Go Back
+ servings
baked mac and cheese

Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe

Making quick and easy homemade baked mac and cheese recipe. Family favorite and extremely delicious to have best creamy macaroni and cheese.
5 from 1 vote
Print Pin
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: International, Western
Keyword: baked mac and cheese, baked mac and cheese recipe, homemade baked mac and cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 3 Persons
Calories: 750kcal
Author: Hinz

Ingredients

  • Elbow Macaroni - 256 gms 2 Cups
  • Butter - 3 Tsp
  • Flour - ½ Cup
  • Milk - 3 Cups
  • Salt - ½ Tsp
  • Black Pepper - ½ Tsp
  • Garlic Powder - ½ Tsp
  • Cream Cheese - 2 Cubes
  • Mozzarella Cheese
  • Panko Bread crumbs - 1 Cup
  • Butter - 2 Tbsp
  • Parsley For Garnish

Instructions

  • Boil elbow macaroni in hot water for about 8 minutes.
  • After 8 minutes, drain the water and rinse macaroni with tap water to avoid cluttering.
  • Cheese Sauce Preparation: In a pan, add butter and let it melt for few seconds.
  • Add flour and quickly stir until it forms a thick paste.
  • Add milk and make a thick sauce.
  • Now season with salt, peppers, and garlic powder.
  • Add cream cheese and make the thick cheese sauce.
  • Now add boiled macaroni and mix well.
  • Set the macaroni in a baking dish.
  • Topped with mozzarella cheese.
  • In a separate bowl, add panko breadcrumbs and butter and mix well.
  • Make a layer of butter panko at the top of macaroni and cheese.
  • Bake at 220c and 428F for about 20 to 25 minutes.
  • Take it out and enjoy!

Notes

  • Over boiling can make the Macaroni Mushy: Pasta is delicate and overcooking can make it mushy while eating so you need to careful during boiling. Boiled macaroni for about 8 minutes on the stovetop. It needs to be 95% done and the rest of the 5% will cook while baking.
  • Stove temperature needs to down when adding butter and flour as high temperature can make it burned that will ruin the taste. 
  • Continuous stir the sauce otherwise it will sit at the bottom and make like a rubber.
  • Best cheese combination for mac and cheese? You can use different options of cheese in this recipe. Here I used cream cheese cubes but you can use them as per your availability. Mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan, Monterey Jack, and Colby make the best texture of the cheesy cream sauce. Gruyere is the people's favorite! Package processed American cheese is also the option to use.
  • If you don't have panko then use the normal breadcrumbs and make a paste with butter. It will make a crispy crunchy texture after baking.
  • Don't over-bake the pasta otherwise it will be dry and the overall taste will be compromised.

Nutrition

Calories: 750kcal