Best homemade vegetable stock recipe which is easy and helps you to prepare so many recipes. If you have fresh vegetables at home then you can quickly make this veg broth/stock to use in your soup, curries, or have as a clear soup in lunch or dinner great for body detox.
About This Recipe
I personally love to make homemade vegetable stock to prepare my food like veg curry, pulao, and pasta. Here, I am sharing a traditional method of my grandma to make this vegetable stock recipe. She used to add so many vegetables but I am only using that I currently have in my pantry but the method to prepare the stock will remain the same. It's a classic old-style clear vegetable stock which is absolutely superb in taste to try for lunch or dinner with some croutons.
An extremely nutritious and much better option is to use homemade vegetable stock rather than the ready-made vegetable stock that contains preservatives. We will make it with fresh carrots, onions, capsicum, cilantro, and herbs that will make the best homemade stock to use in our recipes.
Vegetables are healthy and richly nutritious fully packed with essential vitamins and minerals that we need for a healthy body. If you are having vegetable stock on daily basis then it will help to improve your vision, digestion also helpful for strengthening bones. Best for glowing and healthy skin. It can prevent heart disease lower the possibility of anemia and helps to reduce weight as its rich in fiber.
If you are having flu or dealing with a cold then make a hot bowl of vegetable stock add some chicken or other meat that you want or simply have with croutons. It will help to get rid of flu to make your body warm.
What should you not put in veg stock?
If you want to have clear and transparent vegetable stock then avoid radish or beetroot. Some people also avoid cabbage in stock but it's good, anti-cholesterol helps to reduce weight fast. I personally use it but if you want you can simply avoid it. You can also use corns, lettuce, bell peppers as an option to create a better taste. Best vegetable stock is always clear, full of taste without bitterness.
Can I make soup with stock?
Yes, you can make soup using homemade vegetable stock. It's a super easy and quick way to prepare the soup bowl. You can also use broth and stock both equally to make your soups.
Is vegetable stock and broth the same?
Yes, it's the same in the case of vegetable stock. The difference occurs when prepared with meat.
How do you take the bitterness out of vegetables?
Bitterness comes up when vegetables are not fresh or not sauteed well during the making. Sometimes over usage of spices and herbs makes it bitter. If you are using more onion without balancing the vegetable then bitterness comes up.
Follow the below step when making your stock:
- Use fresh and properly washed vegetables.
- Saute the garlic and vegetable for a few minutes. This step will help to get rid of vegetable rawness.
- Don't over spice the stock.
- Use the proper quantity of vegetables. Over usage of onion can make the stock bitter.
What to do If your Stock is Bitter in Taste?
Simple add lemon juice by adding little sugar and mixing well.
(Avoid this step if you are diabetic or have health issues).
How long to cook?
The ideal time to cook on slow heat for about 30 to 40 minutes. In this way, the juices within the vegetables will release in a more concentrated way and you will get thick and concentrated vegetable stock.
So let's move to Hinz Kitchen and start creating this simple vegetable stock recipe.
Make it step by step in an easy way.
Carrots | Onion | Capsicum | Celery | Cabbage | Tomatoes | Garlic | Salt | Extra Virgin Olive Oil | Cilantro (Green Coriander ) | Cinnamon - 2 Sticks | Fennel Seeds | Coriander Seeds - ½ Tsp | Black Pepper | Black Pepper Powder | Lemon Juice | Water - 4 Glasses
How to Make
Wash, clean, and cut all vegetables to start the cooking process. Heat up the pan and generously drizzle extra virgin olive oil. Saute chopped garlic, as it starts to change the color then add chopped tomatoes. Saute for few minutes until tomatoes start to release water. Now add carrot slices, capsicum cubes, celery, and sliced cabbage. Mix it well! Season with salt and black pepper. Also add cinnamon sticks, fennel seeds, coriander seeds. Add 4 glasses of water. Stir well and cover the pan. Cook for about 40 minutes on low medium heat on the stovetop. After 40 minutes, strain the vegetables using a fine strainer.
Now store it for use. If you are serving the veg stock in a bowl then add lemon juice and season with black pepper.
How to Store
It's simple and easy to store in form of cubes as it will be easy to use. You can place the stock in ice cube molds and freeze it. After freezing take it out and place it in a plastic bag for later use.
Make sure to store on freezing point. So keep it in your freezer.
You can store the stock for 1 or 2 weeks.
How to Use
You can use stock while making rice. I personally make veg pulao using veg stock. You can also use in curries and are quite helpful in making juicy paste recipes.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
You Might Like This
Homemade Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups Carrots
- 1 cup Onion
- ½ cup Capsicum
- 1 cup Celery
- 1 cup Cabbage
- 1 cup Tomatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Salt To Taste
- 3 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Cilantro (Chopped)
- 2 sticks Cinnamon (1")
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds – 1 Tsp
- ½ tsp Coriander Seeds
- 15 seeds Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice optional
- 4 glasses Water
- Heat up the pan and add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic and as it started changing the color then add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute for few minutes until tomatoes start to release water.
- Now add carrot slices, capsicum cubes, celery and sliced cabbage.
- Mix it well!
- Season with salt
- Add black pepper, cinnamon sticks, fennel seeds, coriander seed.
- Now add 4 glasses of water.
- Mix well, cover the pan and cook for about 40 minutes on low medium heat.
- After 40 minutes, strain the vegetables using a fine strainer.
- Now store it for use.
- If you are serving the veg stock in a bowl then add lemon juice and season with black pepper.
- To make clear and transparent vegetable stock, don't use beetroot or reddish.
- Use the stock to make pasta, veg curry, pulao, or soup.
- Make sure to use fresh vegetables.
- Stale veggies can add bitterness to stock.
- If the soup is bitter in taste then add little sugar with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- It's better to cook stock on low heat for about 40 to 45 minutes to extract all the juices from veggies.