Tandoori Chicken in Oven (baked or broil) gives you the same taste as you eat in restaurants. Tender, juicy, and moist chicken is the perfect dinner idea! If you are craving Indian tandoori chicken then this recipe is for you.
What a great idea to make chicken marinated with yogurt and masala and then baked in oven to give tandoori flavor. The absolutely juicy, tender, and delicious chicken will be ready in no time. If you are looking at how to make tandoori chicken at home then look at the step-by-step video recipe to follow the quick steps.
To be very honest the baking aroma of chicken will make you hasty to have this chicken. Once you make then you will surely make it again.
About This Recipe
It's an authentic recipe from Punjab, India where people used to marinate chicken in Indian spices (tandoori masala) and then place it to roast in tandoor. Basically, the tandoor is a desi oven made with clay. As the recipe gets popular all around the world so people start making it in the oven, griller, or over the charcoal.
In Pakistani and Indian recipes, tandoori chicken has a special placement on the table and people loved to serve on special occasions like family get-togethers and parties. It is one of the hottest menu dish in the Pakistani wedding.
Chicken: To make tandoori chicken, it's recommended to take chicken with tandoori cuts and mark them properly. I personally prefer to take chicken without skin as it makes the best taste after baking in the oven.
Yogurt: The main taste of tandoori chicken comes up with yogurt. It's recommended to take thick and nonwatery yogurt.
Spices: Add salt, black pepper, and red peppers according to your taste.
Spices: It's essential to add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, and Garam masala.
Roasted Gram Flour (besan): Must add gram flour in this marination and if you don't have then skip it. Roasted gram flour creates a nutty flavor in roasted chicken. Alternatively, you can use roasted chickpea powder.
Ginger Garlic Paste: It will add flavor to spices and the most important ingredient of tandoori chicken.
Oil: Added oil for lubrication. In this way, the chicken will be juicy and tender after baking in the oven.
How to Make in Oven?
Marination: To make this delicious chicken, you only need a few ingredients. First, you will take thick yogurt and then add Indian spices to make a perfect tandoori masala. In spices use red chili powder, coriander, turmeric, and most important the Garam masala powder that makes a perfect taste in chicken. Don't forget to add oil in marination as it will make the lubrication in chicken. Marinate the chicken for a minimum of 2 hours otherwise, you can marinate for overnight to get the best flavor of the chicken.
Bake The Chicken: Then the baking part comes up, you only need to place the marinated chicken in a preheated oven on a greased tray and bake for about 40 minutes at 220 degrees.
Broil The Chicken: To add a perfect tandoori texture in the chicken, broil it for 10 to 15 minutes on 220 degrees.
Take it out from the oven and serve! To make the chicken more tempting, I have added onion rings and some veggies to bake with chicken.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Tips to Make Tender and Juicy
- Take the best cut of chicken so the marination can deeply absorb in chicken.
- Make sure to use proper ingredients to prepare marination.
- Don't make the marination runny or watery otherwise the chicken will realease water during baking.
- Marination needs to stick to chicken pieces to give it the perfect flavor.
- Temperature management is more important to make the best chicken.
- Don't overcook the chicken otherwise, it will taste like rubber.
What to Serve With?
There are many options to serve with tandoori chicken. Serving ideas could be different for lunch or dinner. I personally love to share these dishes when serving tandoori chicken at dinner. I feel incomplete without Naan and Roasted Veggies are my favorite to serve as a side dish. Here are some more ideas...
How to Keep Tandoori Chicken Moist?
To make the chicken moist, juicy, and tender 'brining' is important. Brining is the cooking technique in which you cut the chicken and leave it in salty cold water for half an hour. After that, you can rinse with fresh water and move forward with your recipe.
You can store with marination and after cooking. If you store it before marination then store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for 2 to 3 weeks. When you need it then take it back and defrost in the microwave and cook it accordingly with your preferred method.
If you are storing after cooking then place in an airtight container and refrigerate for 5 to 6 days. When you need to take it out, just microwave and eat. You can drizzle little oil or butter and bake for 5 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. It will taste like freshly baked chicken.
How to Cook in Microwave Convection Oven
Preheat the microwave before 10 minutes of baking and set the temperature to 220°C or 428°F. Place the marinated chicken in the microwave oven and cook for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn the chicken to cook from another side. Reduce the oven temperature to 200°C and cook for 15 minutes. Make sure to add oil/ghee to the chicken to avoid dryness and add more lubrication to the chicken. Broil the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes. For this turn on the grill (upside) of the oven.
Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
Preheat the air fryer to 180°C. Give a generously spray of oil to the air fryer basket. Place the marinated chicken in the basket and lightly spray the oil over the chicken to make it lubricated while frying.
Cook it for about 25 minutes. After 15 minutes, flip the chicken pieces to fry from another side.
Take it out and serve!
It's a mouthwatering experience to make tandoori chicken in the oven. Here is step by step video recipe to follow the quick directions. First, bake the chicken then give time to broil. It will give you a perfect texture and taste for chicken.
You Might Like This
Tandoori Chicken in Oven (Baked / Broil)
- 250 g Chicken 2 tandoori pieces
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Gram Flour Besan (Roasted)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- STEP 1:
- Prepare Chicken:
- Cut the chicken in Tandoori Pieces.
- Mark Chicken with deep cuts.
- Now wash and make it dry to release water.
- STEP 2:
- Marinate the Chicken:
- In a bowl, add thick yogurt, salt, red chili, coriander, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and roasted cumin.
- Also, add ginger garlic paste.
- Add oil and whisk all the ingredients to make a thick paste.
- Now add chicken pieces and mix well with the masala to give it a good coat.
- Now cover and Marinate the chicken for 4 to 6 hours. In my case, I gave it 2 hours for marination.
- STEP 3
- Set the Baking Platter
- Drizzle some oil on the baking surface and brush it up.
- Place the chicken in baking dish with some distance.
- Bake in the oven at 220 degrees centigrade for 40 minutes.
- Now the chicken is 'Tandoori Chicken' ready to serve.
- Clearly mark the chicken so it can absorb the marination.
- Tap to dry the chicken before marination.
- Marinate for longer hours (4 to 6 hours recommended) can make the chicken more juicy and tender in flavor.
- In baking dish, don't forget to layer with oil otherwise the chicken will stick.
- Make sure to add oil or butter in marination so it will make the chicken more juicy and tender also it will not dry up right after baking.