Chicken tikka biryani is one of the best biryani that people love to eat in South Asia, especially in Pakistan and India. Golden chicken pieces marinated in tikka masala and roasted in a pan make a perfect layer with basmati rice. The smoky and steamy tikka biryani with charcoal aroma tempts to eat everyone.
Are you starving, let's make it...
It's easy to make sizzling and smoky chicken tikka biryani recipe with homemade spice mix (masala) at home. You can make it on the stovetop, oven, and instant pot. First prepared pan-fried tikka then cooked in a curry and then layered with boiled basmati rice. Smoked with charcoal gives a perfect bbq aroma that makes it tempting to eat.
It seems like biryani making is a lengthy process but here I tried to make it simple so anyone can easily try this recipe at home kitchen. First, marinate the chicken with special homemade biryani masala and then pan-fried to give it a significant tandoori color. Then prepare curry with leftover chicken marination. Layered with boiled rice and tikka. Finally smoked with ignited coal that's a fun part of this recipe. I cooked it for dinner and my whole family was starving to eat this. Smoking process makes it aromatic and gives the perfect aroma of bbq.
On a personal note, if you didn't tried tikka biryani so far then give it a try it will really make a difference in your biryani taste collection. When I first cook this biryani, I wasn't sure about the taste and now literally fell in love with this taste. It's an ideal recipe for Pakistani and Indian families to cook on dawat, family get-togethers or parties.
What is Chicken Tikka Biryani
In a variety of biryani recipes, chicken tikka biryani brings a different and unique taste when you marinate the chicken in biryani masala and prepare chicken curry by roasting or shallow frying the chicken. (you can also bake the chicken in the oven). Then make layering of boiled steamy rice with chicken curry and roasted chicken. Steaming with ignited coal smoke gives it a perfect flavor and makes it special and unique biryani for foodies.
SEE ALSO: Sofiani White Biryani
Homemade Biryani Masala Ingredients
Garam Masala - 2 Tsp, Red Chilli - 1 Tsp, Garlic Powder - ½ Tsp, Ginger Powder - ½ Tsp, Cumin Powder - ½ Tsp, Salt - ½ Tsp, Black Salt - ⅓ Tsp, Mango Powder (Amchur) - ⅓ Tsp
Tikka Marination Ingredients
Chicken Tikka Pieces - 3, Yogurt - 1 Cup, Biryani Masala 1 Tbsp
Mix all the ingredients and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
Tikka Curry Ingredients
Oil - 1 Tbsp, Grated Ginger garlic - 2 Tsp, Chicken marination paste Tomatoes (peeled) - 1 Cup, Brown Onion - 1 tablespoon
Long grain Basmati Rice - 2 Cups, Whole Garam Masala, Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp, Cinnamon: 3", Fresh Coriander, Fennel Seeds: ½ Tsp, Bay leaves 3
Biryani Layering Ingredients
How to Make Chicken Tikka Biryani
Preparation of Tikka Biryani Masala
- In a bowl, add homemade garam masala, red chili powder, garlic, ginger, and cumin powder along with salt, black salt, and mango powder (locally famous as Amchor powder).
- Give it a good mix. (Here is the complete video and process to make biryani masala powder).
- Take the golden pieces of chicken and give them deep tikka marks with the knife.
- In a bowl, add yogurt and biryani masala and mix well to make it homogenous in texture.
- Now marinate chicken pieces for 30 minutes (minimum). Overnight marination can make the chicken more tender, juicy, and delicious.
Roasting / Pan frying the Chicken
In a pan, add oil and heat it up. Roast or shallow fry the chicken until it gets golden from all sides. Cover the pan for 15 to 20 minutes to roast the chicken from the inside. Take the chicken out from oil and use the same pan to make curry.
Prepare Tikka Curry for Biryani
In the same pan of roasted chicken, add grated ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes until it gets aromatic and starts changing color. Add chicken marination paste (not chicken) and cook until it makes a perfect curry texture and separates oil from pan sides.
Then add freshly peeled tomato cubes. Cover for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes and mix it well with curry to make it smooth and blended with curry.
Crushed the crispy brown onion with hands. (Don't make the paste). Add the crushed brown onion to the curry and mix it well. Pour water and mix well again.
Cover for 10 to 15 minutes to make perfectly cooked curry for tikka.
Preparation of Rice
Soak the basmati rice for 15 to 30 minutes.
Boil water in big pan and add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp, Cinnamon: 3", Fresh Coriander, Fennel Seeds: ½ Tsp, Bay leaves 3).
Drain the water of soaked rice. Add ricec in hot boiling water with salt. Gently mix with spoon. Cover for 3 minutes on high heat.
Cook the rice 80% rest will be done while steaming
After 3 minutes, carefully drain water from boiled rice using a strainer.
How to Cook Biryani Rice Perfectly
Layering & Steaming
In a deep curry pan, add a layer of boiled rice. Add curry and spread all over the rice but don't mix it.
Add 2nd layer of boiled rice. Evenly squeeze fresh lemon on the rice layer.
Make a mixture of milk and yellow food color (Saffron). Pour the milk on all sides of the rice. Evenly spread with a spoon only at the first layer of rice. Sprinkle chopped coriander.
Then sprinkle brown onion and fresh coriander.
Place the roasted chicken tikka pieces at top.
In the middle, place the ignited coal on aluminum foil. Drizzle little oil on ignited coal to make it smoky.
Cover the pan for 20 minutes on low/medium heat to make it steamy.
After 20 minutes, remove the coal and mix the biryani.
Tasty and delicious "Chicken Tikka Biryani" is ready to serve.
Make biryani with Tikka Masala Spice Mix
Tikka Biryani Video
Today, I am making this special chicken tikka biryani for dinner. So you can watch step by step process to prepare at home kitchen. If you are a beginner or bachelor then it's a perfect idea for you to give it a try. Super easy and add the best biryani taste on your dining.
Smoky, spicy, and masala wali tasty Chicken tikka biryani brings an irresistible taste for foodies. Once you try, you will make it again and again.
My entire kitchen was smoky and the heady aroma of chicken tikka steaming tempted everyone to have it. I know when you will make this, you will relate the same. It's a delicious, easy and quick tikka biryani dinner idea for foodies to try. Here is a step by step video recipe that you can follow...
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking.
Here are a few biryani tips to make with chicken tikka:
- Marinate chicken for longer hours can make the chicken more tasty and juicy as the marination penetrates into chicken pores to make it tasty from inside.
- Don't over roast the chicken. You can also bake or bbq the chicken pieces.
- Avoid adding chicken pieces to curry otherwise, it will give you the korma biryani flavor.
- Don't overcook the rice during boiling.
- Prefer to place chicken pieces at the top of biryani to make it fully smoky.
- Make sure the coal is fully ignited so the smoke can stay for long duration.
- Drizzle oil on burnt coal and quickly cover the pan so the smoke can stay inside.
- Avoid opening the pan lid when the smoke is spreading.
- Give it 5 to 10 minutes after steaming to serve biryani. It's a settling time for rice.
- Mix biryani from the sides of pan. Avoid running spoon from middle otherwise, the rice will break.
How to Store and Freeze
How to Store Tikka biryani for a long time?
Yes, you can store biryani for 1 week in freezer. Pack the leftover biryani in an airtight container and place it in freezer. Make sure the biryani should be on room temperature while storing in a container. Don't freeze for more than a week as it's homemade and doesn't carry food preservatives.
How to reheat frozen tikka biryani?
Take out from freezer, microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Now shift to a pan, cover with lid, and heat up on stovetop on low heat for about 10 minutes. Make sure the flame and heat should be on the low side. Slow heating will add steam in the biryani and it will give you fresh taste.
Tikka Biryani Serving
In Middle east, people love to have Dakous (Arabic tomato sauce) with rice and once I tried my tikka biryani with dakous and believe me it was the best match.
Q & A
Well, tikka biryani is cooked with roasted or bbq meat with the layering of tikka masala curry on rice. It's smoky and has a heady charcoal aroma to invite foodies.
Biryani, is cooked with meat or veg curry and then layered with basmati rice. Steamed and served!
The infused flavor of tikka biryani is different from the standard biryani recipe.
It's a charcoal smoke that adds bbq flavor in chicken and rice on steam. Due to this smoke, people love to eat chicken tikka biryani and that's the reason why it's trending with time.
Basmati rice is the best to make biryani. It's a long-grain rice with a tempting aroma. Here is the step-by-step direction to cook basmati rice for biryani.
If you don't have basmati rice then use jasmine rice.
It's a biryani prepared with tandoori chicken baked in the oven or cooked on charcoal. Then prepared curry with tandoori masala marinade. Layered and steamed with basmati rice with the topping of tandoori chicken on top.
It’s a quick and easy Chicken Tikka biryani recipe that you can easily make at home for lunch and dinner and serve your family and friends. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
You Might Like This
More Biryani Ideas
Chicken Tikka Biryani
- Preparation of Biryani Masala
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ teaspoon Black Salt
- ⅓ teaspoon Mango Powder Amchur
- Chicken Tikka Marination:
- 3 Chicken Tikka Pieces
- 1 Cup Yogurt – 1 Cup
- Chicken Tikka Curry:
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 teaspoon Grated Ginger garlic
- 2 tablespoon Chicken marination paste
- 1 cup Tomatoes peeled
- 1 tablespoon Brown Onion
- Preparation of Rice:
- 2 cups Rice
- Whole Garam Masala
- Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp, Cinnamon: 3″, Fresh Coriander, Fennel Seeds: ½ Tsp, Bay leaves 3
- Biryani Layering
- 1 pinch Yellow food color
- 100 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 cubes Ignited Coal for Smoke
- Preparation of Biryani Masala:
- In a bowl, add homemade garam masala, then add red chili powder, garlic, ginger, and cumin powder along with salt, black salt, and mango powder (locally famous as Amchor powder).
- Give it a good mix.
- Marinate the Chicken:
- Mark the Chicken tikka pieces
- In a bowl, add yogurt and biryani masala.
- Mix it well to make it homogenous in texture.
- Now marinate chicken pieces for 30 minutes (minimum). Overnight marination can make the chicken delicious.
- Roasting/Pan-frying the Chicken
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Roast or shallow fry the chicken until it gets golden from all sides.
- Cover the pan for 15 to 20 minutes to roast the chicken from inside.
- Take the chicken out from the oil and use the same pan to make curry.
- Preparation of Curry:
- In the same pan of roasted chicken, add grated ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes until it gets aromatic and starts changing its color.
- Now add chicken marination paste and cook until it makes a perfect curry texture and releases oil.
- Then add tomato cubes. Cover for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes and mix it well with curry to make it smooth and blended with curry.
- Crushed the crispy brown onion with my hands. (Don’t make the paste)
- Add the crushed brown onion to curry and mix it well.
- Pour water and mix well again.
- Cover for 10 to 15 minutes to make well-cooked curry.
- Preparation of Biryani Rice
- Soak the rice for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Boil water in a big pan and add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp, Cinnamon: 3″, Fresh Coriander, Fennel Seeds: ½ Tsp, Bay leaves 3)
- Drain the water of soaked rice.
- Add in hot boiling water.
- Now add salt
- Gently mix.
- Cover for 3 minutes on high heat.
- Cook the rice 80% rest will be done on steaming
- Drain rice water using a strainer.
- Layering & Steaming
- In a curry pan, add boiled rice layer.
- Add Tikka curry and spread evenly.
- Add 2nd layer of boiled rice.
- Evenly squeeze fresh lemon on the rice layer.
- Now make a mixture of milk and yellow food color (Saffron).
- Pour on all sides of rice. Evenly spread with a spoon only at the first layer of rice.
- Now sprinkle brow onion and fresh coriander.
- Place the roasted chicken tikka pieces at the top.
- In the middle, place the ignited coal on aluminum foil.
- Drizzle little oil on ignited coal to make it smoky.
- Cover the pan for 20 minutes on low/medium heat to make it steamy.
- After 20 minutes, remove the coal and mix the biryani.
- Tasty and delicious “Chicken Tikka Biryani” is ready to serve.
- Marinating chicken for longer hours can make the chicken juicier and tasty.
- Avoid over roasting the chicken pieces.
- You can bake the chicken or also use the bbq chicken to make biryani.
- Don't add tikka chicken in curry.
- Avoid overcooking the rice during boiling.
- First, make a curry layer then place chicken at the top to make a smoke effect.
- Avoid opening the pan lid when the smoke is spreading.