Do you know the king of Pakistani kabab is the most popular Shami kabab with beef or mutton that every house of Pakistan have in their freezer to serve with dinner, snacks or in breakfast. It's a soft, juicy and tender pan fried patties tempts to eat due to unique aroma and taste.
Authentic Shami Kabab Recipe: One of the best kabab recipe that you can easily prepare with beef/mutton keema (ground meat), chana dal (yellow split peas / split bengal gram) and spices. Boil it, mash it, add herbs and make kabab to fry.
If you are looking at how to make Shami kabab then follow the recipe video to get quick directions to prepare. It's the best recipe that you can make at home and serve it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also, a great idea for a kids lunch box as it's simple and easy to eat.
Why is it called Shami? Is it from Shaam?
Yes, many people ask about the name origination of Shami kabab. Shaam means evening relates to dinner in Persian.
Tips To Make Soft Kabab
- If you like resha in shami kabab then use meat boti rather using mince (keema).
- Make sure to balance the proportion of meat and chana daal to create perfect kabab.
- If you want to store kabab then avoid raw onion when making shami. Onion will change the taste in long run.
- In the same way, avoid fresh mint in shami kabab. In long run it will decolor the kabab. You can use fresh coriander.
- If the kabab mixture gets runny then add roasted besan to make perfect patti.
- To make soft and chewy kabab, don't overcook the mince and lentil.
- If the shami kabab gets broken while frying then adds a layer of egg or mix the egg in shami kabab before making Patti.
People from India and Pakistan love to eat Shami kabab as it's quick and easy to prepare. The best recipe for working moms. It's healthy and nutritious full of proteins. In a video recipe tutorial, you can follow the direction to prepare this recipe in your home kitchen.
Let's move to Hinz cooking kitchen and make this delicious "mutton Shami kabab" to share with your family and loved ones. I am sure they are gonna love it.
Mutton/beef Keema - 500 gms | Chana dal - 1 Cup (Soaked) | Onion - 1 Medium Size | Garlic - 4 cloves | Ginger - 3x3 inches | Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp | Coriander Seeds - 1 Tsp | Whole Red Peper - 6 | Salt - 1 Tsp | Garam Masala Powder - 1.5 Tsp | Water - 700 ml | Fresh Coriander - 1 Cup | Green Chilies - 4 (Sliced) | Egg - 1 | Oil for frying
How to Make
Boiling Kabab Mixture: Soak Chana dal for 1 hour or minimum 30 minutes. In a cooking pan, add mutton mince (keema), soaked chana dal. Also add garlic cloves, ginger, whole red pepper, coriander seeds, salt, and garam masala powder. Add 700 ml water in a pan and mix all the ingredients through the spoon. Now cover the pan and cook on medium-low heat until it gets tender. It took 30 to 35 minutes to get ready. After 30 minutes, check the kabab softness through hands. If there is some water in a pan then evaporate on high heat.
Grinding: Kabab mixture should be dry before grinding. Now in a grinder, add fresh coriander and green chilies and coarsely ground it. Now add kabab mixture in a grinder and give it a smooth grind. Add 1 egg and blend it in the kabab mixture by grind again for a few seconds.
Take the mixture out. Add freshly chopped green coriander and green chilies as per your choice and make kabab and set in a tray.
Pan Frying: Pour oil in heated pan and fry kabab from both sides on medium heat. Fry as many as you want and rest of the kabab can be stored.
Note: If you like, you can make a beaten egg coating before frying.
Serve with paratha, green chutney or rice.
Simple, easy and tasty recipe of mutton Shami kabab. Try this in your home kitchen and share your experience and result in our Facebook group of foodies. You can try this recipe with Green Chutney to enhance the flavor. At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
How To Store, Freeze & Fry
Store the leftover cooked kabab in the refrigerator for 3 days.
You can freeze shami kabab in a refrigerator for 01 months. Here is the step by step method to freeze shami kabab.
- Make a patti and keep it on try side by side and keep in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After 01 hour, take the try out and place shami kabab in any other plastic bag.
- As the kabab is frozen so it will not stick together.
- Before placing kabab in a plastic bag, make sure it needs to be at freezing point otherwise it will stick together.
- Watch the recipe video to store and freeze shami kabab.
How to fry frozen Shami kebabs?
It's simple and easy to fry frozen kabab using the below methods:
- Take out kabab and microwave for few seconds and fry
- If you don't use the microwave then take out 30 minutes before frying and then fry.
- If you are in hurry and want to fry then place the kabab in a frying pan for frying and cover with the lid. Initially keep the temperature high then turn to medium to low to cook from inside. Once the one side is golden brown, flip the kabab to get the color on another side.
- Sandwiches: Take toasted bread slices, place kabab in middle, apply green chutney or ketchup as per your taste. Make a thin layer of omelette and have it. Using similar method, you can also make bun kabab.
- Serve as snacks with chutney
- Shami Wraps: It's simple and easy to make wraps with leftover roti or pita bread.
- For Lunch Box: Fry kabab for kids schools or quick as quick meal.
- Serve with Rice or Roti/paratha with a green salad.
How to Fry Shami Kabab Perfectly?
You can fry fresh and frozen shami kabab in oil. If your shami kabab is made with proper proportion of meat and lentil then it will not break. You can simple shallow fry kabab from both sides. If you think, your kabab is not perfect to fry then coat with egg and then fry. In this way, it will not break and give a good taste. If you are allergic to eggs then coat with all-purpose flour and fry. In this way, it will get a crisp texture from the outside and soft, juicy from the inside.
Why did Shami Kabab break?
Normally shami kabab breaks due to the improper addition of meat and lentil. If you add more chana daal then it will break. Make sure to add the balance proportion of dal and meat in your kabab mixture to make a perfect patti. In case your kabab is breaking then add roasted besan to fix the issue. If you already make a Patti and kabab is breaking then coat with egg before frying.
You Might Like This
Shami Kabab Recipe
- Mutton Keema – 500 gms Mutton can replaced with beef keema
- Chana dal – 1 Cup Soaked
- Onion – 1 Medium Size
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 3×3 inches
- Cumin Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 Tsp
- Whole Red Peper – 6
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1.5 Tsp
- Water – 700 ml
- Fresh Coriander – 1 Cup
- Green Chilies – 4 Sliced
- Egg – 1
- Oil for frying
- Soaked Chana dal for 1 hour or minimum 30 minutes.
- In a cooking pan, add mutton mince (keema), soaked chana dal.
- Also add garlic cloves, ginger, whole red pepper, coriander seeds, salt, and garam masala powder.
- Add 700 ml water in a pan and mix all the ingredients through the spoon.
- Now cover the pan and cook on medium-low heat until it gets tender. It took 30 to 35 minutes to get ready.
- After 30 minutes, check the kabab softness through hands.
- If there is some water in a pan then evaporate on high heat. Kabab mixture should be dry before grinding.
- Now in a grinder, add fresh coriander and green chilies and coarsely ground it.
- Now add kabab mixture in a grinder and give it a smooth grind.
- In the end, add 1 egg and blend it in the kabab mixture by grind again for a few seconds.
- Take the mixture out.
- Make kabab and set in a tray.
- Now fry kabab as you required.
- Store the remaining kabab in the refrigerator. You can use these kababs for 1 month.
- In hot oil, shallow fry kabab from both sides until it gets nice golden brown color.
- Serve with paratha, green chutney or rice.
- If you like resha kabab then prepare with meat boti rather using ground meat.
- Don't make too much water during boiling kabab mixture.
- Properly manage the proportion of dal and meat as it will make a big influence on kabab taste.
- If you want to store shami kabab then avoid raw onion when making shami. Onion will change the taste in long run.
- If kabab mixture gets thin then add roasted gram flour in it.
- Don't skip egg as it will give quality frying to kabab.
- Also avoid too much during frying.
Updated: 29 July 2021, This recipe has been updated with more information and photos.