Green Peas Pulao is the seasonal matar chawal famous as matar pulao is one of the most popular Indian, Pakistani and Bengali pulao recipe that foodies love to eat with curry and kebabs. Prepared with long grain basmati rice, garam masala, and using herbs and spices.
Today, I am making this winter special green peas pulao with fresh and seasonal Pakistani green peas (matar). It's the best rice recipe that you can serve with chicken curry and kebabs.
In veg recipes of India, peas pulao has a special placement on dining that excites foodies to eat in no time due to its scrumptious taste and lip-smacking aroma.
As I recall my memory, my mother used to make peas pulao many times during the winter season as it brings fresh and seasonal green peas which makes the best pulao. Full of taste and aroma makes it a more special dish for lunch or dinner. I personally love the serve matar pulao with shami kabab and raita for lunch. In dinner, chicken curry is recommended to serve with peas pulao.
About Peas Pulao
It's an Indo-Pakistani rice dish prepared with green peas (matar) by adding whole garam masala, onion, and garlic. To make tasty and aromatic peas pulao, Basmati rice is the most preferred rice to prepare.
SEE ALSO: Matar Pulao Recipe in Hindi / Urdu
Ghee/Clarified Butter - 1 Tbsp
Whole Garam Masala: Black Pepper (Kali Mirch) - 12 | Cinnamon (Darchini) - 2 Sticks | Cumin Seeds (Zeera) - 1 Tsp | Green Cardamom (Hari Illaichi) - 4 | Black Cardamom (Bari Illaichi) - 2 | Bay Leaves (Tez Patta) - 2 | Cloves (Laung) - 4 | Ani Seed (Badyan ka phool) - 1
Onion (Pyaz) - 1
Garlic Paste - 1 Tsp
Salt - 2 Tsp
Rice (Soaked) - 1.5 Cups
Water - 2 Glasses
How to Make Peas Pulao
Heat up the pan and melt Clarified butter/ghee. Add whole garam masala and let it pop for a few seconds.
Add finely sliced onions and fry until it changes color. Add salt during frying the onion to make it crispy. Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes. Add fresh green peas (matar) and mix well. As the peas start frying and start to change color instantly pour water.
Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes to soften the peas.
Now add soaked rice and give it a good mix. Adjust the salt at this level. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes. Initially cook on high heat for 5 minutes then turn the heat to medium to low until the rice gets ready.
Tasty and delicious "Peas Pulao" is ready to serve.
Step By Step Preparation
These tips will help you to make perfect peas pulao:
- Use long-grain Basmati rice.
- Soak the rice for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Never soak rice for long hours.
- Don't overcook the peas otherwise, it will deform and decolor.
- Fry the peas as you add in oil. Saute for a few seconds. Make sure it should not change color.
- Take a proper measure of water while adding soak rice. (1 cup rice = 2 cup water)
- Always add rice to hot boiling water. It will help the grain of rice to perfectly cook from inside.
- Initially cook the rice for 5 minutes on high heat after that turn the heat to medium to low.
- Never keep on steam for too long.
- Always run the spoon on rice from the sides of the pan to avoid breaking. Running spoon from the middle can deform the rice.
Here are some ideas to serve with peas pulao.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Peas Pulao Video
If you are looking, how to make peas pulao recipe then watch video tutorial to get quick directions.
It's been a wonderful experience to make aromatic peas pulao. Here is a step by step video recipe that you can easily cook at home kitchen. So if you are a beginner and looking how to make 'peas pulao recipe' then watch this quick tutorial.
It’s a quick and easy peas pulao recipe that you can easily make at home for lunch and dinner to serve your family and friends. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and tea time. Explore the recipe collections to get your desired recipes.
Q & A
May I Use Frozen Peas to Make Matar Pulao?
The best taste comes with fresh and seasonal peas that can only be available in the winter season. So if you are making out of season then simply use frozen peas. I don't prepare to use canned peas to make matar pulao.
Is Peas Pulao Healthy?
Peas are packed with multivitamins and minerals. Great source of zinc, vitamin C & E also contains antioxidants that help to strengthen the immune system. Good for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and arthritis.
You Might Like This
Peas Pulao Recipe (Matar Chawal)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee/Clarified Butter
- Whole Garam Masala:
- 12 Black Pepper Kali Mirch
- 3" Sticks Cinnamon Darchini
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds Zeera
- 4 Green Cardamom Hari Illaichi
- 2 Black Cardamom Bari Illaichi
- 2 Bay Leaves Tez Patta
- 4 Cloves Laung
- 1 Ani Seed Badyan ka phool
- 1 Onion Pyaz (medium size) chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1.5 cups Rice Soaked
- 2 Glasses Water
- Heat up the pan.
- Add Clarified butter/ghee.
- Now add the whole garam masala and let it pop for a few seconds.
- Add sliced onion. Fry the onion until it changes color.
- Add salt during frying the onion.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes.
- Add fresh green peas (matar) and mix well.
- As the peas starting frying and change the color instantly pour water.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes to soften the peas.
- Now add soak rice and give it a good mix.
- Adjust the salt at this level.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes.
- Initially cook on high heat for 5 minutes then turn the heat to medium to low until the rice get ready.
- Basmati rice are recommended to make pulao.
- Make sure to the rice should not be soaked for long time. 10 to 15 minutes are enough for premium quality basmati rice.
- Overcooking of peas may deform the peas look in rice.
- Shallow frying of peas until it starts to change color will make the peas more delicious.
- Carefully add water to cook rice. For 1 cup soaked rice, 2 cups water will be enough.
- Initially cook rice on high heat for 5 minutes. It will increase the grain size.
- Over steaming can make the rice mushy in texture.
- Always take out rice from the sides of pan. Never run spoon in middle as it will break the rice texture.