Simple and easy Indian chicken stew recipe with coconut milk and without vegetables. I tried this recipe after eating in an Indian restaurant and it comes out so well after trying and perfected in my kitchen. It has a unique taste that makes distinguished from Bengali and Kerala stew recipes. Family favorite recipe for dinner!
It's a delicious Indian spiced chicken stew without vegetables that I tried in my home kitchen and extremely happy as I made it because it has a unique flavor and compelling aroma that compel to eat this recipe in no time. It's the most comforting and satisfying stew recipe to serve on dinner and lunch.
Indian Chicken Stew
Tender and juicy bone in chicken cooked with Indian spices with the gravy of coconut milk on slow heat makes a perfect flavor for everyone. It's not soupy but loaded with thick gravy that makes a super bite with roti, naan or steamed basmati rice.
First I tried this recipe in an Indian restaurant in Dubai. When I visit any new restaurant then I ask about their specialty so the local chef from Kerala told me to try 'Chicken stew'. I was considering it will be like Indian Pakistani style chicken stew but it was a little different as they added coconut milk in the place of cream that makes the dish more tasty and aromatic and was without vegetables.
As I am super freaky about chicken curry so I tried this recipe at home without potatoes for a family get-together and believe me it was finished in no time. It was super tasty and extremely delicious in taste.
In the Subcontinent, people from Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh love to make chicken stew and every region has a different taste and style of making the stew. If you want to try the same recipe in an Indian or Pakistani flavor then avoid using coconut milk in the end. If you want you can replace coconut milk with fresh cream that will give a yummy taste and flavor.
You can try this recipe on family get together, dawat, home parties, and festive events. I hope the recipe will add value to your dining and will give a unique taste to your family and guest.s
Why Do I Love This Recipe
Stew recipes are always so satisfying and keep full for long time. This recipe is superb in terms of taste. In Indian stewed process there are many recipes according to different region like Bengali stew is different from Kerala stew. In the same way, south Indian stew is packed with many flavors.
- This recipe is specifically a traditional curry version prepared with Indian spices and coconut milk on slow heat.
- You can easily manage the consistency of stew thick or thin as per the choice.
- Cooking on stovetop at slow heat connect the flavor of chicken bones, spices, yogurt, ginger garlic, garam masala and coconut milk.
- Quick and easy recipe to serve as family meal.
- Best to serve as main course.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken - 750 gms | Oil - 1.5 tablespoon | Cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon | Whole Red Pepper - 7 | Chopped Onion - ½ Cup | Coriander Seeds - ½ teaspoon | Salt - ½ teaspoon | Ginger Garlic (Chopped) - 1 teaspoon | Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon | Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon | Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon | Yogurt - 1 Cup | Tomato - 1 (Cubes) | Garam Masala Powder - 1 teaspoon | Coconut Milk - 1 Cup | Fresh Coriander for Garnishing
SEE ALSO: How to Make Garam Masala Powder at Home
How To Make Indian Chicken Stew
In a heated pan, pour oil and add cumin seeds with red whole pepper and let it pop for a few seconds. Then add chopped onion and fry until it gets a light pink color. Now add coriander seeds and salt to fry the onions. Also, add ginger-garlic paste and saute on high medium heat. It's time to add chicken and cook on high heat until the chicken changes color. Season with red chili, turmeric, and coriander powder. Add yogurt and tomatoes. Make sure to peel the tomato skin. Cook until it converts into a form of gravy. Now add 100 ml of water. Cover and cook for 25 minutes on low/medium heat. After 25 minutes, add garam masala powder and coconut milk. Cook and cover for the next 10 minutes. Now the 'chicken stew' is ready to serve! Garnish with fresh coriander. Now 'chicken stew' is ready to serve!
It's a quick and easy recipe of 'Indian Chicken Stew' that you can easily make at home and serve your family and friends. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
So let's make this lip smacking 'Indian Chicken Stew Recipe' step by step in an easy way. Watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
What To Serve With Stew?
Q & A
Chicken stew is normally made with chicken and vegetables. The stock of chicken and veggies makes a delicious taste that is normally called a stew.
I tried this recipe without vegetables just used chicken and made it in a stew style using coconut milk. A unique recipe for stew lovers. You can try it as it has a unique taste and flavor that's the reason to share.
You can serve this delicious and aromatic chicken stew with roti and tandoori naan that makes a perfect combination. Many people like it with steam or steam rice but I personally like chapati. If you are serving lunch then try with paratha.
Yes, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week. I personally suggest to consume it before 1 week. Once you pack in an airtight container make sure to release heat (room temperature) before pack. If you are adding vegetables then try to consume within 3 to 4 days.
You Might Like This
Indian Chicken Stew Recipe
- 750 g Chicken
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 7 Whole Red Pepper
- ½ cup Chopped Onion
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 Tomato Cubes
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Fresh Coriander for Garnishing
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Add cumin seeds and red whole pepper and let it pop for a few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion and fry until it gets a light pink color.
- Add coriander seeds and salt to fry onion.
- Saute with ginger-garlic paste and cook on high heat.
- Now add chicken and cook on high heat until chicken changes color.
- Season with red chili, turmeric, and coriander powder.
- Add yogurt and tomatoes. Make sure to peel tomato skin.
- Cook until it converts into a form of gravy.
- Now add 100 ml of water.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes on low/medium heat.
- After 25 minutes, add garam masala powder and coconut milk.
- Cook and cover for the next 10 minutes.
- Now the ‘chicken stew’ is ready to serve!
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Use chicken with bones as it creates more taste in curry.
- Always cook chicken on high heat to make it more juicy, soft, and tender.
- Prefer to use fresh coconut milk and if you don't have then add canned milk.
- If you like to add vegetables then add potato and carrots cubes in the same recipe.
- You can make variations in spice as per your taste buds.