Chicken pulao recipe cooked with long grain basmati rice is the perfect dish to impress your guest. I prepared this Pakistani style one pot pulao using my grand mother recipe. Fluffy rice, tender chicken, and the topping of fried onion is enough to offer a perfect day treat. I just love the inviting aroma of this Pulao.
We are near to celebrating our festive moments of Ramadan iftar and Eid so it will be a great addition.
About Chicken Pulao
Pulao, Pilaf, or pilau whatever you call it gives you a lip-smacking rice dish cooked with basmati rice, and meat with the flavor of garam masala.
Pulao (Pilaf) is the signature dish of every house in India and Pakistan and people make it in different ways. In South Asia and the Middle Eastern region, it’s famous as pilaf. People from Iran, Turkey, Eastern Europe, and Latin America also prepare pilaf in their own style. Every country has a different presentation of pulao according to their taste like some people add veggies along with rice and meat. The Arabic version of pulao comes with meat, rice, and roasted nuts.
The flavor of garam masala, fennels, and coriander with sauteed onion, and garlic makes a perfect flavor to cook chicken, mutton, or lamb with rice. The inviting aroma of cooking pulao spreads so fast and it’s a signature part of this dish.
The stickiness of chicken broth with a soft and fluffy grain of rice just melts in the mouth. Whenever I make pulao it takes me back to cherish my childhood memories to eat pulao with family at lunch. My mother used to make it in a big pot and the whole family love to had it after Friday pray. It was the best time of my childhood that I can’t take back.
Beginners, newlywed girls, or bachelors are so picky to cook rice dishes with ease and convenience. So here I am sharing a quick and easy way to prepare chicken pulao at home in one pot. To make this pulao, you don’t need to indulge in long processes and messy dishes as you can easily prepare in one pot within 40 minutes.
The taste of pulao gives you the blend of garam masala and meat broth with fluffy rice and believe me it makes a perfect combination for all types of taste buds. A good plate of pulao will keep you full for a long time. The nutty color of pulao is also overwhelming and keeps it distinguished from other rice dishes. Chicken pulao recipe Pakistani or Indian both are similar in taste so you can simply enjoy with raita.
What do you like? Pulao or Biryani?
Share in comment section
Chicken: Used chicken pieces with bones that make viscous broth to cook rice.
Rice: Basmati rice are best to cook pulao.
Whole Garam Masala: Cumin seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black Peppercorns, Star Anise, and Bay Leaves used.
Onion: Indian style purple onion used. Avoid white onion.
Ginger Garlic: Used grated ginger garlic. Paste can be used.
Tomato Paste: Freshly ground tomatoes with little water to make a paste. Don't use store bought tomato paste. It will change the taste.
Water: To simmer the chicken or cook the rice.
Spices: Red chili powder, garam masala powder are used with salt.
Green Chilies: Will add flavor and make the flavor spicy.
Fennels + Coriander: Used freshly ground fennels and coriander powder while cooking rice.
How To Make Chicken Pulao
Soak the Rice: Properly wash the rice and soak for 30 minutes to soften the grain for cooking.
Marinate the chicken: In a bowl, add yogurt, salt, and red chili powder and give it a good mix. Add chicken and sprinkle garam masala over it. Mix well to evenly coat the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes or an hour.
Preparation of Pulao Masala: In a pan, add oil and heat it up for a few seconds then add whole garam masala (black pepper, cloves, cumin seeds, cinnamon, star anise (badyan ka Phool). Let it pop for a few seconds then add finely sliced onion and saute until it becomes translucent. Now add freshly grated ginger garlic and saute with onion until it changes the color. Now add marinated chicken and cook on high heat. Keep stirring the chicken. As the chicken starts to change color and oil starts to separate from pan sides then add freshly ground tomato paste and cook again on high heat. As the oil starts to become visible from pan sides then add water or yakhni and give it a good mix.
Add soaked rice, salt, bay leaves, and coarsely ground fennel and coriander powder. Gently mix! And cover with lid. Cook for about 20 minutes. Initially cook rice on high heat for 5 minutes then turn the heat to low to steam the rice.
After 20 minutes, the pulao will be ready. Give 5 to 10 minutes to settle the rice then serve. Sprinkle brown onion at the top as it will complimentarily enhance the taste.
Best Pulao Tips
- Don’t soak rice for a long time (30 minutes are fine). Gently wash the rice until it shows a clean water look.
- To get the best flavor, take chicken with bones. If you are making with boneless chicken then use meat broth (yakhni) to add a specific pulao flavor.
- Avoid turmeric, to get the nutty creamy texture of pulao. By adding turmeric powder or saffron it will turn to pale yellow color.
- The sprinkle of brown onion while steaming or at the time of serving will add more flavor and aroma to pulao. It will give the taste of wedding style pulao that cooks in Daigh (cauldron).
- Always make pulao with premium quality long grain basmati rice. It will add more flavor and aroma. Alternatively, use jasmine or any Egyptian rice.
- Avoid steaming the rice for a long time as it will get mushy in texture.
- Give time to simmer chicken as it will help to release juices from bones that will make delicious pulao. Otherwise, you can use homemade yakhni (meat broth). Don’t use store-bought yakhni cubes in pulao as it will change the taste.
How to Store
Leftover pulao can be stored in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can keep it at your kitchen counter for 24 hours at moderate room temperature. In hot and humid conditions, refrigerate it!
Pulao is normally served with green raita and veg salad. If you want to serve as the main dish then add some sides that will enhance the taste of pulao. I try to make a combo with Shami Kebab, Chicken Curry, or Aloo Gosht.
Chicken Pulao Video
It's a simple, easy, and traditional-style chicken pulao recipe that will make you starve during cooking. Try this in your kitchen and it will be encouraging if you share your experience with us. For easy and quick understanding, watch the recipe tutorial to follow the quick steps. The chicken pulao recipe in Hindi / Urdu so it will be easy for local people to follow.
More Pulao Recipes: Peas Pulao | Pulao Biryani | Chana Pulao | Veg Pulao
More Rice Recipes
Chicken Pulao Recipe Pakistani
- 400 g Chicken (With bones)
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 3 sticks Cinnamon
- 6 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise Badyan ka phool
- 14 Black Pepper
- 1 Onion big sliced
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Grated
- ½ cup Tomato Paste
- 8 Green Chilies
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 teaspoon Fennel + Coriander ground
- Soak the Rice: Throughly rinse the rice and soak for 30 minutes. Itwill soften the rice grain and make it long and fluffy while cooking.
- Marinate the Chicken: In a bowl, add yogurt, salt and red chili powder and give it a good mix. Add chicken and sprinkle garam masala over it. Mix well to evenly coat the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes or an hour.
- Preparation of Pulao Masala: In a pan, add oil and heat it up for few seconds then add whole garam masala (black pepper, cloves, cumin seeds, cinnamon, star anise (badyan). Let it pop for few seconds.
- Add finely sliced onion and saute until it beocme translucent. Now add fresh grate ginger garlic and saute with onion until it changes the color. Now add marinated chicken and cook on high heat. Keep stirring the chicken.
- As the chicken starts to change color and oil starts to separate from pan sides then add freshly ground tomato paste and cook again on high heat. As the oil starts to get visible from pan sides then add water or yakhni and give it a good mix.
- Add soaked rice, salt, bay leaves and coarsely ground fennel and coriander powder. Gently mix! And cover with lid.
- Cook for about 20 minutes. Initially cook rice on high heat for 5 minutes then turn the heat to low to steam the rice.
- After 20 minutes, pulao will be ready. Give 5 to 10 minutes to settle the rice then serve. Sprinkle brown onion at the top as it will complimentary enhance the taste.
- Soak the rice before 30 minutes of cooking. Avoid soaking for long time otherwise the rice will get mushy in texture.
- Wash the rice to 2 to 3 times until it show clean water.
- Always take chicken with bones as it will make thick stock to cook pulao rice.
- The addition of brown onion will add a magical taste in pulao. It will taste like daigi pulao.
- Avoid turmeric in pulao, it will make it yellow. Signature pulao color is nutty white or creamy.
- Don't steam the rice for long time otherwise the rice will be sticky and get mushy.
- Use basmati rice to cook pulao.
Recipe updated on 27 March 2022 with in length information, photos and video.
Chicken Pulao - Best rice recipe to serve at lunch or dinner. Here is one pot recipe idea to make quick and easy pulao.