White chicken biryani famous as Sofiyani biryani is the newly emerging biryani recipe that people love to eat all across South Asia, especially in India and Pakistan. Tender and juicy chicken white sauce masala cooked with Indian spices and steamed with basmati rice make a perfect flavor for biryani foodies. Best to serve as the main course in dinner!
Today sharing the best chicken "white biryani" video recipe step by step to follow quick directions. If you looking at how to make chicken white biryani at home then watch the recipe tutorial.
At hinzcooking, I have already shared different flavors of biryani but here you will find the unique taste that will compel you to make and eat again and again. It's a sofiyani style biryani, white in color and texture but full of masala and flavor. Once you make it, believe me, you will make it again and again.
If you are true fan of biryani and pulao then this is the perfect flavor for you to taste.
About White Chicken Biryani
White biryani is white in color and full of masala but the look is white. It is also called sofiyani biryani due to its color and texture. Special white sauce/masala is prepared by using Indian spices to make this unique biryani.
Although the recipe of white biryani is simple and easy and made in a similar way to making chicken white curry and then the process of layering with boiled rice and steaming comes up.
Here, I'd like to address young people's myth that white biryani has no masala and looks pale. No, it's not! it's full of masala like any other biryani.
Once you watch the recipe tutorial then it would be easy for you to make this super delicious biryani at home that will eliminate the 'no masala' thoughts.
Here, I am making white biryani with chicken but you can use the same recipe to make it with mutton and lamb. Overall cooking procedure will remain the same but the time of tendering mutton will increase. As I have already tried with mutton so recommending to give a try.
Chicken - Skinless and with bones chicken pieces 600g
Oil - 1.5 Tbsp
Whole Garam Masala: Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon | Cloves - 9 | Black Pepper - 15 | Star aniseeds - 1 | Cinnamon - 2 sticks (3") | Bay leaves - 3
Onion: Used fine sliced red onions - 1 Cup
Ginger Garlic Paste - Freshly made - 2 Tsp
Seasoning: Salt (1 tsp) and Black Pepper Powder (½ Tsp)
Yogurt - 1 Cup
Green Chilies - 5 to 6
Milk (Doodh) - 1 Cup
Basmati Rice - 3 Cups
Water - 1.5 Liter (to boil rice)
Salt - 1 tablespoon
Mint Leaves - 10 to 15
Biryani Essence - 5 to 6 Drops
Birista (Crispy fried onions) - optional
How To Make White Chicken Biryani
1) Chicken White Sauce Curry
In a pan, add oil and heat it up. Add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp, Cloves - 9, Black Pepper - 15, Star aniseeds - 1, Cinnamon - 2 sticks (3") and Bay leaves - 3) and let it pop for few seconds.
Then add onion slices and cook it on medium heat until the onion starts to change its color to pink. Saute ginger and garlic paste for few minutes.
Add chicken and cook on high heat so the chicken changes its color. Continuously stir the chicken the until it changes color. Now add salt, yogurt, and green chilies and mix well until the yogurt mix with curry to form a gravy. Add black pepper and mix well so the oil is visible on the surface of the pan.
At this stage, add milk and mix well.
Cover the pan for 35 minutes to tender the chicken.
After 35 minutes, check the chicken and cook on high heat for a few minutes.
Keep it on the side as its ready to make the biryani layer.
2) Boiled Rice Preparation
Soak 3 cups of basmati rice for 15 to 20 minutes. Now in a big pan, fill with water and let it boil. Add mint leaves and salt in water. As the water started to boil then add soaked rice in it.
Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on high heat. 85% Rice needs to cook during boiling rest will be done on steaming.
Now carefully drain the water using a strainer.
In a pan, add little oil on pan surface. Now make the first layer of boiled rice.
Check the salt level at this stage. If you add salt then mix it well using a spoon.
Next, make a layer of chicken curry.
Then add the rice layer over it.
Add a few drops of biryani essence.
Cover the pan and keep it on the stove on high to medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
Then turn the heat to low and make it steamy for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, turn off the heat. Give it 5 to 10 minutes to rest the rice before serving.
Chicken White Biryani is now ready to serve!!
White Chicken Biryani Video
So let's move to kitchen and start making this delicious and aromatic Sofiyani White Chicken Biryani step by step in an easy way. Watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
Other Types of Biryani
Pakistani Chicken Biryani | Chicken Pulao Biryani Recipe | Mutton Biryani Recipe | Chicken Pulao Recipe | Hyderabadi Biryani | Chana Biryani | Sindhi Biryani | Chicken Kabsa | Chicken Mandi | Karachi Biryani
- Use long grain Basmati rice.
- Always soak the rice 30 minutes before boiling.
- Never soak for a long time otherwise the biryani will deform and mushy while serving.
- Completely drain the water after boiling otherwise the biryani rice will clutter and break.
- Say No to red chili powder, turmeric to prepare white biryani otherwise the color will compromise.
- Make sure the curry is not watery at the time of layering.
- Use green chilies, and black pepper or white pepper (dakni mirch) to make it spicy.
- Never steam for a long time.
SEE ALSO: How to Make Raita For Biryani
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
You Might Like This
White Chicken Biryani (Sofiyani Biryani)
- Making of Chicken Curry:
- Oil – 1.5 Tbsp
- Whole Garam Masala:
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Cloves – 9
- Black Pepper – 15
- Star aniseeds – 1
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks 3″
- Bay leaves – 3
- Onion slices – 1 Cup
- Ginger Paste – 1 Tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 Tsp
- Chicken – 600 Gms
- Salt – 1 Tsp
- Yogurt – 1 Cup
- Green Chilies – 5 to 6
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ Tsp
- Milk Doodh – 1 Cup
- Rice Preparation:
- Rice – 3 Cups
- Water – 1.5 Liter
- Salt – 1 Tbsp
- Mint Leaves – 10 to 15
- Biryani Essence – 5 to 6 Drops
- Brown onion optional
- STEP: 1 Making of Chicken Curry
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Now add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp, Cloves – 9, Black Pepper – 15, Star aniseeds – 1, Cinnamon – 2 sticks (3″) and Bay leaves – 3) and let it pop for few seconds.
- Then add onion slices and cook it on medium heat until the onion starts to change its color to pink.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and saute for a few minutes.
- Add chicken and cook on high heat so the chicken changes its color.
- Continuously stir the chicken the until it changes the color.
- Now add salt, yogurt, and green chilies and mix well until the yogurt mix with curry to form a gravy.
- Add black pepper and mix well so the oil visible on the surface of the pan.
- At this stage, add milk and mix well.
- Cover the pan for 35 minutes to tender the chicken.
- After 35 minutes, check the chicken and cook on high heat for a few minutes.
- Keep it on the side as its ready to make the biryani layer.
- STEP 2: Boiled Rice Preparation
- Soak 3 cups of basmati rice for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now in a big pan, fill with water and let it boil.
- Add mint leaves and salt in water.
- As the water started to boil then add soaked rice in it.
- Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on high heat. 85% Rice needs to cook during boiling rest will be done on steaming.
- Now carefully drain the water using a strainer.
- STEP 3: Layering
- In a pan, add little oil on pan surface. Now make the first layer of boiled rice.
- Check the salt level at this stage. If you add salt then mix it well using a spoon.
- Next, make a layer of chicken curry.
- Then add the rice layer over it.
- Add a few drops of biryani essence.
- STEP 4: Steaming
- Now cover the pan and keep it on the stove on high to medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then turn the heat to low and make it steamy for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat. Give it 5 to 10 minutes to rest the rice before serving.
- For the best biryani results make sure to use premium quality basmati rice.
- Soak rice for 30 minutes. Avoid soaking for a long time.
- Make sure to drain the water after boiling the biryani rice.
- Avoid using red peppers to create a white texture.
- Chicken curry should not be watery when adding in biryani rice otherwise it will be mushy in look.
- Avoid steaming for a long time.