Chana biryani recipe prepared with chana masala and basmati rice. Famous as chickpea biryani in India and Pakistan. Vegan and gluten free!
If you are looking nonveg biryani option then this chana biryani recipe is perfect for you. Famous as Chole dum biryani or chickpea biryani. Family favorite recipe idea!
Chana Biryani Recipe
Chana biryani is one the most popular and mouthwatering recipe for foodies. Full of aroma and taste!! In the subcontinent, people love biryani and make it in different ways. Traditionally biryani cook with meat but the variation in veg with chickpea is the most demanding. Locally famous as chole biryani and chickpea biryani!
Here I am sharing quick and easy recipe of this tasty chana biryani that you can easily prepare at your home kitchen just by following the few steps. Degi chana biryani has special taste and aroma. I tried to follow the recipe to bring taste on your table.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chickpeas (Chana / Chole): Used boiled chickpeas to prepare chana masala for biryani.
Basmati Rice: Use long grain basmati rice. Alternative, jasmine or Egyptian rice.
Cooking Oil - Use any vegetable or canola oil.
Red Onions: medium size sliced onion used.
Ginger Garlic Paste: freshly made ginger and garlic paste used to prepare chana masala curry.
Whole Garam Masala: Bay leaves - 5, Cloves - 7, Black Peppers - 20, Cinnamon - 3x3", Cumin Seed - 1 Tsp, Green Cardamom - 5, Salt - To Taste
Spices: Season the chana masala with Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, and homemade Garam Masala Powder.
Tomato Cubes: Peel the skin of fresh tomatoes and cut it into cubes to add in chana curry.
Chicken Stock: Used chicken broth/stock to thicken the curry of chana masala. Water can be used.
Yogurt - Use fresh yogurt to make the chana masala. Vegan yogurt can be used.
Herbs & Shrub: Green Chilies, fresh coriander and lemon sliced used.
Food Color - Edible food color used to add color in biryani.
Milk: Used to dilute food color. Water or vegan milk is the alternative option.
How to Make Chana Biryani
Preparation of Chana Masala Curry: In a pan, add oil and heat it up. Add whole garam masala and let it pop for few seconds then add sliced onion and give it a golden brown color. After getting the brown onion, add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes.
Season with, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute again to get rid the spice rawness. Add yogurt and give it a good mix to blend all spices.
Add tomato cubes and mix it up until the yoghurt and tomatoes blend in curry. Now add boiled chickpeas (chana/chole) in curry. Sprinkle garam masala powder.
Next, add little water and cover for 15 minutes.
Preparation of Basmati Biryani Rice: Take 1-litre water in the pan and boiled it up. As the water starts boiling add rice and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. When the rice 80% done then drain the water to separate rice.
Biryani Layering: In a chana curry pan, add steamed rice. Sprinkle required salt and adjust by mixing through spoon. To make the biryani more aromatic, add freshly chopped coriander and lemon slices. Dissolve food colour in milk and pour over the rice.
Steaming (Dum): Securely cover the pan with lid to accumulate the steam inside pan. This the process to cook rice on steam called 'dum'. Keep it on 'dum' for 20 minutes on low heat.
After 20 minutes, Chana biryani is ready to serve. Right after steaming give it 5 to 10 minutes to settle the rice.
Tip: To make it more tempting and aromatic give it a topping of brown onion.
It's easy to make chana biryani in home kitchen. Here is step by step process that can help beginners to prepare masalawali chana biryani for your family and friends.
Tips to Make Best Chana Biryani
- Avoid using canned or frozen chana/chickpeas. Here is a step-by-step method to cook dried chickpeas at home.
- Don't over boil the chana as it will deform in curry and on steam in rice.
- When adding chana curry in rice for steam, make sure to use thick curry. It should be nonwatery.
- For best results, use premium quality basmati rice.
- Never soak rice for too long.
- When adding rice for steaming, make sure to fully drain water after boiling otherwise the biryani will be mushy in look.
- When the rice is 80% boiled then drain the water. The rest of the 20% will be done on steam.
- Use vegan yogurt and milk to make this vegan chana biryani.
- To make the quick version use instant pot or pressure cooker to make this biryani.
How to Serve Chana Biryani
I love to top biryani with homemade crispy fried birista onions.
Q & A
Yes, it's vegan and gluten free! Make sure to use vegan yogurt and milk to add in this recipe. All the other biryani ingredients are 100% vegan.
Yes, use the same recipe to prepare the kala chana biryani. Make sure to boil the kala chana before making chana masala.
Yes, it's a 'dum biryani' prepared with chole/chana/chickpeas.
Yes, you can use the canned chickpeas to make biryani. Wash it properly before making chana masala.
More Biryani Recipes
Chana Biryani Recipe (Chickpea Biryani)
- 1 tablespoon Oil – 1 Tbsp
- 1 Onion – Big size Sliced
- Whole garam masala
- 5 Bay leaves
- 7 Cloves
- 20 Black Peppers
- 1 Cinnamon 3×3″
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seed
- 5 Green Cardamom
- Salt – To Taste
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ cup Tomato Cubes
- 1 cup Yogurt For vegans, use any vegan yogurt.
- 1 cup Chickpeas Chana / Chole Boiled
- 3 Green Chillies
- 300 ml Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2.5 cups Basmati Rice dry
- 2 teaspoon Green Coriander chopped
- 1 Lemon Slices
- 1 pinch Food Color
- 25 ml Milk For vegans, use almond milk
Prepare Chana Masala Curry
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Add whole garam masala and let it pop for few seconds on medium heat.
- At the same time, add sliced onions and fry it to turn golden brown color.
- As the onions start to turn golden, add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add spices, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute again to get rid the spice rawness.
- Next, add beaten yogurt and mix with the curry.
- Add tomato cubes and mix it up until the yoghurt and tomatoes blend in curry.
- Now add boiled chickpeas (chana/chole) in curry.
- Give it a good mix with a gentle hand.
- Add garam masala powder in curry.
- Next, add little water and cover for 15 minutes.
Preparation of Rice
- Add 1 liter water to the deep pan and boiled it up.
- As the water starts boiling add basmati rice and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- When the rice 80% done then drain the water to separate rice.
- In a cooked chana curry pan, add a layer of boiled rice. (Don't mix it!).
- Sprinkle the required salt and adjust by mixing through a spoon.
- To add a delectable aroma in biryani, add freshly chopped coriander and lemon slices.
- Dissolve food colour in milk and pour over the rice.
- Securely cover the biryani lid and keep it on steam (‘dum’) for 20 minutes on low heat.
- After 20 minutes, Chana biryani is ready to serve.
- To make it more tempting and aromatic topped with biryani onion (Birista).
- Don't overcook the chickpea (Chana).
- Make non-watery chana gravy. If there is some water then cook on high heat.
- Use basmati rice.
- Fully drained rice before making layers.
- Don't overcook the rice during the boil. Make sure to cook 80%
- Gently run the spoon to take out biryani otherwise the rice will break.
- Don't insert a spoon from the middle of the pan. Always take out biryani by putting a spoon from the sides of the pan.