Tahri recipe is the most famous Indian rice dish with fluffy yellow rice. Here I am making family favorite chicken tahari recipe Pakistani style which will give you the best chicken and rice combination in one place. Best to serve at dinner or lunch! My friends call it recipe of tahri pulao.
If you are craving biryani or pulao then this rice recipe will give a unique taste of chicken and rice much similar to pulao but with different ingredients and making techniques. Traditionally it's a Pakistani and Indian yellow rice recipe cooked with desi spices. Normally people make it with aloo (potatoes). If you are nonveg and love to try with meat then the chicken is the best combination to try in a tahri form. One of the most popular recipe for lunch in Pakistani cuisine.
Looking for tasty rice recipes? Check out, Aloo ki Tahari, White biryani, Chicken Kabsa, Pulao Biryani, and Pakistan's Special Chicken Biryani. All recipes are quick and easy to prepare at home and I believe they surely add value to your dinner table.
About Tahri Recipe
Tahri, Tahari, Tehri or Tahiri - Yes, this recipe is famous with so many names. Basically it's a traditional South Asian tahari rice dish with yellow rice. People from India (Hyderabad), Pakistan, and Bangladesh make it with different variations. Some region prepares it with potatoes (aloo) while others make it with meat. So veg tahri or non tahri both are equally popular and people love to eat it. The trademark of tahari/tahri is the compelling yellow color and mixing of spices during cooking.
Here you can find both recipes (veg and nonveg)
- Aloo Ki Tahari (veg tehri)
- Chicken Tahari / Tahri recipe (non veg tahri)
Some people relate tahari with biryani and pulao but it's totally different in flavor, aroma, and taste. The addition and mixing of desi spices make it different from other rice recipes.
I personally love this recipe and mostly make it in summer's lunch and serve it with biryani raita and green salad.
People from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh love to have tahari. Here I am sharing Pakistani style tahari with chicken which is most famous around the world. Spicy, moist, and full of aroma that compels people to eat. Once you make it, I believe you will make it again and again.
My inspiration is to prepare this recipe restaurant-style that you can also serve to your guest and make it a menu option for family get-togethers. If you are a beginner or bachelor then you can also try this recipe as it's super easy and makes using minimal spices. If you didn't try chicken tahari recipe so far then I recommend you to please make it for your family and they all will love the taste.
Chicken - 600 Gms | Yogurt - 1 tablespoon | Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 teaspoon | Salt - ½ teaspoon | Red Chili Powder - ½ teaspoon | Coriander Powder - ½ teaspoon | Turmeric Powder - ½ teaspoon | Fresh Lemon Juice - 2 teaspoon | Oil - 1 tablespoon | Cumin Seeds - ½ teaspoon | Whole Garam Masala: Cinnamon (3"), cloves (5) Anise (1) Bay Leaves (2), Black Pepper (15) | Onion Slices - 1 Cup | Tomatoes - ½ Cup (Cubes) | Green Chilies - 4 to 5 | Water - ½ Liter | Rice - 2 Cups (Soaked)
How to Make Tahri
Marination: In a bowl, add yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix well to make a smooth paste. Now add chicken and drizzle lemon juice over the chicken. Properly mix the chicken with yogurt spices. Marinate chicken for 30 minutes.
Cooking: In a pan, add oil and heat it up. Add cumin seeds and let it pop for a few seconds. Add whole garam masala and pop it for 3 to 4 seconds. Immediately add thinly sliced onion and fry until the onion evenly gets pink color. As the onion changes the color, add the marinated chicken. Stir and cook on high heat until the chicken changes the color. Now add green chilies and diced tomatoes. Cook well until the tomatoes mix with gravy and oil comes over the surface. Add ½ liter water and mix well. Cover and cook chicken for 30 minutes on medium/low heat to make it tender.
Rice Prepararion: In the meanwhile, take 2 cups of rice. Wash and soak for 15 minutes.
Cook Chicken With Rice: After 30 minutes, add soaked rice in chicken. Also add salt. Gently mix the rice with a spoon. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
Initially keep the temperature on high heat for 7 to 8 minutes then turn the heat to medium/low to properly cook the rice on steam.
So let's move to the kitchen and start making this quick, easy, and delicious tahri recipe with chicken (tahari) step by step in an easy way. Watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
- Only use whole garam masala (khara garam masala). Avoid using ground garam masala to make a perfect tahari taste.
- Turmeric is the major ingredient in masala to make perfect color tahari.
- Use Basmati rice to make tahari. It will give you the perfect taste.
- If you are using 2 cups of soaked rice then use 2.5 cups of water to cook rice in a regular pan on the stovetop.
- Appropriately steam the rice to make it soft and moist.
Here are few ideas to make best serving of chicken Tahari. It's compulsory to add Raita and salad. Then make a combo with Shami kabab or any other keema kabab. Whenever I am Chicken Tahari then curry is must especially for lunch serving.
Many people like with mango pickle so if you have the taste then try with it. For me, Tahri rice and raita is enough. Let me know in comment section, what do you like to have with it.
It's a quick and easy recipe of 'Tahari' with chicken that you can easily make at home and serve your family and friends. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
You Might Like This
Chicken Tahari Recipe Pakistani (Tahri Recipe)
- 600 g Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Whole Garam Masala: Cinnamon (3″), cloves (5) Anise (1) Bay Leaves (2), Black Pepper (15)
- 1 cup Onion Slices
- ½ cup Tomatoes Cubes
- 5 pieces Green Chilies
- ½ liter Water
- 2 cups Rice Soaked
- In a bowl, add yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix well to make a smooth paste.
- Now add chicken and sprinkle lemon juice over the chicken.
- Properly mix the chicken with yogurt spices.
- Marinate chicken for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Add cumin seeds and let it pop for a few seconds.
- Add whole garam masala and pop it for 3 to 4 seconds.
- Immediately add thinly sliced onion and fry until the onion evenly gets pink color.
- As the onion changes the color, add the marinated chicken.
- Stir and cook on high heat until the chicken changes the color.
- Now add green chilies and diced tomatoes.
- Cook well until the tomatoes mix with gravy and oil comes over the surface.
- Now add ½ liter water and mix well.
- Cook chicken for 30 minutes on medium/low heat to tender chicken.
- In the meanwhile, take 2 cups of rice.
- Wash rice with tap water.
- Soak rice for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add soaked rice.
- Add salt.
- Gently mix the rice with a spoon.
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Initially keep the temperature high for 7 to 8 minutes then turn the heat to medium/low to properly cook the rice.
- Preferred to use chicken with bones as it makes tasty stock to cook rice.
- Marinate chicken for a longer time will make the chicken tastier.
- Always use tomatoes without skin.
- Use Pakistani basmati rice to get the best result.
- Soak the rice before 10 minutes of cooking.
- Never soak the rice for too long (If you are using premium quality basmati).
- Avoid steaming tahari for a long time as it makes the rice mushy.
- Don't take out rice right after steaming. Give it 10 to 15 minutes to settle down.
- After 15 minutes of steaming, gently and carefully run the spoon in rice to separate rice otherwise the rice will clutter.