Gola Kabab is the famous Pakistani kebab that you can easily make at home. Quick and easy restaurant style gola kabab recipe with homemade kabab powder. Store and freeze in bulk and fry when you need.
Simple and easy recipe for beginners to try at home. To prepare these kebabs, first I prepared kabab powder that you can store for the long run, and whenever to prepare Gola kabab you can simply use this masala powder. This step is time-saving and makes it easy for you to prepare kabab whenever you want.
What is Gola Kabab?
Gola kabab is a traditional Pakistani kabab recipe famous all around the subcontinent. People from Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh love to have it and make it in a different style with mutton and chicken.
Here in this recipe, I am using ground mutton as it yields special flavor and texture to prepare soft, juicy, and chewy kabab.
Do you know, what's the reason of soft and juicy kabab?
I used natural meat tenderizer (raw papaya) to make soft kababs. If you are at a place and don't have access to raw papaya then simply use any other meat tenderizer. Along with this, you can use the same recipe to grill, bake, and Air fryer the gola kabab.
Gola kabab is the popular bbq dish on the wedding menu in Pakistan special in Karachi. The wedding food menu seems incomplete without gola kabab.
So if you are a true lover of this kabab platter then surely try this recipe with confidence to make tasty Gola kabab in your home kitchen. To make it easy, I prepared these kababs on a pan/skillet which will hardly take 20 to 30 minutes to cook.
These handhelds or bite-size Gola Kababs will bind you to eat as it's so juicy and lustrous. Spread a delectable aroma that you can't ignore.
- Mutton Mince (Keema) - 500 gms
- Oil - To shallow fry
- Cumin Seeds (Zeera )- 1 Tsp
- Whole Red Pepper (Sabut Laal Mirch) - 8
- Coriander Seed (Sabut dhania) - 1 Tsp
- Gram Flour (Besan) - 1.5 Tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 2 Tsp
- Red Chili Powder (Pisi laal mirch) - 1 Tsp
- Coriander Powder (Pisa dhani) - 1 Tsp
- Black Pepper Powder (Pisi kali mirch)- ½ Tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste (Pisa adrak lehsun) - 2 Tsp
- Brown Onion (Tali pyaz) - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 Tsp
- Raw Papaya (Kacha pappita) - 2 Tsp
- Fresh Coriander (Hara dhania) - Few leaves
- Oil - 1 Tsp
How to Make Gola Kabab
Preparation of Gola Kabab Masala Powder
In a skillet, add Cumin seeds (zeera), whole red pepper (sabut laal mirch), and coriander seeds (sabut dhani). Roast for 2 minutes on extremely low heat. Keep stirring and turn off heat as it become aromatic. Take it out from pan and keep aside.
In the same pan, add gram flour (besan) and toast on low heat. Make sure the heat is extremely low and keep stirring. As it turn to light brown color take it out.
Now add roasted spices and gram flour in the grinder. Also add garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and black pepper powder. Grind all the ingredients to make a find powder.
Kabab powder is ready!
Preparation of Ground Meat (Mutton/beef)
Now in the grinder, add mutton mince (keema). Also add ginger garlic paste, brown onion, salt, raw papaya (kaccha pappita paste) as a meat tenderizer, kabab masala that we prepared, and freshly chopped coriander.
Grind the meat with all ingredients to get a smooth paste. Now take the meat out from the grinder and place it in a bowl.
Add cooking oil and give it a good mix. Cooking oil will add lubrication and help to make a smooth kabab and juicy after frying. Marinate the meat for 2 hours to penetrate the flavor of all the kabab ingredients in ground meat. Reduce the amount of kaccha pappita if marinating overnight.
Now take a small portion of meat in hand and make a small ball. Thread the kabab in a skewer in oval form and take out from skewer. It will form the shape of Gola kabab. For better understanding, watch the step in video.
How to Cook
- Shallow Frying: In a pan, add oil and heat it up on medium temperature. Add gola kabab and initially cook on high temperature. As it get the first roasted layer then cook on medium to low temperature to cook from inside. It will take around 20 to 25 minutes to cook all the kababs.
- Baking: This one is my favorite as it's quick, easy and hazzle free doesn't create any mess in kitchen. Preheat the oven at 220C and place the aluminum foil on baking tray. Brush the oil on foil and place the kabab over it and roll it to coat with oil from all sides. Now place the kabab in oven for 30 minutes. Give a 5 minutes broil and kabab will be ready.
- Gola Kabab in Air Fryer: Preheat the Air fryer at 200°C or 392°F. Brush oil on air fryer tray and place kabab with some distance. Place the tray in air fryer and cook for 15 minues. Change the sides of kabab after 7 to 8 minutes to get ever color from all sides.
- BBQ Gola Kabab: Thread the kabab in skewers with some distance or keep it bbq grill or wire. Apply oil and cook on charcoal for 20 minutes. Keep flipping the sides during this process. BBQ gola kabab are always the best in taste and aroma.
- Steamed Gola Kabab: In a hot boiling steamer, place the kabab for 20 minutes and cover. It will cook from inside. Steamed Gola kabab has it's own flavor.
Gola Kabab Video
In this video, I am making kabab with mutton but you can use the same recipe to make it with beef and chicken. Let's make it...
In Pakistani mutton kabab recipes, gola kabab has a special placement due to unique texture and tasty flavor. If you are planning to make kabab this weekend then surely try this recipe and I hope you will love the end result.
- Use thinly ground meat (lamb, mutton, or beef) to make gola kabab. Kabab may break or will not stick together if it's thickly ground.
- I prefer to use a chopper to mix all the ingredients as it provides perfect binding.
- To make the kabab use a thick skewer to make the perfect formation of gola kabab.
- Carefully monitor the quantity of meat tenderizer. If it's more then kabab may break or if it's less then it may hard in texture.
- Use a balanced quantity of kabab powder to make the perfect taste.
- Store-bought kabab powder and spices may change the flavor of kabab. I prefer to use homemade.
Gola kabab is multi purpose as you can make so many other dishes with gola kabab. Here are few ideas:
- Gola kabab karahi
- Kabab Biryani or Pulao
- Bun Kabab
- Kabab Pasta with cheese
- Fry kabab using gola kabab meat. (if you are having hard time to make gola kabab or if breaks then this recipe is really helpful).
Best idea to serve with roasted veggies. I personally like roasted carrots. If you like mushrooms then sauteed mushrooms with garlic are best to serve with gola kabab. Some oven fries as a side will enhance the flavor on every bite. If you like creamy sauce then peppercorn sauce is the best.
Roti or Naan can't be skipped with this kabab. I like homemade garlic naan as it taste so good with gola kabab.
Store and Freeze
Yes, you can store gola kabab in freezer for 01 month without food preservative. Isn't it amazing? So what you have to do. Place the wax paper on a tray and place all the kabab (uncooked) with some distance and keep the tray in freezer for 01 hour.
After 01 hour the kabab will be 70% frozen. Now take out all kabab from tray and quickly shift in a plastic bag to save the space in freezer. Make sure the kabab should be hard when shifting to bag otherwise it will stick together and it will be hard to detach.
Place the kabab bag in freezer and when you need it take out microwave for 4 minutes and cook using your desire method of cooking.
More Kabab Ideas:
- Naan Recipe
- Aloo Kabab Recipe
- Bun Kabab Recipe
- Peshawari Chapli Kabab Recipe
- Kacha Keema Kabab Recipe
- Afghani Chicken Recipe (dry)
- Mutton Shami Kabab Recipe
Gola Kabab Recipe (Pakistani Kebab)
- 500 g Mutton Mince (keema)
- Oil To shallow fry
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (zeera)
- 8 Whole Red Pepper (Sabut Laal Mirch
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seed (Sabut dhania)
- 1.5 tablespoon Gram Flour (Besan)
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder (Pisi laal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Pisa dhania)
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Pisi kali mirch)
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste (Pisa adrak lehsun)
- 1 tablespoon Brown Onion Birista (tali pyaz)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Green Papaya (meat tenderizer) (Kacha pappita)
- Fresh Coriander (Hara dhania) - chopped
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- Preparation of Gola Kabab Masala Powder: In a pan, add Cumin seeds (zeera), whole red pepper (sabut laal mirch), coriander seeds (sabut dhani).
- Toast it until it gets aromatic. Take it out!
- In the same pan, add gram flour (besaand toast on low heat. As it showing light brown color than take it out. Keep stirring the gram flour otherwise, it will be burn.
- Now add toasted spices and gram flour in the grinder.
- Also add garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder.
- Grind all the ingredients to get a smooth powder.
- Now in the grinder, add mutton mince (keema).
- Also add ginger garlic paste, brown onion, salt, raw papaya (as meat tenderizer), Gola kabab masala and fresh coriander.
- Grind the meat with all ingredients to get a smooth paste.
- Now take the meat out from grinder and place in a bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoon oil and mix well. It will help you to make smooth kabab and will remain juicy after frying.
- Now take a small portion of meat in hand and make a small ball.
- Prick the skewer in a bowl to make whole in kabab. (Watch in the video to get easy direction).
- Now shallow fry all kabab. You can also grill and prepare a barbeque.
- Gola kabab is ready!
- Make sure to squeeze meat before grinding. It will be difficult to make kabab if there is some water.
- Always use meat tenderizer to make kabab soft, juicy and chewy.
- Use match quanity of meat tenderizer otherwise kabab will break.
- Store gola kabab masala for future use. (3 to 4 months)
- Kabab can be grilled or make it as barbeque.