Soft, tender and juicy Mutton Seekh Kabab recipe will give you the best flavor of kebabs to serve on special weeknight dinner. Traditionally it's a charcoal grilled bbq skewers kabab but here preparing pan-fried and electric grilled version to save time.
Indian, Pakistani Seekh Kabab recipe prepared with ground mutton/lamb could be a great treat for families. Tender, juicy, and soft seekh kebab on skewers spreads a delectable aroma that itself a crowd-puller invitation.
What is Seekh Kebab?
Seekh means skewer and kebab/kabab is ground meat mixed with spices and herbs. Meat is securely threaded over iron skewers to cook on charcoal. You can easily find seekh kabab in any Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurant. In fact, you will find a good seekh kabab nearby with the kabab aroma that spreads so fast.
Now the debate is, which meat is good for Seekh Kabab?
Well, Pakistani seekh kabab are famous all around the world and are mostly prepared with beef and mutton/lamb. Now, most of restaurants are making chicken seekh kabab which is also good in taste. To get the authentic seekh kabab flavor, you have to choose between beef or mutton. I personally go with mutton seekh kabab as it's wrapped with the perfect flavor of natural tallow (mutton fat) spiced with special seekh kabab masala and cooked over charcoal. OMG, I am starving as it makes a perfect lip-smacking flavor.
What is the secret ingredient of soft, juicy and tender seekh kebabs?
Nothing is better than using natural meat tenderizer (Kaccha Pappita). I personally store kaccha pappita paste in my freezer to make quick kabab recipes. Here you can watch how I store kaccha pappita in my freezer.
By using meat tenderizer, your seekh kabab will always be juicy and soft that will melt in your mouth.
How Does This Recipe Works?
On a personal note, My family and I are personally in love with this mutton seekh kabab recipe as it's super simple and easy to make at home using pan fried and grilled method. I make it in bulk and freeze it for later use and it always helps me to make quick dinner serving that everyone loves. To be very honest, it's not easy to make bbq kabab every time so I make it on a grill and pan and sometimes bake them with veggies. Steam frying and air frying is also good option to make these delicious kababs with less oil.
In southeast Asia, mainly in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh kabab is so famous, especially the lamb seekh kebab that people make it on special occasions, family get-togethers, home warming parties, and an exclusive dish on the wedding menu.
Normally people make it on bbq skewers and griller under coal smoke but here I am making it using a frying pan and electric grill so it would be easy for you to make this recipe in an easy way.
Here is a pan fried, grilled, baked, and Air fryer seekh kabab instructions will make your job easy to make at home. Perfect idea to serve on weekend dinners.
Do you have a family event at your house? Try this Pakistani seekh kabab recipe with mutton/lamb or with beef and share it with your family or friends. Pan fried, grilled, bbq or air fryer, all have great taste.
Mince: Used finely ground meat of mutton/lamb. Beef can also be used.
(used ground mutton in this recipe)
Spices: Salt, Red Chili powder, Cumin Powder, Mango Powder, Black Pepper Powder, My grand ma style Garam Masala Powder, Kebab Chini, Coriander Powder, and Roasted Gram Flour (besan).
Ginger Garlic Paste: will add a garlicky taste to the kabab but don't make it strong.
Brown Onion: a secret ingredient to add aroma and taste in kabab.
Meat Tenderizer: Use kaccha pappita paste to make soft and juicy kabab. If you don't have kaccha pappita then increase the marination time. (ovenight marination is good)
Cooking Oil: will add lubrication in kebabs also used for shallow frying.
Herbs: Fresh coriander and green chilies are used.
How to Make Mutton Seekh Kabab
1) Pan Fried Seekh Kabab on Stovetop
In a bowl, add well-ground mince (Pisa Keema) of lamb/mutton/beef or chicken. Season with salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, mango powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, kebab chini, and coriander powder. Also add roasted gram flour (Besan), ginger garlic paste, crushed brown onion, and oil. In herbs, add freshly chopped coriander (Hara Dhani) and chopped green chilies (Hari Mirch).
Mix all the ingredients. Cover and leave for marination for 1 hour (min), maximum time (overnight).
Thread the kebab on wooden skewers. Shallow fry in a pan on stovetop, and serve!.
2) Grilled Seekh Kabab
Another method to prepare seekh kabab is on the grill. Turn on the grill, and brush the grill with oil. Place kabab over grilled and cook until you get golden brown color.
3) Baked Seekh Kabab
Preheat oven at 220°C or 428°F for 10 minutes. In a baking tray, place the foil and generously brush with oil. Line up the kabab skewers in a tray with some distance. Now place the kabab tray in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Broil for 10 minutes to get the nice roasted color.
4) Air Fryer Seekh Kabab
Preheat air fryer at 400°F before 10 minutes of air frying. In the meanwhile, place the seekh kabab in air fryer tray with some distance. Brush the oil at the bottom and over the top of kabab. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip the sides after 15 minutes. Take out and enjoy with chutney and naan.
5) Steamed Seekh Kabab
I personally love this method and usually make it in same way. Believe me, it always turns out so well. My method is little different and make in 2 ways:
- Steamed kabab in skillet: In a frying pan, add ½ cup of water and let it boil. Place the seekh kabab in pan and drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil. Cover the pan on high heat for 2 minutes then turn the heat to low side for 5 minutes. Cook the kabab until the water dries up and oil become visible on kabab. Tasty and juicy steamed kabab will be ready in few minutes. (This is my personal method and I used to fry kabab using this method and my family love it. Let me know you views if you apply this method on your side).
- With steamer: In a pan of hot boiling water, add steamer or simple strainer. Wrap the kabab in Aluminum foil and place the foil over the steamer. Cover the pan and steam for 30 minutes on medium heat. I made this steam chicken using the same method.
6) BBQ Seekh Kabab
One of the most renowned and tempting method to make seekh kabab. Ignite the charcoal and place the seekh kabab skewers over it for 10 to 20 minutes. Keep revolving during the process to get nice roasted color.
Mutton Seekh Kabab Recipe [Video]
If you are looking at how to make lamb/mutton seekh kabab then watch the recipe and you will surely love to make it at home kitchen just by watching the quick steps.
Indian and Pakistani "seekh kabab" recipe video that you can easily prepare at home kitchen without bbq. I will use a frying pan and griller to make this kabab so you have two options to prepare this easy kabab recipe.
Kebab Tips & Secrets
- When using ground meat, make sure to release water from the meat otherwise your kabab will release so much water and will break during frying.
- Always use the proper quantity of ingredients to maintain the best taste.
- If you are using meat tenderizer, (as I use kacha pappita) then monitor the quantity otherwise the kabab will break.
- When threading kabab on seekh or skewer then make your hand tight to tighten the meat together.
- If you are using bamboo skewers then make sure to soak in water to avoid burning.
- Use Seekh Kabab Masala, if you want to make quick seekh kabab.
What To Serve With Seekh Kabab
Here are simple ideas to make a serving of seekh kebab platter.
If you are making seekh kabab platter then don't forget to make potato wedges or oven fries, roasted veggies along with a sip of Karak Chai. This will surely make a memorable time for your family and loved ones.
Q & A
Yes, it is! but not much. You can easily manage the spices in kabab marination as per your taste. If you like to have spicy then increase the amount of red pepper powder otherwise you can skip it.
Yes, it's a famous Pakistani kebab recipe that people love to serve on special occasions especially a popular dish on the wedding menu.
Yes, it's a bbq recipe that people make on charcoal by placing the kebab skewers. As it shows roasting color from all sides then it's done! The aroma of bbq kebab is awesome! Here I prepared this kabab on the stovetop using a frying pan and an electric griller that make it easy to make at home.
Yes, you can defrost it but it's necessary to fully cook it on the pan as it's meat. If your microwave operates with oven function then you can make it otherwise you can just defrost or make it in a pan.
To make perfect and best seekh kabab always follow a few tips that will help you to avoid breaking and give you the best result with perfect taste.
1) Monitor the quantity of meat tenderizer. If it's more then it may break.
2) Meat should be nice ground.
3) Make sure the water is squeezed from meat when adding spices in kabab.
4) Use tight hands to thread the kabab on skewers.
5) Don't disturb kabab while cooking. When one side is done flip to other.
Use 2 teaspoon kaccha pappita paste in 1 Kg ground meat (beef, mutton/lamb).
For chicken, use 1 tsp.
If you are using extremely thin ground meat then add 1 teaspoon in 1 Kg.
More Kebab Recipes
Mutton Seekh Kabab Recipe
- Electric Grill
- Frying Pan
- 600 g Ground Mutton Substitute with beef and Lamb
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Mango Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ⅓ teaspoon Kebab Chini
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ cup Roasted Gram Flour
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Paste
- ½ teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Papaya meat tenderizer Kaccha Pappita
- 2 teaspoon Brown Onion
- 3 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- Fresh Coriander Chopped
- Green Chilies Chopped
Prepare Seekh Kabab Masala / Marinade
- In a bowl, add well ground mince (Pisa Keema) of mutton or beef.
- Now add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, mango powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, kebab chini, coriander powder.
- Also add roasted gram flour (Besan), ginger garlic paste, kacha pappita, crushed brown onion, and oil.
- Add fresh coriander (Hara Dhani) and chopped green chilies (Hari Mirch).
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Cover and leave for marination for 1 hour (min).
Kebab Threading on Skewers
- For wooden skewers, soaked in water for 10 minutes.
- Now thread the kabab on skewers with tight hand. (Watch video)
How To Make Mutton Seekh Kabab (5 Ways)
1) Pan Fried Seekh Kabab
- Shallow fry the seekh kabab in a frying pan on stove.
2) Grilled Seekh Kabab
- Another method to prepare seekh kabab is on the grill.
- Turn on the grill, and brush the grill.
- Place kabab over grilled and cook until you get golden brown color.
3) Air Fryer Seekh Kabab
- Preheat air fryer at 400°F before 10 minutes of air frying. In the meanwhile, place the seekh kabab in air fryer tray with some distance.
- Brush the oil at the bottom and over the top of kabab. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip the sides after 15 minutes. Take out and enjoy with chutney and naan.
4) Baked Seekh Kabab
- Preheat oven at 220°C or 428°F for 10 minutes. In a baking tray, place the foil and generously brush with oil. Line up the kabab skewers in a tray with some distance.
- Now place the kabab tray in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Broil for 10 minutes to get the nice roasted color.
5) BBQ Seekh Kabab (Charcoal Kebab)
- Ignite the charcoal and place the seekh kabab skewers over it for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Keep revolving during the process to get nice roasted color.
- Make sure the ground meat (mince) should be properly squeezed before adding masala as the water inside the meat can break the kabab on bbq skewer. Also, it will show water splashes while frying on the pan.
- Meat tenderizer is important to use for best result. It will make the kabab soft, juicy and tender.
- Monitor the right quantity of masala.
- Over exceeding the quantity of meat tenderizer might break the kabab or it will fall from the skewer.
- The best tip is to use your hand to tighten the kabab. This technique will clutter the meat and you will get the best result after pan-frying, grill or bbq.
- Don't forget to soak the bamboo skewer in water to avoid burning.
- Always use the proper quantity of ingredients to maintain the best taste.