Bihari Kabab is one of the most popular Pakistani kabab recipes that everyone loves to eat. Thin beef strips marinated with special kabab powder and cooked over charcoal make a perfect sizzling flavor. Here is a pan-fried quick and easy family favorite bbq recipe!
About Bihari Kabab
As the name specifies the Bihari kabab recipe is from Bihar Sharif, a state in eastern India. People from Patna make this recipe and now it's been famous all around Pakistan and one of the most demanding in BBq menu of restaurants especially in Karachi.
The recipe is different from other kabab recipes as it's been prepared with beef or chicken tenderloin (Thin strips) locally people call it Pasanday. Then marinated in a kabab powder by adding so many spices along with meat tenderizer. Papaya meat tenderizer is normally used in this recipe that makes the meat so tender and juicy in taste. Mustard oil (Sarson ka Tail) is used for lubrication during the marination process that creates a unique taste in meat.
Sizzling Bihari Kabab thread beautifully in skewer tempts to eat due to unique bbq aroma and taste. Pan-fried cooking method will give you a similar taste and it will be easy and quick to make for your next meal.
- Take the most tender cut of beef, I preferred to take tenderloin, as it's most tender and juicy in taste. You can find it beneth the ribs and next to the backbone.
- Prefere to take fresh meat. If it's showing dark color or purple shade then don't use it.
- Take the thin strips of meat. In this way, it will be more juicy and tender.
- You can make with both chicken and beef strips.
- Never skip meat tenderizer. I prefer to use natural papaya paste to tenderize the meat but in case if you don't have then use store bought meat tenderizer (kachri powder).
- Use premium quality mustard oil as it gives the best flavor in kabab.
- Poppy seeds (khashash) is prohibited in most countries so avoid it if you don't have. It's recommended in authentic bihari kabab recipe. Alternatively, use cashews powder.
- You can bake, grill or pan fry the bihari kabab skewers as per your choice.
- Always soaked the wooden skewer before use otherwise it may burn.
- Never use high quantity of meat tenderizer otherwise the kabab will break during cooking.
Here are the Bihari kabab ingredients to prepare at home with 500 gm of meat tenderloin. If you are making in bulk then multiply the quantity of the ingredients as per the use.
Beef Tenderloin - Locally called Pasanday (tender meat strips).
Yogurt - Use greek yogurt or thick yogurt. Avoid using watery yogurt.
Ginger Garlic + Hand Crushed Brown Onions + Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
Spices - Red Chili Powder - 1 Tsp | Coriander Powder - 1 Tsp | Garam Masala - 1 Tsp
Mace + Nutmeg Powder - ½ Tsp | Black Cumin Powder - ½ Tsp | Black Pepper Powder - ½ Tsp | Roasted Fennel Powder - ½ Tsp | Mango Powder - ⅓ Tsp (optional) | Paprika - ½ Tsp
Mustard Oil - Compulsory ingredients for this kabab recipe to get authentic Bihari kabab flavor.
Papaya Meat Tenderizer - Use natural meat tenderizer. Here is a step-by-step guide to make and store papaya as a meat tenderizer.
How to Make?
Assemble the Bihari Kabab Masala - In a bowl, add thick yogurt, ginger-garlic, red chili, coriander, garam masala, black pepper, roasted fennel powder, mango powder, paprika, hand crushed brown onion, and mustard oil. Give it a good mix with a spoon or whisk.
Marinate the Meat - Sprinkle salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice on meat strips and coat the Bihari kabab masala over the meat and let it marinate for 4 to 5 hours. Overnight is best!
Thread Kabab in Skewers - Use steel or wooden skewers to thread the marinated kabab strips.
Cook - Choose your preferred cooking method to cook the kabab. You can bake in over, grill on an electric griller, and simply bbq the kabab. Bbq is the most common method to cook Bihari kabab.
Charcoal Smoke: This step is recommended if you are making it in a pan or bake it in the oven. In this way, you will get the authentic taste of Bihari kabab without bbq. Ignite the coal piece on the stovetop and place it in the Bihari kabab pan over an aluminum foil and drizzle oil over it to spread the smoke. Quickly cover the pan so the smoke can penetrate in kabab meat. It's a quick method to prepare bbq flavored Bihari kabab at home without bbq.
How To Store & Reheat?
Yes, you can store the marinated Bihari kabab meat in an airtight container in the freezer for 01 month. Don't freeze it for longer as it's not containing any food preservatives.
You can also store the cooked Bihari kabab in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. If you want to store it in the freezer then keep it for 01 week.
To reheat the cooked Bihari kabab, take out and add little oil in a pan and heat it up. Fry the kabab in the pan and as it becomes soft then serve it accordingly.
In the same way, if you are taking out uncooked from the freezer then microwave it for 5 minutes or bring it to room temperature and then cook by following your preferred methods like bake, grill, bbq, or pan fry.
It's a Bakra Eid special quick and easy beef Bihari kabab recipe that you can easily make at home using the pan-fried method with bbq flavor. Let's watch the recipe video step by step.
Thanks for watching the video! If you enjoy it, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and hit the bell icon to get a video alert.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
You Might Like This
Bihari Kabab Recipe
- Coal Pieces
- 500 g Beef Tenderloin Pasanday (meat strips)
- 1 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tsp Grated Garlic
- ½ tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Mace + Nutmeg Powder
- ½ tsp Black Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp Roasted Fennel Powder
- ⅓ tsp Mango Powder optional
- ½ tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Crushed Brown Onion
- 1 tsp Papaya meat tenderizer
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice Freshly Squeezed
- 2 tbsp Oil for Shallow frying
- In a bowl, add thick yogurt, ginger garlic, red chili, coriander, garam masala, black pepper, roasted fennel powder, mango powder, paprika, hand crushed brown onion and mustard oil.
- Give it a good mix with spoon or whisk.
- Now add beef tenderloin (strips) in a bowl and sprinkle salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Mix the meat with marination mixture.
- Marinate for 4 to 5 hours. Overnight is good!
- After marination, thread the meat in skewers.
- Now select your preferred cooking method (bake, grill, or pan frying).
- For shallow frying, add oil in pan and cook the kabab for 15 from one side then flip it and cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- After 20 minutes, check the meat and give it a charcoal smoke.
- Ignite the coal on stovetop and place it on aluminium foil and drizzle oil over it to spread the smoke.
- Cover the pan for 15 to 20 minutes so the smoke can penetrate into meat.
- Now the Bihari Kabab is ready to serve.
- For pan frying, addand coat the masala over it.
- For the best result of Bihari kabab, use the beef tenderloin (best cut of beef under ribs). It will be soft, juicy, and tender after cooking.
- Fresh meat is always in pink or bright red in color. If it's getting dark or showing a purple texture then don't take it.
- Prefer to use homemade kabab powder and garam masala. Don't use store-bought. It will make a big difference in taste.
- You can apply the same recipe both on beef and chicken strips.
- Meat tenderizer is compulsory to make this recipe. Use papaya meat tenderizer or any other store-bought Kachri powder.
- Mustard oil brings the authentic taste of Beef Bihari Kabab. Don't skip it!
- Soak the wooden skewers for 30 minutes before use.