Family favorite creamy garlic mashed potatoes recipe is quick and simple that will add value to your dinner platter. The garlicky taste of creamy potatoes makes a perfect bite with dinner rolls. Let's make it step by step (Watch the video for quick direction!).
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Today, I am sharing traditional style creamy garlic mashed potatoes recipes which is super easy and just need handful ingredients from pantry to make it.
It's a recipe from my grandmother who serves these potatoes with rice, fried chicken and sometimes makes sandwiches. So it's a multi-purpose recipe. The creamy and garlicky flavor of potatoes simply gives a yum vibe. I personally in love with these potatoes and simply have it with a spoon or with any cracker. I am inspired by Gordon Ramsay's mashed potatoes and many times tried his recipe by adding different variations. As it's mostly American so people especially make it on special occasions like Thanksgiving to serve with the main course.
I prepare these potatoes in a frying pan on medium heat which makes it super delicious and gives a fully mashed and smooth texture. Mashed potatoes are also called mashed taters. It's an American and western way of making mashed potatoes. Normally it's been served as a side dish.
Mashed potatoes are smoothly mashed without any lump. If it's roughly mashed then it's called smashed potatoes and if it shows runny texture then it becomes mousseline potatoes.
8 Pro Tips to Make The Best
- To get the best flavor of mashed potatoes, It's been recommended to take floury or starchy potatoes like Russet (USA), King Edward (UK), Yukon Gold, and Red Rascal.
- Waxy potatoes will change the taste and texture of mashed potatoes.
- Avoid boiling potatoes for a long time. Otherwise, it will be mushy in texture.
- You can boil with potato skin and then peel the skin to mash the potato.
- Garlic powder can be used in the place of fresh garlic. I personally prefer fresh garlic.
- Milk is the most important ingredient of mashed potatoes so monitor the quantity of milk. If it's less then the potatoes will show dry texture and if it's more then it will runny in texture so monitoring the right quantity of milk is important.
- Mash potatoes right after boiling. Hot potatoes mashed with smooth texture.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold the potatoes.
- If you want to make Creamy double garlic mashed potatoes then add heavy cream along with garlic powder. Or simply double the quantity of garlic. It's more strong in garlic flavor and aroma.
Here are the ingredients to prepare mashed potatoes with 2 big potatoes. You can simply multiply the quantity if you are making in bulk.
Potatoes (Russet & Yukon Gold) - 2 Big
Water (To Boil) - 1 Cup
Salt - ½ Tsp (Adjust salt as per your taste or sodium level)
Butter - 2 Tsp (unsalted)
Garlic (Grated) - 1 Clove
Milk - ½ Cup
Mozzarella Cheese (Shredded) - ½ Cup [Optional]
Parsley, Butter & Olive oil for garnish
How to Make Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes?
Take starchy potatoes and peel the skin. Cut into cubes and wash with water. Now add in a pan with 1 cup water. Cover with lid and boil the potatoes for 20 minutes on low medium heat. After 20 minutes, mashed the potatoes. Heat up the frying pan with unsalted butter and freshly grated garlic. As the garlic starts to change color, add mashed potatoes. Sprinkle black pepper and give it a good mix. Now add milk and quickly run the spatula to fold the potatoes. Cheese is optional! if you add then it will be tastier. I used shredded mozzarella and give it a good mix. Now it's ready to garnish. I used parsley, butter slices, and olive oil to garnish the platter. Creamy garlic mashed potatoes are ready to serve.
How To Store & Freeze?
If you want to store then make a packet and place it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. If you want to store it for a long time then place it in an airtight container or bag and store it in the freezer for 15 days. Don't store for a longer time as it's homemade with any preservative.
How To Reheat?
Take out creamy garlic mashed potatoes from the freezer, microwave for 2 minutes. Now in a heating frying pan, add butter/olive oil (1 Tsp). Add the mashed potatoes to a pan also add little milk and mix well. Stir on medium to high temperature and take out. Garnish and enjoy!
What to Serve with It?
Mashed potatoes can be served in a variety of ways. It's the best recipe to pair up with chicken, veggies, and salmon. Not only serve with variety but also you can make a variety of dishes with mashed potatoes like Shepherd's pie and sandwiches.
It's easy and super quick to make creamy garlic mashed potatoes that you can serve with your main course. It's a multi-purpose recipe that can be used in a variety of ways. Here I prepare in traditional style with fresh garlic and full-fat milk. Easily prepared and super tasty to have. If you are a beginner and trying in your kitchen then it's easy to watch step by step recipe video to follow quick steps.
Thanks for watching the video! If you enjoy it, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and hit the bell icon to get video alert.
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes Russet & Yukon Gold - 2 Big
- Water To Boil - 1 Cup
- Salt - ½ Tsp
- Butter - 2 Tsp
- Garlic Grated - 1 Clove
- Milk - ½ Cup
- Mozzarella Cheese Shredded - ½ Cup [Optional]
- Parsley Butter & Olive oil for garnish
- Peel potato skin.
- Cut into cubes. Wash potatoes and place in a pan with 1 cup water.
- Boil for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- After 20 minutes, mash potatoes.
- In a pan, add butter and heat it up. Add grated garlic and saute on medium heat until garlic changes color.
- Now add mashed potatoes to the pan and give it a good mix. Sprinkle black pepper.
- Add milk and stir the pan until potatoes start to separate.
- Now add cheese and give it a good mix.
- Don't overcook otherwise the potatoes will be mushy.
- Take out in platter and garnish with parsley, olive oil, and butter.
1) don't over-boil.
2) Properly mash like a smooth creamy texture.
3) Use Yukun gold or russet potatoes.
4) You can also add garlic powder in the place of grated garlic.
5) Don't cook potatoes for a long time otherwise it will mushy in texture.
6) Avoid adding milk in high quantity otherwise the potatoes will be lumpy in texture. Shelf Life: 3 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing: you can freeze in an airtight container for 12 to 20 days.
How to reheat: Take out creamy garlic mashed potatoes from the freezer, microwave for 2 minutes. Now in a heating pan, add butter/olive oil (1 Tsp). Add the potatoes and also add little milk and mix well. Stir on medium to high temperature and take out.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking