Crispy golden brown Indian potato cutlet recipe prepared with mashed potatoes, seasoned with spices and herbs, shallow fried with breadcrumbs coating. Perfect tea time snack and the best appetizer to serve with honey garlic sauce and chutney. Eggless, vegan, and gluten free recipe idea.
Most of the people know this recipe as Indian aloo cutlet.
About Potato Cutlet
Potato cutlet or aloo cutlet is the best version of fried mashed potatoes. Whenever it comes to making quick snacks that are equally tasty and delicious then potato cutlet comes to my mind. It’s a simple potato recipe that anybody can make with convenience. However, the recipe can be prepared in a variety of ways as there are so many options to add diversity to this recipe. I tried to make it simple and easy so if you are a beginner and have potatoes at home then must try this and it will add value to your taste.
The texture of potato cutlet is crispy and crunchy from outside and inside is soft, and chewy with savory mashed potatoes.
Potatoes are the most widely used vegetable that people love to eat across the world. You can make a variety of snacks using potatoes. As I am a foodie and love to prepare food, so I have tried so many recipes to make potato cutlet but believe me this one is special that's why I am sharing it on priority
The addition of roasted gram flour along with spices and cornflour adds a crunch and nutty taste to these cutlets. Normally cutlet gets soggy after a few minutes of frying but here it will stay crispy for a long time until or unless you keep it at room temperature without covering it.
This recipe is driven by my mother who used to make it for evening tea. Sometimes she skips breadcrumbs coating and directly fries so it feels like potato Tikki or kabab. You can also make the variation as per your taste and flavor. It's a true flavor of Indian and Pakistani potato cutlets.
SEE ALSO: Homemade Potato Chips
Potatoes: use starchy potatoes to boil and remove skin
Seasoning: salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, and chaat masala make a perfect seasoning.
Herbs: used green chilies, freshly chopped coriander/cilantro, and purple chopped onion (Indian).
Gram Flour: roast the gram flour (besan) before use.
Corn Flour: used to add crispiness in cutlets. Used gluten free.
Breadcrumbs: coated cutlets with breadcrumbs to get a crispy and crunchy texture.
Vegetable oil: use any type of vegetable, canola, or sunflower oil. Olive oil is also good for shallow frying.
How to Make
Let's start with boiling potatoes with skin and fully boil for 20 to 25 minutes on medium heat. After boiling, remove the skin and now it's ready for mashing. Use a potato masher or simple fork and properly mash potatoes. Season with salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, and chaat masala. Also, add freshly chopped coriander and mint along with chopped onions. Add roasted gram flour (besan) with cornflour to add crispiness in the cutlet. Mix all the ingredients! Make a shape of a cutlet. Give a nice coating with breadcrumbs and shallow fry to get golden crispy potato cutlets. Keep it on absorbent paper to avoid soggyness.
Air Fryer Cutlet
It’s healthy to prepare potato cutlets in air fryer. To start the process, make sure to preheat the Air fryer before 5 minutes at 220°C or 428°F. Spray oil at the base of the air fryer basket and keep the cutlet in a basket with some distance. Now give a good oil spray over the cutlets as it will help to make crispy frying. Turn on frying for 12 to 15 minutes. After 7 minutes, flip the cutlet to fry from another side.
- Use nonstarchy potatoes as it gives you more flavor and taste.
- Avoid deep-frying.
- To get crispy texture, monitor oil temperature on each step.
- Initially place the cutlet in the heated oil pan.
- As the cutlet gets initial crisp then lower the heat to make it extra crispy.
- In the same way, flip and apply the same step to manage crispiness.
- Take it out on the kitchen rack so it gets air from the up and downside. In this way, it will remain crispy for a long time.
- Place cutlets on room temperature. Avoid heated or warm place to stay crispy for long time.
Store & Freeze
It's easy to store non-fried potato cutlet in an airtight container for 1 month in the freezer. To avoid cluttering after freeze, not down this tip. When you place the container in the freezer then right after 1 hour shuffle the cutlets and keep them in freezer again. In this way, cutlets will not stick together during freezer time. I always do this and it comes out so easy. Microwave frozen cutlet for 2 minutes and then fry, bake or air fry whatever you want.
If you are storing fried cutlets then keep them in the refrigerator and they will last for 3 to 4 days.
- Topped with garlic mayo sauce.
- Serve with tomato ketchup.
- Make a serving with cheese sauce.
- Try with yogurt dip.
- Serve with meethi chutney.
- Topped with green chutney.
Here in this recipe, I topped it with plum sauce which is extremely delicious and simple, and easy to make.
It's a quick and easy recipe idea of 'Potato Cutlet' that you can easily make at home to serve as a snack/appetizer. If you try this recipe in your kitchen then share your picture or join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
Is Potato Cutlet Vegan or Gluten Free?
Yes, potatoes are plant based so it’s vegan. If you add any type of dairy to it then it becomes non vegan. Potatoes are starchy vegetables so it’s gluten free.
Which potatoes are best for cutlets?
I prefer to use starchy potatoes as they are fluffy in texture. Soft and floury from inside and become crispy after frying.
Can I bake Potato Cutlets?
Yes, 100% you can easily bake potatoes by lining aluminum foil on a baking tray. Spray oil on the tray and place potato cutlet with distance. Spray oil at top of the cutlet and bake at 220°C or 428°F in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
Is potato cutlet good for health?
Potatoe cutlets are good for health if it's cooked with the right ingredients. It's a good source of multivitamins and contains fiber that is extremely important to stay healthy and fit. If you are seeking weight loss recipes then try this in an air fryer.
You Might Like This
Potato Cutlet (Aloo Cutlet)
- Frying Pan
- ½ kg Boiled Potato
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 2 teaspoon Green Chilies
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Onion
- Fresh Coriander and Mint
- 2 tablespoon Roasted Gram Flour Besan
- 1 tablespoon Corn Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Bread Crumbs For Coating
- Oil for Frying
- Boil potatoes and remove skin.
- Properly mash the potatoes.
- Add all the spices (salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, chaat masala) and fresh herbs (green chilies, fresh coriander/cilantro, onions).
- Add roasted Besan and Cornflour.
- Mix all the ingredients with boiled potatoes
- Make a Pattie (cutlet).
- Coat with Breadcrumbs.
- Shallow Fry until getting golden brown color.
- Take out and serve!
- Use floury or wax potatoes as it gives you more flavor after mashing. Mostly prefer for baking. (Yukon gold are best).
- Shallow fried cutlets are much better than deep fried.
- Use rice flour for an extra crispy texture.
- Monitor oil temperature before frying. Make sure the oil is preheated.
- As the cutlet gets first fried coat then slow the heat process to make it extra crispy.
- In the same way, flip and apply the same step to manage crispiness.
- Take it out on the kitchen rack so it gets air from the up and downsides. In this way, it will remain crispy for a long time.
- Place cutlets at room temperature. Avoid heated or warm places to stay crispy.