Soft and chewy homemade Pizza poppers are the best! It's a mini pizza bites or pizza bombs that can be served as a snack or an appetizer at your next party. It’s a kid-friendly recipe that will finish in no time.
These poppers are loaded with the flavor of melted mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce nicely stuffed in pizza dough and baked with the topping of an Italian butter herb sauce that makes an incredible taste and delectable aroma.
I am excited to prepare the homemade pizza poppers recipe as it’s so simple and easy to customize according to flavor and availability. I used chicken chunks in pizza toppings, that can be replaced with pepperoni, veggies, and sausages. If your pizza dough is ready, then you will hardly take 30 minutes to prepare these phenomenal poppers that your kids will surely love to have. Whenever I think about kid-friendly finger food recipes, this recipe pops into my mind as it is super simple, and everyone loves to have it.
I don’t know who invented this recipe, but I remember a few years back when I ate Mozzarella popper pizza it was true bliss to enjoy the packed flavor of these small poppers in the form of big pizza. I feel it’s an innovative part of pizza-making to connect people.
Don't want to connect together...
To make this recipe, it’s not essential to make it by connecting the poppers together. You can also bake with some distance as individual dough balls. It’s a matter of creativity, to connect the dough balls in a particular shape like a heart, circle, or in other formats.
Why Do I Love This Recipe?
People think pizza poppers are for kids but believe me, it’s a family-friendly recipe that your grandmother or father will also love to have. You know the fun part is preparing these poppers. It’s a fun activity for my son to make it.
I feel it’s an extension of calzone pizza or garlic knots. Last time, when I prepared dinner rolls my son told me, mamma you forget to add cheese to it. So, it’s a classical type of traditional recipe with pizza dough but regenerate in new ways. I am happy that it’s a new fun pizza recipe that kids love and always participate in making it.
This is the recipe that you can make before the party and just bake it before serving. Ideally, fresh and timely baked pizza poppers are best to have as it’s extremely soft, chewy, and fluffy in texture. For leftovers, Microwave reheating will also satisfy the soft and fluffy taste. Don’t undermine this option, if you are planning to make a big batch.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pizza dough - For homemade pizza dough, take 3 cups of All-purpose flour to make the dough. If using store bought then 1 package of 13.5 oz will be enough.
Mozzarella Cheese: Used shredded cheese. Cube can be used.
Pizza Sauce: Semi thick pizza sauce used in this recipe.
Stuffing: There are plenty of options for stuffing. Fajita chicken, leftover tandoori chicken, tikka chunks or roasted veggies, sausages, or pepperoni are best to stuff the poppers.
Topping: Made a sauce with butter and Italian seasoning. Garlic can also be used to make garlic butter sauce.
How to Make Pizza Poppers
1. As I am using homemade pizza dough so it's better to knead it properly to make it smooth and fluffy in texture. The same process can be applied on frozen or store bought pizza dough. Kneading will help to rise the dough while baking.
2. After kneading the dough is ready to make poppers.
3. Distribute the dough with hands in small uniform size balls.
4. Flat it with hand with the help of All purpose flour. (To avoid dough sticking).
5. Apply pizza sauce in the middle of the dough. Place chicken topping (or your preferred topping). Next load with shredded/cubed mozzarella cheese.
6. To wrap the dough, use finger to twist it from sides and then make a small ball. (Watch video for clear understanding).
7. Set the baking tray with Aluminum foil. Now place all the stuffed balls in pizza tray.
8. In a bowl, add butter, olive oil and Italian seasoning. Mix it well and apply on all the pizza poppers with the help of brush.
9. Bake at 220°C or 428°F for 12 to 15 minutes.
Broil for last 5 minutes to get even golden brown color. (Baking timing may vary depending upon the brands of oven).
Take it out and enjoy!
Watch Pizza Poppers Recipe
Tips & Variations
This recipe has a vast area to customize according to your taste and interest. I used a simple and quick option of stuffing but it can easily be customized to add more substance in stuffing.
I prefer not to overload the stuffing otherwise the chances of torn poppers will increase.
Check the quality of the pizza dough before making it.
When it comes to making best pizza poppers, the thickness of the dough matters a lot. The thin or thick crust of poppers depends upon the choice. I don’t want to make it thin so didn’t roll it like a flatbread. Semi-thick poppers provide the best result as they’re fluffier and chewier in texture.
Make sure the pizza sauce should be thick and smooth so it can easily stick inside the poppers.
In stuffing, fajita chicken, pepperoni, sausages, olives, and veggies can be used.
Overbaking can make it hard in texture so properly monitor the time to get the best results.
It’s best to serve right after baking. The taste of freshly baked pizza poppers is awesome, and nobody can ignore it.
Here are a few options that you can add if you are planning to add to a party menu.
Store & Reheat
Refrigerate (best option): Simply place the leftover pizza poppers in an airtight glass container for 3 to 4 days and reheat it in the microwave for 2 minutes before use. Remember, there are no preservatives added to this recipe so don’t store for a long time as bacteria may activate.
Freeze: Baked/Prebaked pizza popper can be placed in freezer-friendly bags for 1 month. The best way to freeze the pizza poppers is to place them in a tray and keep all the popper at some distance. Then keep the tray in the freezer for 1 or 2 hours. When it gets hard or seems frozen then place in a freezer bag and store it. In this way, it will not stick or clutter.
To reheat, take it out as many as you want and bring it on room temperature by giving time or simply place in microwave for 5 minutes to defrost. After, you can bake it or use the reheated ones.
At Room Temperature: If the atmosphere temperature is 30C or less than it’s good to keep it on the kitchen counter for 6 to 7 hours.
Keep at room temperature for up to 4 hours or in the fridge for about 5 days in an airtight container. They freeze very nicely, so if you have a lot leftover or want to make a big batch to freeze, store them in plastic freezer bags for up to 6 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave, toaster, or air fryer.
Q & A
This recipe prepared with All purpose flour which has moderate gluten level so if you are sensitive then take vegan flour for pizza. Mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce and butter is gluten free.
Use aluminum foil or parchment paper for smooth transition. Rub little oil on foil before placing the pizza poppers. After baking, give it 5 minutes to settle the heat and then transfer it to platter.
More Pizza Dough Recipes
If you are looking forward to try this 'Pizza Poppers' recipe or something else, then don’t forget to Rate the Recipe by clicking on stars and ask your query in comment section. I would love to reply to make your experience successful. It will be encouraging if you share your recipe shots with me to share on stories at Instagram.
- 400 g Pizza dough
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- I am using homemade pizza dough so it's better to knead it properly to make it smooth and fluffy in texture. The same process can be applied to frozen or store-bought pizza dough. Kneading will help to rise the dough while baking.
- After kneading the dough is ready to make poppers.
- Distribute the dough with hands in small uniform size balls.
- Flat it with hand with the help of All purpose flour. (To avoid dough sticking).
- Apply pizza sauce in the middle of the dough. Place chicken topping (or your preferred topping). Next load with shredded/cubed mozzarella cheese.
- To wrap the dough, use the finger to twist it from sides and then make a small ball. (Watch the video for clear understanding).
- Set the baking tray with Aluminum foil. Now place all the stuffed balls in the pizza tray.
- In a bowl, add butter, olive oil, and Italian seasoning. Mix it well and apply on all the pizza poppers with the help of a brush.
- Bake at 220°C or 428°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Broil for the last 5 minutes to get an even golden brown color. (Baking timing may vary depending upon the brand of the oven).
- Use homemade or store-bought pizza dough (1 package 13.5 oz) will be enough.
- Verify the quality of pizza dough before making poppers. If the dough is fresh and rising, use it!
- Manage the thickness of poppers by rolling the flatbread before stuffing. I just took the dough, flat it with my palm, place the stuffing, and sealed the dough.
- Avoid using runny pizza sauce.
- Be comfortable in making stuffing. Fajita chicken, chicken tikka chunks, veggies, sausages, olives, and pepperoni is the best option.
- Overbaking can make it hard in texture so properly monitor the time to get the best results.