The ultimate taste of homemade Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe will add value to your dinner or lunch! Delicious and tasty baked potatoes that everyone loves to eat. It's a French dish also famous as Dauphinoise Potatoes make with the layering of russet potatoes with creamy and cheesy sauce. A single bite can make a big difference in taste!
Homemade Au Gratin Potatoes baked with creamy cheese sauce is the best dinner idea to serve as a Side dish.
Share with your friends and family, they will surely love it!
What are Potatoes Au Gratin?
It's a classical potato recipe from French cuisine. Gratin is basically a baking technique use to form a light brown crust at the top of the dish or showing sizzling or melted cheese. In culinary techniques, Gratin refers to Gratiner or simply shows the baked top of the dish while the Au Gratins represents scrapings.
Potato Gratin Vs. Scalloped Potatoes
Both dishes are more or less the same but here is the simple difference that makes a big difference in taste.
To make potato gratin, lined up the evenly sliced potatoes in a shallow baking dish and layer them with a creamy and cheesy sauce then bake for an hour. Topped with cheese or breadcrumbs to brown the top of the dish that makes it so tempting.
scalloped potatoes are thick-sliced and bake with garlic, flour, and cream sauce.
How to Choose Potatoes to Make Gratin
Potato makes a big difference in baking. I have tried the dish with different potatoes but the russet potatoes are the most recommended to get the perfect texture of this recipe. It's starchy and people use it for baking and mashing. American Idaho potatoes are the same as Russet potatoes. Alternatively, you can use Yukon Gold. In the UK, you can take Maris Piper or King Edward.
Don't Forget to Watch:
Life is good when you have sizzling baked potatoes on the table
7 Tips to Make The Best
Here are a few tips and tricks for beginners trying au gratin at home:
- Best Cheese to Make Gratin: Cheese is important to make a perfect taste in a gratin. Usually, the chef recommends Gruyere which is costly as compared to other cheese stuff. I have switched it with cheddar and mozzarella which is perfect for baking.
- Recommended Dish to Make Gratin: Try to use a shallow baking dish that allows food to cook quickly and brown evenly. 11 x 7-inch baking dish is the preferred one but you can make a choice as per your availability.
- What Potatoes: Use starchy potatoes to make a gratin. It will give you the perfect taste after baking.
- Alternative of Cream: If you are not using cream then take Full-Fat Milk to make gratin sauce.
- Don't over pour the cream sauce over potatoes otherwise, it will be flowier after baking.
- Make sure the potatoes are dried or wet. Avoid placing watery potatoes on the baking dish.
- Wrap the gratin with foil to bake it in the oven. After 01 hours, take it out and topped with mozzarella cheese, and bake it from the upside to create the actual gratin look.
SEE ALSO: Homemade Potato Chips
I can hardly find one who doesn't love the aroma of baked potatoes
I personally love to make different styles of baked potatoes. Potato gratin stands at number 1 on my list and prefers to make it as a side dish with dinner. You can also make parties and family get together as a snack. Super easy and delicious to have. Here is a step-by-step video recipe that you can easily make at home kitchen. So if you are a beginner and looking for how to make au potato gratin then watch this quick recipe tutorial.
You can find the video recipe in recipe card down below this post.
Potatoes - medium-size starchy russet potatoes are recommended to create the best flavor of gratin potatoes.
Butter - Used 1 tbsp of salted butter.
Flour - All purpose flour used to make the sauce
Milk - A glass of full fat milk.
Salt - Used ¼ Tsp (Adjust according to taste)
Black Pepper - ¼ Tsp
Paprika - ¼ Tsp
Cream - 1 Tbsp
Cheese - 1 Cup + Topping
Parsley for garnish
How to Bake?
To make the homemade au potato gratins, it's simple and easy to slice potatoes and dip them in for 5 minutes. Then rinse and drain! Now in a heated pan, add butter and all-purpose flour and cook for few minutes until it starts to change color and become aromatic. Make sure to cook on low heat. Then add milk and quickly stir with a whisk to avoid any lump. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Continuous stir the pan to make a smooth sauce.
In the meanwhile, set the baking dish and layer the potatoes slices and evenly pour the sauce. Sprinkle a good amount of shredded cheese. Repeat the layering process twice. Wrap the upper part of the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour at 220°C or 428°F.
Now take it out and carefully remove the foil. Topped with Mozzarella cheese and bake again for 5 minutes from upside to give the signature au gartin color. Serve and enjoy with your family and friends.
Au gratin potatoes are creamy and cheesy in taste so pair up with salads or some main course to make it a meal. Like; I love to serve with greek style chickpea salad, or might be a macaroni salad without mayo or cream.
Happy cooking and happy eating!!
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Try it!! And Join Us
It’s a quick and easy potato gratin recipe that you can easily make at home to serve as a side dish. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
How to Avoid Potato Gratin Curdle?
Make sure the gratin creamy sauce is thick and smooth in texture. Don't add too much sauce. Well Balanced the sauce with cheese as it's the main reason for curdling. Make sure the potatoes are dried or wet. It should be watery otherwise the curdling effect will be prominent. Keep the right proportion of sauce on potatoes as it will give the best texture after baking. Preheat the oven otherwise the potatoes will release water.
How to Store and Use Gratins?
You can store it for 4 to 5 days in an airtight container. Make sure to refrigerate.
Can I reheat potato gratin?
Yes, you can! Preheat the oven and keep the baking dish for 10 to 15 minutes. If gratin seems dry then add little milk or cheese but this is all optional.
Is Potato Gratin the same as dauphinoise?
More or less the both are the same with little difference as the dauphinoise doesn't contain cheese. Many people use half boiled potatoes to make gratins while in Dauphinoise the potatoes are not precooked.
Why Soak Potatoes?
You can soak potatoes just for 5 to 10 minutes but avoid soaking for a long time as it will release the starch. We need starch in this recipe to make a stack of baked potatoes.
Homemade Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe (Dauphinoise)
- Shallow baking dish
- 3 Potatoes Medium Size
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 Glass Milk - 1 Glass
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Cream
- 1 cup Cheese shredded
- Parsley for garnish chopped
- Evenly slice russet potatoes.
- Dip in water for 5 minutes then rinse and drain water.
- In the meanwhile, add butter in a heated pan.
- Sauce Preparation: Melt the butter and add all purpose flour and cook for few minutes until the flour becomes aromatic and slightly starts changing color.
- Now pour milk and stir well.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Stir and mix well.
- Now add cheese and stir to make a thick and smooth sauce.
- Set the Baking dish: Layer with potato slices then evenly pour the sauce. Sprinkle cheese.
- Repeat the layering process 2 times.
- Wrap with the baking dish with Aluminum foil.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour at 220°C or 428°F.
- Now take it out and carefully remove the foil.
- Topped with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake again for 5 minutes to give symbolic gratin color.
- Take it out and enjoy!
- Use starchy potatoes
- Make sure the potatoes are dried before making a layer in the baking dish.
- Don't soak potatoes for too long.
- Use shallow dish for baking
- For the best result, use evenly sliced potatoes.
- Make sure the gratin sauce is thick and smooth otherwise curdling effect will be prominent.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes, otherwise, the potatoes will release water.
More Potato Recipes: