Finally, found the secret of crispy homemade potato chips after trying so many times. These deep-fried potato chips are super crispy, lightweight, and seem like nongreasy. It will remain crispy for a long time. You can try this recipe with confidence to make the crispiest chips at home kitchen.
Homemade Potato Chips - How to Make Chips - Potato Wafers: here is a step-by-step video recipe and instructions to make extremely crispy potato chips. It's an international recipe that everyone can use to make delicious and tasty thinly sliced potato chips using minimal ingredients from the pantry.
About this Recipe
Potato chips are also famous as potato crisp or wafers. These handheld snacks can be eaten as snack, appetizers or as starters. It can be prepared with wafer thin slices of raw potato and deep fried to get crispy, light golden brown potato chips. Simple and easy recipe prepared with minimal ingredients.
Thinly slice the raw potatoes soak for a few minutes in saltwater. Wash properly, drain water, and fry. Crispy potato wafers will be ready in no time.
It's a traditional recipe to make classical-style potato chips. To make it extremely crispy dust the potato slices with rice flour that is my secret ingredient to make extra crispy chips.
Crispy and crunchy homemade potato chips are the most popular and demanding snack that everybody loves to eat. Must try this super easy and quick recipe to prepare super crispy chips at home and store for later use.
How To Select Potatoes For Chips?
Floury potatoes are good for making potato chips. It has a fluffy, dry texture that make it perfect for chips and other potato fried dishes. If you are living in UK, you can easily find King Edward and Maris Piper to make your chips. It has earthy flavor and retain the shape after frying. In the same way, Mozart potoates are good for roasting.
If you are living in America, then try with Yukon Gold or russet potatoes as they have starch content so will give you good result after frying. Normally due to high content of starch it doesn't retain the shape. Temperature management while frying is important to make potato chips.
SEE ALSO: Deep Frying Tips
Tips to Make Super Crispy
Here are a few tips to make the chips extremely crispy and crunchy for long time:
- Make sure to take the non-starchy potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into extremely thin slices to make them crispy for a longer time.
- Never soak potato slices for a long time. (5 to 10 minutes are enough for soaking).
- Make sure to dry potatoes after soaking. Wet potatoes will not form a crispy texture.
- Use rice flour to quickly dry the potatoes.
- Never fry potato chips on extremely high heat.
- Initially Deep fry potatoes at high temperature. As potatoes start to become hard then turn the heat to medium to fry from inside.
- Run spoon in oil as potatoes started to get harder.
- Take out on kitchen paper or wire to release excessive oil.
- Never cover the chips right after frying otherwise it will become soggy.
SEE ALSO: Potato Cutlet
My entire kitchen was full of fried potatoes aroma that tempt everyone to have it. If you are true potato lover then you will easily relate the same when you will make at your home. You can't imagine, how much I was happy after making this as it seems like store bought chips. Same crispiness, color, texture and flavor. Above all, it's easy to make just by using few ingredients. Here is a step by step video recipe that you can watch to follow the quick steps. So if you are a beginner and looking for how to make potato chips then watch this quick tutorial.
You can find the recipe card down below this post.
Potatoes - Use floury or starchy potaotes to make chips.
Chilled Water (Pan filled) - To soak the potatoes
Rice flour - Used as secret ingredients to make the chips extra crispy. It will be lightweight wafer after frying.
Oil - Use any vegetable, canola or sunflower oil for deep frying.
Salt & Peppers - Used for seasoning
How To Make
Cutting & Slicing: Properly peel the potato skin and cut into thin slices using hand knife or chips slicer.
Soaking: Dip potato slices in chilled water for 10 minutes. Add ½ Tsp of salt and mix well. After 10 minutes, drain water and wash potatoes to remove the starch.
Coating: In a bowl, add rice flour just to dust the potatoes to make them dry. (If you have time then you can keep the potato slices in sunlight to dry the water).
Deep Frying: Initially place potatoes in hot oil and as it gets first coat then turn the heat to medium to make it crispy from inside. Take out on kitchen paper as it evenly golden brown in color.
Seasoning: Season with salt and peppers. You may sprinkle cheese masala, paprika, black peppers and other seasoing as per your choice.
Crunchy and Crispy "Potato Chips" are ready to serve. Happy cooking and happy eating!!
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Try it!! And Join Us
It’s a quick and easy 'homemade potato chips' deep fried recipe that you can easily make at home for kids munching and serve your family and friends. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
You can season the chips with your flavor and spices. Here I seasoned it with salt and black pepper but you can add more flavor like cheese masala, paprika, or other types of seasoning and toppings as per your taste buds.
How to Store?
You can store in two ways:
- Potato Slices (Before frying): To store potato chips before frying just pack the potatoes after dusting with rice flour in an airtight container. Refrigerate for 01 weeks. Make sure to reshuffle potatoes after 01 hour of freezing (this step will help you to avoid sticking and cluttering potatoes). When you need it, take it out and fry it in hot oil. You don't need to microwave for frying.
- After frying: It's a simple and easy method to store. Fry all the potatoes and keep them on the wire to release excessive oil. Don't cover until the potatoes are hot. As the potato comes at room temperature then you can pack or store it in an airtight container for 3 days. Keep it a cool place.
How to make homemade chips crispy?
To make crispy chips, make sure the chips are dried before frying. To make them dry, you can use a fan to dry or just place them on paper to dry with room air but it will take longer. Here in this recipe, I dust with rice flour to quickly dried the potatoes. It will help to retain excess water and make it ready for perfect frying. After frying, place the chips on kitchen papers or wire so it can release the excessive oil. Avoid covering the potatoes until it comes to room temperature.
How do you dry potato chips before frying?
There are many ways to dry the potatoes here listing 5 different and easy ways:
- Prefer high starch potatoes to make chips.
- Use the fan to dry potatoes. Place the potato in a big tray and place it under the fan.
- You can also dry naturally using room air but it will take longer to dry.
- Many people keep it sun as it dried the water from potatoes. This method will also take 4 to 5 hours.
- Use rice flour to quickly dry the potatoes.
- You can also use towels to dry potatoes.
How to select potatoes to make the best chips?
I personally use potatoes with starch as it helps to dry faster and have low water retention capability. Russet and Maris Piper are good to make potatoes as it soft and dry in texture.
Are Homemade potato chips healthy?
As the homemade chips are without preservatives and artificial flavor so it's more healthy as compared to store-bought chips. Also, low in calories!
Why are my homemade chips not crispy?
It depends on which type of potatoes are you using for frying. Try to find high starch potatoes as it will help to dry faster with low water retention. Manage the temperature for perfect frying. Initially place potatoes at a high temperature and as it starts to get harder then turn the heat to medium so it can cook from inside. Avoid cooking at extremely high temperatures. When removing the chips from oil, make sure it should do not come with excessive oil otherwise it will be soggy after a few minutes. Place it on an absorbing paper like kitchen paper, highly absorbing tissues, or brown papers.
How to Make Thin Slice of Potatoes?
You can use a knife, cutter, slicer, or machine to make them uniform in slicing. Simply use any type of slicing tool that you can easily manage. There are so many chips slicer on the market that you can use. If you are good in cutting then slice with a kitchen knife.
You Might Like This
Crispiest Homemade Potato Chips (Deep Fried)
- 3 Potatoes Medium Size
- ½ tsp Salt
- Chilled Water Pan filled
- ½ cup Rice flour
- Oil – For deep frying
- Salt & Peppers
- Peel the potato skin.
- Cut potatoes into thin slices.
- Dip potato slices in chilled water for 10 minutes.
- Add ½ Tsp of salt and mix well.
- After 10 minutes, drain water and wash potatoes to remove the starch.
- In a bowl, add rice flour just to dust the potatoes to make them dry. (If you have time then you can keep the potato slices in sunlight to dry the water).
- Deep fry the potatoes.
- Initially place potatoes in hot oil and as it gets first coat then turn the heat to medium to make it crispy from inside.
- Take out on kitchen paper as it evenly golden brown in color.
- Season with salt and peppers.
- Never soak potato for a long time.
- Russet potatoes are good to make chips
- Use rice flour to quickly dry the potatoes
- Manage proper temperature for frying
- Avoid cooking at extremely high temperatures.
- Season and top with your favorite spice and herbs.