Chicken Nihari Recipe - چکن نہاری: If you are true foodie then you must love Nihari. One of the most popular recipe in sub-continent that people love to eat especially in Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh.
People also prepare it with mutton and camel meat. Here, I am sharing an authentic recipe of a famous Nihari house in Karachi that you can use to prepare in your kitchen. Nihari has a special and unique taste and aroma.
Most of the restaurants prepare Nihari at breakfast. I remember, my father was used to eat it once in a week in breakfast and we all join them as a kid. Since then, we have developed our taste and now eat nihari with love 🙂
In restaurants, there is a special arrangement of Nihari like they set up meat, gravy, and tari in different pans. In the same way, there is some option of eating Magaz Nihari or Nalli Nihari. According to customer demand, they make special serving by assembling everything together.
If you are a true lover of this dish then surely try this recipe with confidence to make tasty Chicken Nihari in your home kitchen. Nihari has special look so make it with true ingredients to get some texture and luster that will compel your family and gues to eat in no time.
So let's move to Hinz Kitchen and start making this "Chicken Nihari" in an easy way. Video recipe is available with Urdu/Hindi so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps. Happy watching!!
Chicken Nihari Recipe Video in Hindi / Urdu
Chicken Nihari Recipe Card
- Chicken - 700 Gms
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt - 1 Cup
- Nihari Masala Powder - 2 Tbsp (How to make nihari masala)
- Bay leaves – 8
- Cinnamon – 6-6 3″
- Nutmeg – ½ piece
- Star Anise – 2
- Green Cardamom – 20
- Black pepper – 40
- Cloves – 25
- Dry Ginger – Saunth 6″ piece
- Fennel Seeds – 1.5 Tbsp
- Coriander Seed – 3 Tsp
- Black Cumin – 1 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 Tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 2 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1.5 Tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
- Water - ½ liter2
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Onion Slices - 1 Medium size (For Tadka)
- Garnish with Julianne Ginger, Green Chilies and Lemon
- In a pan, add 2 Tbsp oil,
- Also, add 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste. Cook on high temperature until oil floats on the surface.
- Now add, Chicken - 700 gms and cook at very high temperatures to make chicken juicy and chewy.
- Add yogurt - 1 Cup. Cook on high heat until it forms a gravy.
- In the meanwhile, add Nihari Masala Powder.
- (To make nihari masala, take Bay leaves – 8, Cinnamon –6 inches, Nutmeg – ½ piece, Star Anise – 2, Green Cardamom – 20, Black pepper – 40, Cloves – 25, Dry Ginger – Saunth 6″ piece,Fennel Seeds – 1.5 Tbsp, Coriander Seed – 3 Tsp, Black Cumin – 1 Tsp, Cumin Seeds – 2 Tsp. Combine and grind all ingredients to make a powder in grinder. Now in a separate bowl add: Red Chili Powder – 2 Tsp, Turmeric Powder – 1.5 Tsp, Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp, Ground Garam Masala – 2 Tbsp. Mix well..
- Add 3 Tsp, nihari masala powder in curry.
- Again, stir masala on high heat.
- Add water - ½ liter. Mix well!!
- Cover for 35 minutes.
- Now in a bowl, add aata (wheat flour), a pinch of salt and water to make a thick solution.
- Now add this flour solution in Nihari. Make sure to add slowly and gradually by monitoring the thickness of the Nihari gravy.
- Stir constantly otherwise the gravy will show the lumpy texture.
- Now check salt. Adjust accordingly.
- Cover and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes on low heat.
- In the meanwhile prepare tadka, In hot oil, add onion slices. Fry onion until it gets golden brown color.
- Add tadka in curry and keep it on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- As the oil floats over the pan the Nihari is ready to serve.
Serve Chicken nihari with naan or tandoori roti to enhance the taste.
Try it!! And Join Us
In chicken curry recipes, Nihari is tasty and delicious. It's a simple recipe for foodies to try at home kitchen. Try it and it would be great if you share your experience after making it. Happy watching!!!
You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.