Authentic Spaghetti Arrabiata recipe prepared with homemade spicy arrabbiata sauce with the paste of fresh tomatoes. This recipe is from Rome, Italy, and is famous as ‘angry spaghetti’ just because of the spiciness of red chili peppers.
If you love to try spicy food then this recipe is for you as it will give you a roller coaster ride of emotions. You must be happy and excited to eat it while tearing and feeling hot to take another bite. Isn’t it? I had the same feeling when I tried it first. The sweet, tangy, and savory flavor of arrabbiata sauce with spaghetti and parmesan makes it perfect to try at weekend dinner.
This recipe is good to serve for family dinner but not for kids as it’s extremely spicy. If you want to make it kid-friendly, skip the chili flakes or use according to your tolerance.
What is Spaghetti Arrabiata?
Spaghetti a la arrabiata is the most popular pasta from Italy prepared with hot and spicy arrabbiata sauce. In Italian, arrabbiata means angry so the recipe is also famous for angry pasta which will not make you angry but will give you the emotions of anger by turning your face red as it will naturally intact the heat receptors in your skin. You will feel heated just because of the spice level. People are crazy to eat this recipe and spend euros to take a bite.
Here is the simple and easy way to make the best spaghetti arrabiata at home with authentic arrabiata sauce using fresh tomatoes. It is simple, easy, and economical and you can easily manage the spice level according to your requirements.
In Italian gastronomic culture, pasta, pizza, espresso, and other forms of Mediterranean-inspired food are so common. Peperoncini is the iconic hot chili pepper used in most of the Italian dishes. An alternative is a sweet pepperoni that not only adds spice but also works as a taste enhancer.
If you recently visited Italy and tried this recipe and now craving at your place then here is the simple and easy way to make it at home. Before trying this recipe, I looked at Jamie Oliver arrabbiata sauce and it really helped me to get the authentic taste. It will hardly take 25 minutes to cook with boiled spaghetti.
Arrabbiata Sauce (Sugo all’arrabbiata)
Well, the taste behind this spaghetti recipe is hidden in arrabbiata sauce which is hot and spicy Italian sauce prepared with tomato paste, garlic, and onions. The sweet and tangy taste of this arrabbiata sauce is perfect to pair up with any pasta. I have tried this sauce in so many ways to make lasagne, penne, and macaroni. It’s simple and easy to make at home just by using few ingredients.
My friend told me to use the store-bought arrabitta sauce but I always feel comfortable making homemade sauce as I can manage the spice level according to my family taste and it doesn’t take long to prepare.
Spaghetti Arrabiata Ingredients
Spaghetti: Thicker strands of spaghetti is used to hug the arrabbiata sauce. Al dente for 8 minutes to get soft and fluffy texture. Any other pasta form can also be use for this recipe. Penne goes well if you are looking for substitute.
Onion: red, white and purple onions makes a perfect taste with this sauce. Used finely chopped red onions to make the sauce. It will add more depth in a taste of sauce.
Garlic: Freshly chopped garlic cloves adds a perfect garlicky taste in sauce. If you like strong taste of garlic then increase the quantity as per your taste.
Salt & Sugar: The addition of salt with sugar will enhance the taste of the sauce.
Fresh Tomato Paste: Blend the paste of fresh tomatoes without skin to use in this sauce. If you don't have the choice then use ready made tomato paste. Fresh tomatoes make better taste in sauce.
Chili Flakes: Crushed red chilies used in this recipe. Whole Peperoncino gives the perfect taste in this recipe.
Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil used to make the sauce.
Parmesan Cheese: Top the spaghetti with parmesan cheese.
Parsley (for garnish): used freshly chopped parsely or basil for garnish. If you like add little bit in arrabbiata sauce.
How to Make Spaghetti Arrabiata
Here is the step by step photo illustration to make spaghetti arrabiata which is simple and easy to follow. If you have any ambiguity or question then please ask in comment section.
- Fill a deep pot/pan with water and bring to boiling temperature. Add salt and give it a good mix. Add spaghetti pasta in hot boiling water. Al dente for 8 minutes on high heat. As the pasta become soft, stir it with spoon to avoid cluttering. After 8 minutes, check and carefully drain the water. Rinse the pasta with tap water to release the starch. This step will help to prevent the clumping of strands. Keep the spaghetti in strainer to release excess water.
Let's Make Arrabbiata Sauce
In a pan, heat up the olive oil and saute freshly chopped garlic until it become aromatic. Now add chopped onions and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
As the onions starts to change color add salt, chili flakes and give it a good mix.
Now add freshly blend tomato paste and give it a good mix.
Keep stirring and cook on low heat until the it starts to form a thick sauce. As the sauce become thick add sugar and mix it well to combine all the ingredients.
Now the sauce is ready to go with pasta.
Add boiled spaghetti with pasta sauce and give it good mix on high temperature. Keep stirring until the sauce mix with spaghetti.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Now the pasta in arrabbiata sauce is ready to serve.
- Use stir fried veggies (carrots, bell peppers, or spinach), to make it healthy.
- Ground meat, chicken chunks or baked salmon can also be pair up with spaghetti.
- Use any other type of pasta.
- Bake the pasta topped with more cheese to give it a roasted texture.
- If you like more chili then sprinkle at the top of the pasta.
- Avoid thin strands of pasta with this sauce.
It's best to serve as main course or as a side dish with dinner or lunch. You can make baked chicken breast, oven fries, roasted carrots or sauteed mushrooms to pair up.
Q & A
Yes, you can! As the sauce came on room temperature add in container and place in freezer for 01 month. Try to consume as soon as possible as it doesn't carry preservative. You can store in refrigerator for 01 week.
To reheat the arrabbiata sauce, take it out from freezer and reheat in microwave for 2 minutes or simply use pan to heat up on stovetop at slow heat.
Store it for 01 month in freezer.
01 week in refrigerator.
24 hours at kitchen counter.
Fresh pulpy tomatoes are good to make sauce. Remove the skin. Roma and cheery tomatoes are good to make thick texture of sauce.
Use red crushed pepper flakes.
Yes, it's vegan. White granulated sugar can be skip to substitute with beet sugar.
You Might Like This
- 200 g Spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoon onion chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon for spaghetti boil + ½ teaspoon for sauce
- Parmesan cheese For topping
- Parsley or Basil leaves for garnish
Al Dente Spaghetti
- Fill a deep pot/pan with water and bring to boiling temperature. Add salt and give it a good mix.
- Add spaghetti pasta in hot boiling water. Al dente for 8 minutes on high heat. As the pasta become soft, stir it with spoon to avoid cluttering.
- After 8 minutes, check and carefully drain the water. Rinse the pasta with tap water to release the starch. This step will help to prevent the clumping of strands. Keep the spaghetti in strainer to release excess water.
How to Make Arrabbiata Sauce
- In a pan, heat up the olive oil and saute freshly chopped garlic until it become aromatic. Now add chopped onions and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- As the onions starts to change color add salt, chili flakes and give it a good mix.
- Now add freshly blend tomato paste and give it a good mix.
- Keep stirring and cook on low heat until the it starts to form a thick sauce. As the sauce become thick add sugar and mix it well to combine all the ingredients.
- Now the arrabbiata sauce is ready to go with pasta.
- Add boiled spaghetti with pasta sauce and give it good mix on high temperature. Keep stirring until the sauce mix with spaghetti.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Now the pasta in arrabbiata sauce is ready to serve.
- Al dente spaghetti in hot boiling water for 8 minutes. Make sure it should not be chalky or hard before adding in sauce.
- Overcooked (stracotto) pasta will show mushy texture so wisely monitor the time of pasta cooking.
- Always use pulpy tomatoes to make arrabbiata sauce. Discard the tomato skin before blend.
- Cook the sauce on slow flame to get thick, smooth and consistent sauce.
Simple, quick and easy recipe of spaghetti arrabiata. Must try this spicy pasta in homemade arrabbiata sauce.