Easy and Authentic homemade Indian curry masala powder recipe famous as Red curry powder that will help to make quick curry for dinner and lunch. It will only take few minutes to prepare this curry mix to easily store in your pantry for 6 months.
What is Curry Masala Powder?
In Pakistani and Indian cuisine, curry masala powder helps to make quick curry in a short time. It contains all the spices in one place in a form of powder so you can simply use it to make masala, curry, or gravy recipes. It will save time and prepare within no time.
This simple spice mix will be candidly helpful for you and save to use several spices to add to your recipe. Take a spoonful of curry powder according to the dish requirement and just add it no other spices need to add after this.
Basically, it's an amalgamation of dried and roasted Indian spices in a form of a powder that you can easily store in your kitchen pantry.
Homemade curry powder brings better taste as compared to store-bought. It's simple and easy to make within few minutes just by combining Indian spices in a form of powder. Make it and use it in your curry and make a difference in your experience.
There are different types of curry powder available in the market. This recipe is to prepare North Indian curry powder by using garam masala powder and other Indian spices to make red curry. You can use this red curry powder to make chicken curry, mutton masala, Beef keema curry, and many other recipes.
If you don't have Madras curry powder then you can use this curry masala to make curry and separately use fenugreek seeds to add flavor.
Is it Indian Red Curry Powder?
Yes, it is! Most Indian restaurants use this red curry masala powder to make quick curry to serve their customers. Restaurant-style curry always comes with a nice, smooth, viscous, and thick texture with a luscious look that's enough to impress their customers. This curry powder is the agent to make consistent gravy and masala in curry.
To make curry with a consistent and thick texture, here is the complete guide addressing all the factors that will help to make the perfect curry.
Best curry spices always work to cook perfect curry with a smooth, soupy, and thick gravy. If the gravy is showing water, and the masala is stagnant then you need a perfect curry powder or thickening agent to fix it.
Curry Powder Ingredients
Cayenne Pepper - 2 teaspoon | Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon | Cumin Powder - 1 teaspoon | Garlic Powder - ½ teaspoon | Black Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon | Turmeric Powder - ½ Tsp
Mango Powder - ⅓ teaspoon (optional) | Garam Masala - 2 teaspoon | Red Chili Powder - 1 Tsp
Salt - ½ teaspoon | Ginger Powder - ⅓ Tsp
How To Make Curry Powder
Combine all the ingredients and grind it to make a fine powder. That's it!
Watch - How did I make
Thanks for watching the video! If you enjoy it, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and hit the bell icon to get a video alert.
How To Store Curry Powder for 6 Months
Homemade curry masala powder doesn't contain any preservatives still you can store it in an airtight glass container in your pantry. The room temperature should be around 25 to 30° Celsius or 86° Fahrenheit to keep the masala fresh for a long time. It's best to store in a refrigerator in hot, humid, or in the summer season.
Shelf life is 3 to 4 months (at room temperature (25 to 30°C or 86°F)
Store In refrigerator for 6 months.
(Never store in freezer)
Follow the Dont's
Avoid to take out masala using wet spoon and hands. Don't store curry powder in plastic jar if you are storing for long time. Glass container is more recommended as it keeps the freshness of masala for long time.
Substitute For Curry Powder
Many people think garam masala is a substitute of curry powder. It could be right but curry masala powder is stronger than garam masala. However, garam masala is a part of curry powder.
If you don't have or looking for alternatives, then use garam masala and red chili powder, coriander powder, and turmeric to make Indian curry or gravy recipes.
Q & A
What is the difference between curry powder and Madras curry powder?
Madras curry powder is spicy along with the flavor of fenugreek powder while the curry powder is less spicy than madras curry powder. More or less the taste is same only difference is the spiciness.
Is Garam Masala is same as Curry Powder?
No garam masala is an ingredient of curry powder. you can use garam masala to prepare curry powder. In curry powder, other spices like ceyanne, turmeric, coriander powder is being used along with garam masala. Garam masala prepared with whole spice mix.
Is there any substitute of curry powder?
Yes, you can simply use salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric and garam masala in your curry if you don't have curry powder.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Curry Powder How to Use
- Keema Curry - It's a simple homemade keema curry that you can make by using this masala and it will be ready in one go.
- Chickpea Curry: Here is an easy recipe of chickpea masala curry that you can make by using this masala. I prepared by different spices but you can use the same recipe with curry powder and skip the individual addition of spices.
- Chicken Karahi: It's a famous recipe from Pakistan and people love it. Normally its been prepared using less spices but you can use this masala and it will really turn out so well with tomatoes and green chilies.
- Aloo Gosht: It's a perfect spice for aloo gosht. Just use the quantity according to your meat and it will really make a quality taste of aloo gosht ka salan.
You Might Like This
Curry Masala Powder (Red Curry Powder)
- 2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ⅓ teaspoon Mango Powder optional
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala Homemade
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ teaspoon Ginger Powder
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Store in Glass container for 4 months.
- Use the well-blended spice mix to make curry powder.
- For the best result, use roasted fennel and coriander powder.
- Avoid putting a wet spoon in curry powder.
- Keep it in your pantry a cool place.
- Always cover the jar right after use.
- Preferred to store in a glass jar.