Making crispy Nankhatai Recipe with 4 ingredients. If you are looking how to bake cookies without oven then try this desi style nankhatai cookies.
It's is a traditional style shortbread biscuit or a form of cookie locally famous by the name of 'Nankhatai cookies'. People from the South Asian region especially India and Pakistan loves to eat and share with family and friends.
It's a sweet Indian cookie that tastes like crunchy and nutty biscuits. It's been prepared with semolina, clarified butter ghee and, maida with the sweetness of powdered sugar. Traditionally baked in tandoor and oven but here I am making it without oven.
My mother used to make Nankhatai with the addition of semolina which makes it more crunchy and delicious in taste and also, makes it healthy to have it.
The making of Nankhatai varies with the different regions as it's a bakery cookie so different styles of cooking are observed with time. So to make authentic Nankhatai people as;
Why it's called Nankhatai?
As it belongs to South Asia, popular in India and Pakistan. The word 'Nankhatai' is derived from the Persian word Naan meaning bread and "Khatai" from a Dari Persian word meaning Biscuit. In Afghanistan and Northeast Iran, these biscuits are called Kulcha-e-Khataye. (Source: Wikipedia)
What is Nankhatai made of?
Nankhatai basically prepared just by adding 3 ingredients. All-purpose flour, powdered sugar, and ghee (clarified butter). Ingredient number 4 is optional but people use semolina, besan, or egg.
Here in this recipe, I used semolina as it's a healthy option and make it more crispy and crunchy in taste.
SEE ALSO: Chocolate Cookies Without Oven
Make sure to keep it on room temperature or best if you are placing the container at a cool place.
Avoid freezing temperatures. Also, avoid hot temperatures as it will help to carry the fungus.
SEE ALSO: Sweet Dishes Easy Recipes
Powdered Sugar (Pisi Chini) | All-Purpose Flour (Maida) | Semolina (Suji) | Clarified Butter (Ghee) - ½ Cup | Cardamom Powder (Pisi Ilaichi)- ⅓ Tsp
How To Make
Preparation of Nankhatai Cookies Dough
In a pan, add powdered sugar, and ghee. Whisk well to make a smooth paste. Sieve All purpose flour (Maida) in sugar-ghee paste. Also, add semolina and crumble with hands to make a soft dough.
Note: Don't knead the dough just make a soft dough with gentle hands.
Now take a small portion of dough and make a shape like nankhati. Place dry fruit in middle. I used pistachios (pista).
How To Bake Cookies Without Oven
Set the baking pan, brush oil, and place butter paper to avoid sticking. Place all the nankhai cookies in pan with some distance.
Preheat the pan on the stovetop. Place any stand in the middle of the pan to avoid direct heat from the bottom. Place the baking pan at the top of stand. Cover and bake 'nankhatai' for 30 minutes.
Initially keep the temperature high then turn low/medium until fully done.
Note: At this stage, you can also bake in the oven at 180-degree centigrade or gas mark 4 for 20 to 25 minutes.
Take it out and wait to cool down. Serve crispy and crunchy Nankhati biscuits.
Enjoy and have a lovely eating time!
It seems difficult to make Nan khatai cookies recipe without oven but it's not. It's so handy and easy to make on stovetop just by placing the pan. Extremely crispy and have a perfect bakery style cookie crunch.
To be very honest, I love this idea as it's super easy and quick for a small number of cookies. Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. You can also share your suggestions.
- Use the proper ratio of ingredients to make nankhatai otherwise, it will break during the making.
- Always use powdered sugar. Avoid granulated, as it will make it grainy in looks.
- The addition of cardamom powder and little cinnamon powder makes it fragrant and tasty.
- Add semolina with care otherwise, it will break during making or might be brittle when you take out after baking.
- As I am making it on the stovetop so carefully manage the temperature.
- Always line your baking pan with butter paper so avoid sticking.
- Never forget to preheat the pan. Place baking pan in the hot pan.
- Always place stand at the center of the pan to avoid direct contact with heat otherwise it will burn.
- Initially bake at high temperature for 5 minutes then turn the heat to low/medium. It will almost take 30 to 35 minutes to prepare.
- Wait to cool down, when it's done.
- If you are using oven, then bake it at 180c for 25 to 30 minutes.
How to Store?
It's easy to make and store for a long time. It's the best recipe that you can make at home and store for 15 to 20 days in an airtight container.
- Best recipe idea to serve with evening tea.
- Perfect for lunch box.
- Easy to serve with brunch.
- Ideal to store for a long time.
- Healthy to eat with breakfast tea.
- Try at festive moments Eid, Ramadan, and family get together.
So let's move to Hinz Kitchen and start making 'Nankhatai recipe' step by step in an easy way. Watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
It's a quick and easy recipe of Nankhatai Cookies that you can easily make at home without oven and share with your family and friends. You can join our Facebook group of foodies to interact with other foodies!! At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
You Might Like This
NanKhatai Recipe (Cookies Without Oven)
- Deep Pan
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar Pisi Chini
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour Maida
- 2 tablespoon Semolina Suji
- ½ cup Clarified Butter Ghee
- ⅓ teaspoon Cardamom Powder Pisi Ilaichi
- In a pan, add powdered sugar and ghee and whisk well to make a smooth solution.
- Sieve All purpose flour (Maida) in sugar ghee mixture.
- Also, add semolina and crumble with hands to make a soft dough.
- Don’t knead the dough just make a soft dough with gentle hands.
- Now take a small portion of dough and make a shape like nankhati.
- Place dry fruit in middle. I used pista (pistachios).
- Set the baking pan, brush oil and place butter paper to avoid sticking.
- Now preheat the pan on stovetop 5 minutes before placing the pan.
- Place any stand in the middle of the pan to avoid direct heat from the bottom.
- Place the baking pan on the stand.
- Cover and bake ‘nankhatai’ for 30 minutes.
- Initially keep the temperature high then turn low/medium until fully done.
- At this stage, you can bake in the oven at 180-degree centigrade or gas mark 4 for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take it out and wait to cool down.
- Serve crispy and crunchy Nankhati biscuits.
- Happy Watching!! & Happy Eating Time
- Enjoy and have a lovely eating time!
- Make sure to use the right quantity of ingredients to make perfect nankhatai. If the ingredients quantity mismatch then it may break.
- Powdered sugar is my secret ingredient to make perfect soft and crispy nankhatai cookies. Avoid granulated sugar.
- The excess of semolina may break the nankhatai.
- You can also bake it in the oven rather than making on the stovetop.