My excitement is on peak to make this stovetop cake recipe. It's an old fashioned orange pound cake prepared in a pan on stovetop that comes out so well and enriched with the flavor of fresh orange juice and zest. Let's delve how to make it!
It's easy and immaculate way to bake a cake in oven but believe me it's so easy and handy to make a cake in a pan on stovetop.
People living in India, Pakistan & Bangladesh love to make a cake without an oven as it's easy and quick. So I made this cake on the stovetop. You can also make the same in the oven. It's a perfect cake to serve with evening tea or with dinner. If you like seasonal oranges then must this soft, spongy and juicy orange cake.
What is Stovetop Cake?
Nothing is more handy if you have skills to make stovetop cake. If your oven is malfunctioning or you are in a place only with stovetop then give a try to this stovetop cake recipe that will make amazed with the results.
I was always curious to see the result of no oven cake before trying this recipe. Before making this cake, I have tried stovetop brownies, chocolate cookies and marble cake and all comes out so well with great results.
Electric or Gas Stove?
Prepare a cake in a pan on gas stove will help to aggregate the baking skills in a classical old style manner that will give you great result to make extremely moist, juicy and soft cake. In this recipe, I prepared the orange pound cake mixture and baked it in a pan on gas stove or you can apply the same recipe to electric stovetop.
Why Do I Love This Recipe?
I am making this fragrant and moist orange cake from scratch using homemade cake mix. It's the best choice to use seasonal oranges in a form of cake and serve in breakfast, teatime or as a dessert with your meals with ice cream or caramel custard pudding. Also a best gift option to share with friends and family.
In this orange pound cake recipe, I mainly used fresh orange juice and zest to give it an orange flavor that makes it different from regular sponge cake. It's moist, chewy and fragrant.
Ingredients & Substitutions
All-Purpose Flour: Used homemade cake mix with all purpose flour (maida) which is milled and contain less gluten to make it stretchy. In baking, it's best to with high number to protein as maida contain less protein.
Orange Juice + Zest: Extracted the fresh orange juice and grated the zest.
Egg: 1 medium size egg used in this recipe.
Powdered Sugar: Used white granulated sugar and turned it to powder in home chopper.
Baking Powder + Soda: It will help to rise the cake will make it puffy, and fluffy in texture.
Cooking Oil: Used vegetable oil to add lubrication in this cake. Unsalted Butter can also be used. Never replace cooking oil with clarified butter or ghee as it will totally change the taste.
Vanilla or Orange Essence: I used vanilla as it's best partner to add taste and aroma in variety of baking recipes. If you have orange essence then replace it with vanilla.
Orange Food Color (Optional): To add a bright and vibrant color to this orange sponge, orange food color is the real game changer but it's all optional to use.
How to Make Cake on Stovetop
Preparation of Cake Mixture: In a bowl, add powdered sugar and egg. Beat it well until it become fluffy in texture. Now add baking powder, baking soda, vanilla essence and oil along with freshly squeezed orange juice. Beat it well using a whisk.
Sift the all-purpose flour and directly add in cake mixture. Fold the mixture using the whisk in one direction (clockwise). Add orange zest and mix again.
Set Cake Mold: Grease the cake pan and place butter paper. Pour the cake mixture in cake pan.
Setup the Stovetop Pan to Bake the Cake:
Preheat the big/deep pan on the stovetop on high heat. Place any stand to maintain the height from the bottom. Over the stand, place the cake pan in the middle of the pan over the stand. Cover the pan lid properly.
Monitor Baking Temperature:
Bake the cake for 30 minutes. Initially keep the temperature high for 5 minutes then turn to medium. After 20 minutes, turn the temperature to low side.
To Bake in Oven: Preheat the oven and bake the cake on 180 degrees or Gas mark 4 for about 25 to 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, check the cake using a knife or skewer. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. Take it out and cool it down before serving.
Decorate: Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top to make it more tempting and scrumptious. Cut into slices and serve.
Stovetop Cake Video
It's a old style classical orange pound cake prepare with fresh orange juice and zest on stovetop. Let's watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
Tips For Stovetop Cake
- Best pan for stovetop baking: Always use deep pan with nonstick features. Cast iron pan is also good for baking. Never use steel, aluminum, copper and titanium.
- Don't forget to preheat the pan: Always preheat the pan before placing cake mixture mould in pan. The rule is same like oven baking will help to rise the cake.
- Monitor the temperature of pan: Initially keep the heat on high side, after placing the cake mold in pan, after 2 to 3 minutes turn it to medium and after 15 minutes turn it to low side to properly bake the cake on steam.
- Tip for Fluffy Cake: Add water in pan will help to develop the steam in pan that will make the cake moist, juicy and steamy.
- Avoid direct heat: Placing the stand to maintain the height between pan bottom and cake pan will help to thoroughly cook the cake from all sides.
- Whenever you make this cake then use fresh orange juice to make it tastier and scrumptious.
- Use the proper quantity of ingredients to make a perfectly moist cake.
- When you add orange zest then make sure to peel the upper skin of an orange. Avoid the white part of orange skin as it's bitter in taste.
- Use the adequate quantity of orange juice in the cake. Make sure the cake mixture is semi-thick, smooth and non-lumpy.
Q & A
Yes, you can easily bake the cake without oven on stovetop or in a pan using gas or electric stove. Make the cake mixture, pour it in a cake mold and put in pan by placing the stand in between the pan and cake mold. Cover the lid and bake it for 30 minutes. Check the video and recipe method in this recipe to make cake without oven.
It will take 30 to 35 minutes to bake the cake on stovetop.
Oven cakes are spongy and fluffy while the stovetop cakes are not only spongy, and fluffy but comes out with moist texture. You can easily make steamy cakes on stovetop with great results.
Store the leftover cake in airtight glass container for 01 week in refrigerator. Before serving, take it out microwave it for 1 minute to make it moist and spongy like a fresh cake and serve tea or coffee.
More Cake & Cookies
Stovetop Cake Recipe (Orange Pound Cake)
- cake pan
- ½ cup Fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 pinch Yellow Food Color Optional
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
Preparation of Cake Mixture
- In a bowl, add powdered sugar and egg. Beat it well until it gets fluffy
- Now add baking powder, baking soda, vanilla essence and oil.
- Also, add orange juice.
- Mix well using a whisk.
- Now sift the all-purpose flour and add in cake mixture.
- Fold the mixture using the whisk in one direction (clockwise).
- Now add orange zest and mix again.
- Grease the cake pan and place butter paper.
- Pour the cake mixture in cake pan.
Cake Baking Setup on Stovetop
- Preheat the big pan on the stovetop on high heat.
- Place any stand to maintain the height from the bottom
- Place the cake pan in the middle of the pan over the stand.
- Now cover the pan.
- Initially keep the temperature high for 5 minutes then turn to low – medium for 30 minutes.
Alternative: To Bake in Oven
- Preheat the oven and bake the cake on 180 degrees or Gas mark 4 for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Finalize The Cake
- After 30 minutes, check the cake using a knife or skewer. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready.
- Take it out and cool it down before serving.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top to make it more tempting and scrumptious.
- Cut it into slices and serve with coffee or karak chai.
Stovetop Marble Cake Recipe