Chocolate Depression Cake is an amazing recipe that will keep you out from depression and stress as it's super easy to make using home ingredients. It's eggless! no milk and butter used in this recipe. Anyone can try this recipe and it will surely come out with the best result.
Why is it called Depression cake? because it can be prepared using fewer ingredients like no butter, milk, and egg. So during the lockdown, you can make this amazing cake for your family. Alternatively, you can also call it Wacky cake or Crazy Cake as it's famous for it due to limited ingredients supply.
My Experience to Try this Cake: First time I tried this in lockdown at midnight! my son got up and asked for the cake as he was craving for it. So I was not sure to make the cake in the mid of the night and also don't have the cookies or ready-made cakes in stock. I give it a try and believe me it was ready within 30 minutes. Nobody can guess the cake while eating as it's made without butter, egg, and milk. It's the great depression cake that made me relax.
How to Make This Cake?
The making of cake is super easy and quick as you just need handful ingredients in a bowl and whisk to make cake mixture. To make this cake you can only use your whisk or simply a fork to assemble the ingredients.
All Purpose Flour:
Cocoa Powder: Used to add signature chocolate flavor in the cake.
Powder Sugar: Better than granulated as it mixed well with other ingredients.
Salt: Enhance the cake sweetness.
Baking Soda (Soda bicarbonate): Work as a catalyst to accelerate the baking process.
Vanilla Extract: Add aroma and taste in cake.
Vegetable Oil: Used for lubrication.
Fresh Lemon Juice: Enhance the flavor of the cake.
In a bowl, sieve all purpose flour and cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Also, add powder sugar and mix well to blend all ingredients. Now gradually add water and make a thick paste. Add vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and freshly squeezed lemon juice and give it a good mix using a whisk. Make sure to make one direction of whish while folding the cake mixture.
In the meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180°C or 356°F. Set the baking pan by placing parchment pepper and grease it properly on the bottom and sides. Pour the cake mixture into a baking pan and place it in the oven for 30 minutes to bake.
As the cake was baking, I made the chocolate frosting. In a heating pan, add water and dissolve powder sugar. Also add cocoa powder and mix well. Drop vanilla extract and lemon juice. Give it a good mix by adding vegetable oil. As it get thick then keep it on side and let it cool down.
Take out the cake from oven and cool it down. Remove parchment paper and topped with chocolate frosting. Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour. Slice it and the great depression cake is ready to serve!!
How it Would be Taste Like?
Many people will be thinking, how it would taste like? if it's not made with egg, milk, and butter. So, guys, here I am witnessed as it's absolutely amazing in taste. Super moist and fluffy in texture. Chocolate frosting made it perfect to have with black coffee. I call it anti-depression cake! The chewy and moist bite is perfect for chocolate cake lovers.
Idea to Serve the Cake
There are many ways to serve the cake. Here I made a chocolate frosting to make the cake more chewy and moist. Here are some more options to add more value to the greatest depression cake.
You can simply add Nutella with frosting as many people love it. Sprinkling Icing sugar at the top of frosting can make it more tempting. In the same way, you can use desiccated coconut at the topping. I personally like this cake without chocolate frosting and simply have the sponge cake with chocolate ice cream. It will give you amazing taste.
7 Pro Tips to Make the Best
As this cake does not have many ingredients that can add taste to the cake but here are few quick tips that you can follow to get the best taste of this cake and you will love it.
1) Never forget to sieve the flour and cocoa powder as it will help to release the air in flour and will give a smooth pattern while cooking.
2) Don't add cocoa powder in high quantity otherwise it will be too strong to eat.
3) You can add baking soda by combining baking powder to neutralize the flavor.
4) In the place of lemon juice, you can also use vinegar.
5) You can simply whisk the cake mixture in a clock or anti-clockwise direction.
6) Chocolate frosting is optional, you can simply have the sponge cake.
7) Don't bake the cake for too long as it will be prepared within 20 to 25 minutes.
Yes, it's wacky! to make this crazy cake without egg, butter, and milk. But it's super easy and anyone can try. If you are a beginner and don't want to mess your ingredients then try this recipe as it will give you the confidence to make the perfect cake.Hinz Cooking
Will Cake Rise Without Egg?
Yes, it will not only rise it give you perfect and smooth texture like cake and you will not make a difference while eating. Baking soda will help to rise the cake. You can also use baking powder but believe me baking soda will work as catalyst to accelerate the rising and puffing process of cake.
Recipe Video - How Did I Make It?
I am so happy to share this juicy chicken breast recipe with you all as it's super tasty and extremely delicious. Here is the step-by-step process that I captured while cooking. If you are going to make this then watch the recipe tutorial to follow the quick steps.
Chocolate Depression Cake (Eggless, No Milk, No Butter)
- Cake Pan 8"
- Parchment Peper
- All purpose Flour - 1.5 Cups
- Cocoa Powder - ½ Cup
- Baking Soda - 1 Tsp
- Salt - ¼ Tsp
- Water - 1 Cup
- Vanila Extract - 1 Tsp
- Fresh lemon juice - 2 Tsp
- Vegetable Oil - ⅓ Cup
- Preparation of Chocolate Frosting:
- Water - 1 Glass
- Powder sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Cocoa Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Vegetable oil - 1 Tsp
- Vanilla Extract - ⅓ Tsp
- Lemon juice - ⅓ Tsp
- In a bowl, sieve all purpose flour and cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Also, add powder sugar and mix well to blend all ingredients.
- Now gradually add water and make a thick paste.
- Add vanilla extract, vegetable oil, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Give it a good mix using a whisk.
- Make sure to whisk in one direction while folding the cake mixture.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C or 356°F.
- Set the baking pan by placing parchment pepper and grease it properly on the bottom and sides.
- Pour the cake mixture into a baking pan and place it in the oven for 30 minutes to bake.
- Preparation of Chocolate Frosting:
- In a heating pan, add water and dissolve powder sugar.
- Also add cocoa powder and mix well.
- Drop vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Give it a good mix by adding vegetable oil.
- As it get thick then keep it on side and let it cool down.
- Take out the cake from oven and cool it down.
- Remove parchment paper and topped with chocolate frosting.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Slice it and enjoy this crazy chocolate depression cake.
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking