Moong dal kachori with chutney is one of the most popular Pakistani and Indian snack that you can find in every street food. Spicy moong dal stuffed in flaky golden fried khasta kachori makes a perfect combination for desi taste buds. It's an Eid special kachori and I always love to make it every other day during Ramadan iftar.
About This Recipe
Kachori is basically a form of bread prepared like a puri and deep fried with a spicy stuffing of lentils or veg. The recipe has been created by Marwaris who used to make all purpose flour dough and then roll it to form a flatbread then stuffed the bread with sauteed lentils. Deep fried to get khasta and flaky kachori that secretly melts in mouth.
As Ramadan is approaching so you can prepare this special recipe for Iftar and don't forget to make it on Eid day as it's super recommended and people love to have it in Ramadan. Most of the famous bakeries in Pakistan prepare special Eid wali Kachori as people love to have it and share it with family and friends.
- When twist the kachori after putting the stuffing then remove the extra part of dough as sometimes it remains raw during frying.
- Don't over stuff the kachori as it may break during frying.
- Make a semi soft dough as make khasta or flaky crust of kachori.
- It's important to rest the dough for half an hour as it provide best result after frying.
- Don't use baking powder or soda while making dough as it will make the dough like a cake.
- Always fry kachori on medium to low heat so it can fry from inside.
- The thickness of kachori is important. It should not be thick or thin. Otherwise the kachori may break or become hard. Thick kachori remains uncooked from inside.
How to Make
Preparation of Kachori Dough: In a bowl, add all purpose flour (Maida), salt, and oil. Crumble the flour with your hand. Now gradually add water and make a soft and smooth dough. Knead the dough until it becomes dry and doesn't stick to the hand. Cover the dough and keep a warm place for ½ an hour to get settled.
Soak the Moong Dal: Soak the dal in water for about 2 hours or until it shows the soft grain. Now coarsely grind the dal using grinder.
Preparation of Moong Dal Stuffing: In a pan, pour oil and heat it up. Now add cumin seeds and let it pop for few seconds. Add grated ginger, and spiced with red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt, fennel seeds, coriander seeds. Saute all the ingredients on low heat. Next, add gram flour (besan) and mix well. Saute for a few minutes until the ingredients start to release the aroma. Then add Moong dal paste and mix well with all ingredients. Saute for few minutes until the dal gets dry. As the dal get dry it will be ready to stuff. In the meanwhile cool it down and prepare kachori.
Preparation of Kachori: After ½ an hour of dough setting, knead the dough and distribute it into small portions. Roll the dough using hand and make a small roti like puri. Place moong dal stuffing in middle. Now wrap the kachori by twisting the edges. Remove the extra part of the dough while twisting. (Watch the video to quickly follow the steps). Flaten the kachori through hand or rolling pin and give a perfectly flat shape. Repeat the same steps to prepare all kachoris.
Deep Frying: In a frying pan, pour oil for deep frying and preheat the oil before adding kachori. Make sure the oil temperature should be on medium heat. Now add kachori and don't overcrowd otherwise the temperature management will disturb. Initially fry on medium heat then turn the heat to low to cook kachori from inside. In this way, the kachori will be flaky and crispy in texture. As the kachori turns to golden brown color, take it out and serve hot.
Air Fryer Kachori
You can easily fry the kachori in air fryer. First, preheat the fryer before 5 minutes at 220°C or 428°F. Place parchment paper on air fryer basket and brush oil to make a greasy layer. Now place the kachori according to the size of air fryer with some distance. Generously brush oil on all kachori and close the basket for 10 to 15 minutes to fry from one side. Flip the kachori after 10 minutes and fry again for 10 minutes.
How to Store & Freeze
Fried kachori can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave to eat again. After heating in the microwave, it will be a little soggy so keep it on a preheated skillet for few minutes to make it crispy.
In the same way, you can store the nonfried kachori in the freezer for 15 to 20 days. When you need to fry, take it out and microwave for 2 minutes, and deep fry accordingly.
At Hinz Cooking, you can also check other T Time Snacks recipes. We prepare a variety of foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner so if you have any suggestion to prepare food based on your interest you can also share with us in a comment section or join us on Facebook to be an interactive part of Hinz cooking food community.
Moong Dal Kachori
- Kachori Dough Ingredients
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee
- water To knead the dough
- Stuffing Ingredients
- ½ cup Moong Dal – ½ Cup
- Water To Soak Moong Dal
- 2 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Coriander Seeds
- Salt – ⅓ Tsp
- ½ tbsp Gram Flour Besan
- ½ cup Moong Dal Paste – ½ Cup
- Oil for deep frying
- Prepare Kachori Dough
- In a bowl, add all purpose flour (Maida), salt, oil and crumble all the ingredients.
- Gradually add water to make a soft dough.
- Knead for a few minutes to get a good result.
- Cover the dough and rest for ½ an hour.
- Soak Moong Dal:
- In a bowl, add moong dal and wash it properly. Add half filled water in bowl and soak the daal for 2 hours.
- Grind The Daal
- After 2 hours of soaking, coarsely grind the moong dal using grinder.
- Moong Dal Cooking:
- In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Now add cumin seeds and pop it up.
- Add grated ginger, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and saute on low heat.
- Next, add gram flour (besan) and mix well with all ingredients.
- Saute for few minutes until it gets aromatic.
- Now add Moong dal paste and mix well with all ingredients.
- Saute for few minutes until the dal get dry.
- As the dal get dry it will be ready to stuff.
- Prepare Kachori:
- After ½ an hour, distribute dough into small portion.
- Roll the dough through the hand.
- Now make a small roti like puri.
- Place moong dal stuffing in middle.
- Now wrap the kachori by twisting the edges. Watch video steps to quickly follow.
- Flat it through hand and roll with rolling pin to give a perfect flat shape.
- Prepare all Kachori by repeating the step.
- Deep Fry Kachori
- Place kachori in deep frying oil.
- Initially, keep the medium-high temperature.
- Fry for few minutes to get golden brown color from both side.
- Take it out on kitchen paper.
- For khasta karari and light karchori, use oil in place of ghee.
- Don't overstuff the kachori.
- Never fry at extra high temperature. Manage temperature to fry on the medium heat to get crispy karara texture.