Chapati Roll or Roti Roll is a quick & easy lunch box idea that you can eat while on move. Are you starving? and looking forward to prepare something quick and delicious then this recipe is for you! It's an Indian style homemade frankie chapathi roll or you can simply call it roti roll best for lunch, dinner, and also a great idea for tiffin.
What is Chapati Roll?
Whenever I am in a hurry, I used my chapati and make these rolls with different stuffing. Here I prepared vegetable and chicken stuffed chapati roll with yogurt dressing. It's a healthy idea to prepare these types of rolls. You can add variations to make this recipe as per your taste, desire, and availability. Simply make it with chicken, only with vegetables, or with potatoes, kebabs, and eggs.
Chapati Vs. Roti
It's an Indian flat bread prepared with wheat flour. It's famous as roti, chapati (chapathi), or phulka in India and Pakistan. Chapati is basically a type of roti so we all used these interchangeable names. If you don't have chapati or roti then you can also use a tortilla or pita bread to make the same rolls.
Chapati roll is so easy to make and more than easy to eat. It's a fast-food type of recipe easy to prepare in the home kitchen. I normally prepare rolls for lunch boxes and sometimes with evening tea. It feels you full for a long time.
In South Asia, especially Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh roti or chapati is the main source of eating with curry and gravy so every house makes some extra roti that you can use to make these rolls.
- Preparation of Stuffing:
- Oil - 3 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds - ⅓ Tsp
- Green chilies - 2 (Chopped)
- Grated Garlic - 1 Clove
- Tomatoes (Chopped) - ½ Cup
- Salt - ½ Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - ⅓ Tsp
- Onion (Chopped) - ½ Cup
- Boiled Chicken (Chopped) - ½ Cup
- Black Pepper - ⅓ Tsp
- Wheat Flour Dough
- Preparation of Yogurt Dressing:
- Yogurt - ½ Cup
- Salt - ⅓ Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - ½ Tsp
- Cucumber - 1 (Chopped)
How to Make Chapati Roll
Preparation of Stuffing
In a pan, add oil and heat it up. Pop up cumin seeds, grated garlic, and green chilies for few seconds. Now add chopped tomatoes and cook well for a minute on medium heat. Add chopped onions and boiled chicken and cook well. Season with salt and black pepper. Give it a good mix and keep it on the side to cool down.
Preparation of Soft Chapati (Roti)
Make a soft wheat flour dough and rest it for at least ½ an hour (minimum time) to get settled. Roll the dough with the help of rolling pin and make a big roti. Place it on hot skillet/griddle (tawa) and cook from both sides.
Prepare Yogurt Sauce
To prepare yogurt sauce, take yogurt in a bowl and add salt and red chili powder. Mix well to form a thick sauce.
Chop cucumbers as it will add value in taste. You can add more veggies as per your taste.
Assembling (How to fold Chapati)
Take a chapati and place a generous amount of yogurt sauce on it. Distribute the sauce through the spoon evenly. Now place chicken and veg stuffing in the middle. Add fresh cucumber over it.
Wrap the chapati to form a roll. (watch the video for a better understanding)
Now toast on tawa or grill to perfectly secure the roll.
Wrap with aluminum foil or parchment paper and serve.
"Chapati Roll" is ready!!
Happy cooking and happy eating!!
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Chapati Roll Video
So let's start making this simple and delicious 'Chapati roll' recipe for lunch box. Watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
- To make a perfect chapati roll, it is recommended to make soft chapati using wheat flour. If the dough is perfectly kneaded then you can prepare soft chapati to make these rolls.
- Avoid watery sauce placed on chapati otherwise, it will be soggy and break.
- Once you make a roll then toast it from all sides to secure the roll for a long time.
- Make sure the chapati roll should not overtoasted otherwise the roti will get hard and it will break.
- If you are making for lunch box then fully wrap it with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Lunch Box Serving
It's a simple, quick, and easy recipe that you can prepare for the lunch box.
Serving for Kids: If you are going to prepare a lunch box for kids then simply make these rolls and cut them into small pieces so it will be easy for the kids to have. Don't forget to place aluminum lining at the bottom of the lunch box as it may become watery after getting packed. Never cover the rolls if it's hot otherwise it will become soggy and kids will not like it.
Serving for Adults: If you are making a lunch box for the office then simply cut it into halves and wrap it with butter paper for easy eating. The addition of french fries, coleslaw, kabab, or any other snacks can make a complete platter.
- Chapati Roll with Potatoes: Mashed potatoes with green chutney can be used to prepare these rolls in the same way.
- Veg Chapati Roll: Roasted carrots, cauliflower, baingan bharta, spinach can be used to make veg stuffing. It will be healthy and nutritious.
- Egg Rolls: Make an omelette and wrap in rolls with the topping of your favorite sauce can make a delicious chapati roll for breakfast.
- Chicken Rolls: This recipe has be been prepared with chicken so you can follow but your can also use leftover chicken tikka, and roasted chicken to make quick rolls.
- Cheese Rolls: Cottage cheese can be used to make roll stuffing. Add chopped onion, tiny carrots, capsicum, salt, paprika, black pepper, and chopped cilantro in cottage cheese and make stuffing. It will be so tasty and kids will surely like it. I personally make it for my son.
You Might Also Like
Chapati Roll Recipe (Roti Roll)
- Stuffing Ingredients
- Oil – 3 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ⅓ Tsp
- Green chilies – 2 Chopped
- Grated Garlic – 1 Clove
- Tomatoes Chopped – ½ Cup
- Salt – ½ Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ⅓ Tsp
- Onion Chopped – ½ Cup
- Boiled Chicken Chopped – ½ Cup
- Black Pepper – ⅓ Tsp
- Wheat Flour Dough
- Ingredients of Yogurt Dressing:
- Yogurt – ½ Cup
- Salt – ⅓ Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ Tsp
- Cucumber – 1 Chopped
- Preparation of Stuffing: In a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Now add cumin seeds and let it pop for few seconds
- Also, add green chilies and grated garlic.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook well.
- Add chopped onion and boiled chicken and cook well.
- Sprinkle black pepper and mix well.
- Keep the stuffing on the side to cool down.
- Preparation of Soft Chapati: Make a wheat flour dough and rest it for at least ½ an hour.
- Now make roti to prepare rolls.
- Prepare Yogurt Sauce: To prepare yogurt sauce, take yogurt in a bowl and add salt and red chili powder. Mix well to form a thick sauce.
- Chop Cucumber.
- Assembling: Take a chapati and place a generous amount of yogurt sauce on it. Distribute the sauce through spoon evenly.
- Now place chicken and veg stuffing in the middle.
- Add fresh cucumber over it.
- Wrap the chapati to form a roll.
- Now toast on tawa or grill to perfectly secure the roll.
- Wrap with aluminum foil or parchment paper and serve.
- Chapati roll can be prepared with leftover chapati but make sure it should be soft and chewy.
- Make sure the chapati should not be too old if you are using leftover otherwise it will break.
- Wheatflour chapati is good to make rolls.
- You can stuff with chicken, potatoes, veggies, and fish as per your choice.
- Make sure to perfect make the roll and sealed properly.
- Always toast the chapati rolls after roll making as it will help to make it tasty.
- Butter brushing can be applied for toasting.
- If you are making for a lunch box then fully wrap with aluminum foil or parchment paper.