Easy stovetop pizza recipe without yeast that anybody can quickly make at home within 30 minutes. Prepared with minimal ingredients and the result is phenomenal! Here I am making pizza without oven in a skillet pan that is easy and simple and gives a perfect puffy, roasted and cheesy taste. Let's make it!
I feel comfortable to make quick pizza in a skillet pan (tawa) on stove top with homemade pizza dough without yeast.
When I opted to make pizza without yeast then I tried both method to cook pizza in oven and without oven on stovetop. You know the pizza on stovetop option was winner as it has great taste and the pizza crust perfectly cooked in a skillet pan taking benefit of using different variations of heat on stovetop.
What is Stovetop Pizza?
It's an easy and convenient way to make quick pizza on stovetop without yeast. As there is no yeast so you don't need to wait for hours to make it. Knead the dough give 30 to 40 minutes to rest and make your pizza on pan/skillet/tawa using you favorite toppings.
Pizza on stovetop using skillet or pan is popular in downtowns of South Asian region. Basically, it's classical or you can say the old-style pizza making where people used to do it in tandoor. Here we will use tawa (skillet/pan) to make this pizza. It has great taste and people are so obsessed with this recipe because their taste buds are used to of Tawa pizza flavor.
First, we will prepare homemade pizza dough without yeast. Yes, without yeast! so if you don't eat pizza just because of yeast or bloating issues then it might be a recipe for you. Here I prepared, chicken tikka topping but you can vary the topping as per your taste and interest. Like you can make veg pizza or some other options that you like.
Why Do I Love This Recipe
- To be very honest, this is simple, easy and quick and always give me leverage to use my leftover as pizza topping.
- The pizza dough without yeast is multi functional as you can use it to make pizza, naan, or snacks.
- Don't need to wait for long hours to ferment the dough.
- Prepare without yeast so good to have it if you are experiencing yeasty issues.
- At the same time, you can also use the pizza dough with yeast to make the same recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pizza Dough Ingredients Without Yeast
All-purpose Flour (Maida) - 1.5 Cups
Oil - 1 Tbsp
salt - 1 Tsp
Baking Soda - 2 pinches
Baking Powder - ⅓ Tsp
Milk - 1 Tbsp
Yogurt - 2 Tsp
Water - As required to make the dough
Yogurt - 1 Tbsp
Chicken Tikka Masala - 1 Tsp
Red Chilli Powder - ½ Tsp
Boiled Chicken - ½ Breast pieces
Salt - To Taste
Oil - 3 Tsp
Garlic - 1 Tsp
Onion - Square Cut
Green Chilli - Julienne cut
Oregano - ⅓ Tsp
Grated Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Stovetop Pizza
Step 1: Preparation of Pizza Dough
In a bowl, add all purpose flour (Maida), salt, oil, baking soda, baking powder, milk, and yogurt. Mix all the ingredients together. Gradually add water to make a soft dough. Cover and rest the dough for 45 minutes to get set.
Step 2: Prepare Pizza Topping
In a bowl, add yogurt, salt, chicken tikka masala, and red chili powder and mix well. Add boiled chicken breast pieces and marinate for few minutes. In a pan, add oil and saute grated garlic. As the garlic started changes color, add marinated chicken and saute on high heat. Once the chicken started getting dry, add onion pieces.
Step 3: Toast The Pizza Crust
Now Roll the dough in a form of flat bread (roti) and place it on preheat skillet (Tawa). Slightly toast the dough on low heat. As the dough shows marks from both sides then take it out to add toppings.
Step 4: Add Topping
First, brush pizza sauce. (I am using store-bought pizza sauce). Then place chicken pieces on different places of pizza. In the same way, place onion pieces. Place a good amount of grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle oregano. Also, add some green chili slices to make it spicy but this is optional and depending on taste.
Step 5: Stovetop Pizza Cooking
Now carefully place the pizza in preheated skillet/tawa on medium heat. Cover for 10 minutes to make it steamy with melted cheese.
After 5 minutes, take it out and cut into slices and serve!
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. If you make this recipe at home then share a picture with the hashtag #hinzcooking
Stovetop Pizza Video
Expert Tips For Pizza Without Oven
- Avoid to make thick crust of pizza to cook on stovetop.
- Baking powder and baking sode will help to puff the dough in the same way as we make homemade naan on skillet/tawa.
- Slightly toast the crust from both sides before adding pizza toppings. Topping side should be more toasted as compared to base of pizza as it will cover with topping so will not get toast.
- Cook the pizza on low heat and cover with lid to make it steamy.
- Serve hot right after cooking.
- Use the leftover chicken tikka pieces, sausages, veggies, pepperoni, or other things for topping.
How to Reheat Pizza on Stovetop
Store the leftover pizza in an airtight container. I prefer to fold in foil then place it in the refrigerator that lasts for 4 days.
You can also store the pizza dough in airtight container and keep it in fridge for 3 days.
Use microwave to reheat or simply use the nonstick skillet pan. To reheat on skillet, preheat the skillet/tawa first then add a splash of water on skillet base and place the pizza. Cover for 5 minutes on low heat. After 5 minutes, serve!
More Recipes with Pizza Dough:
Q & A
Yes, you can easily cook pizza in frying pan. Make sure to use the same size of pizza according to skillet pan size. If the pizza is big and pan is small then the result may affect.
Yes, you can cook the frozen pizza on the stovetop! If you have store-bought pizza then bring it to room temperature first. Place in a heated skillet/frying pan and carefully monitor the temperature from medium to low. First 2 minutes, keep the heat on the medium side then turn it to low and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure to securely cover it with lid to make it steamy. After 10 minutes, as the pizza becomes steamy and then cook it on high heat for 2 minutes to make the crust crispy from the bottom.
It's a common complain that stovetop pizza has soggy crust. A simple hack can help to get rid with this problem. In last moment, after removing the lid cook the pizza on medium for a minute. In this way the crust will get crispy. Be vigilant as over heating can burn it.
Yes, you can use the grilled pan. Make sure, you have a proper lid to cover it. Otherwise use the foil to cover while cooking to make it steamy.
Heat management is the vital science to cooking stovetop pizza as you need to play with different variations of heat to make it perfectly cooked, evenly melted cheese, and to get the crispy and chewy crust.
I prefer to toast the dough first from both sides on medium heat to avoid the rawness issue. Then add topping, place on preheated pan, and cover with lid to make it steamy at low heat. After 10 minutes, the dough cooked properly and cheese melted on top then remove the lid and cook the pizza base on medium heat to make it crispy.
More Stovetop and Pizza Recipes
Stovetop Pizza Recipe
- 1.5 cups All-purpose Flour Maida – 1.5 Cups
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 pinches Baking Soda
- ⅓ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 2 teaspoon Yogurt
- Water As required to make the dough
- Preparation of Pizza Topping
- Yoghurt – 1 Tbsp
- Chicke Tikka Masala – 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ Tsp
- 2 tablespoon Boiled Chicken ½ breast pieces (leftover chicken)
- ⅓ teaspoon Salt To taste
- 3 teaspoon Oil – 3 Tsp
- 1 teaspoon Garlic – 1 Tsp
- Onion – Square Cut
- Green Chili (optional) julienne cut
- ⅓ teaspoon Oregano – ⅓ Tsp
- 2 tablespoon Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese Grated/shredded
Stovetop Pizza Dough
- In a bowl, add all-purpose flour (Maida), salt, oil, baking soda, baking powder, milk, and yogurt.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Gradually add water to make a soft dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for 45 minutes to get set.
- In the meanwhile, prepare pizza topping.
- In a bowl, add yogurt, salt, chicken tikka masala, and red chili powder. Give it a good mix to combine all ingredients.
- Add boiled chicken breast pieces and marinate for few minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil and sauté grated garlic.
- As the garlic starts to change color, add marinated chicken and sauté on high heat.
- Once the chicken starts getting dry, add onion pieces.
- Mix well! and keep on a side to move on next step.
Roll the Pizza Dough
- Now Roll the dough in the form of round flatbread. Take help with white flour if the dough is sticky but don't use too much as the pizza will get hard.
Cooking Pizza on Stovetop
- Preheat the skillet pan to the stove top.
- Place the pizza dough on a skillet pan. Make sure the heat is low. Slight toast it from both sides.
- As the dough shows marks from both sides take it out and start to place the chicken topping.
- First, brush pizza sauce. (I am using store-bought pizza sauce).
- Then place the chicken topping and evenly distribute it in all places.
- In the same way, place onion pieces.
- Topped with grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle oregano.
- Also, place some green chili slices to make it spicy. (This is optional)
- Now carefully place the pizza in a preheated skillet on medium heat.
- Cover for 5 minutes or as it gets steamy and cheese get melt.
- Now, after 5 minutes, take it out.
- Cut into slices and serve!
Baking powder and baking sode will help to puff the dough in the same way as we make homemade naan on skillet/tawa.
Slightly toast the crust from both sides before adding pizza toppings. Topping side should be more toasted as compared to base of pizza as it will cover with topping so will not get toast.
Cook the pizza on low heat and cover with lid to make it steamy.
Serve right after cooking.