The chicken kali mirch recipe dhaba style is the most popular Pakistani/Indian Murgh curry prepared with the flavor of black pepper. Let's make it for the next dinner.
Kali Mirch chicken is also known as black pepper chicken curry that takes an special placement in Indian and Pakistani cuisine. Chicken cooked with special black pepper flavor makes it so delicious and spread a delectable aroma to pull the crown. You can easily find in nearby restaurants. If you are in love with chicken gravy/curry then must try this recipe and I believe it will give true pleasure due to its unique taste, flavor, and aroma.
Kali Mirch has a specific tangy flavor and tempting aroma in spices so making chicken gravy with kali mirch or black pepper is the best idea to create the perfect curry for dinner or lunch. In Indian cuisine, black pepper is the most used spice that people use to make different recipes. Here I made this chicken kali mirch and served with roti and tandoori naan that makes a perfect combination.
Chicken Kali Mirch Recipe
What is Kali Mirch Chicken? It's an Indian inspired black pepper chicken gravy cooked with bone in chicken, yogurt, and kali mirch. If you are looking at how to make it step by step using kali mirch as the main ingredients then watch the recipe tutorial. This recipe is also famous as murgh kali mirch and most people seek it with the kali mirch chicken recipe in Hindi or Urdu.
In the Sub continent, people love to eat curry with gravy. So I tried to make this murgh kali mirch in a gravy style so it would be easy for you to eat with roti or naan. My family loves this recipe especially my son who loves to eat chicken curry with a different combination. After chicken korma, he likes gravy-style black pepper chicken and asks me to make it for him. If you have kids at home. I am sure they will also like it.
Why Does This Recipe Works?
I love to make curry at dinner or lunch so I always make different variations. Sometimes I make kali mirch korma, or simple curry with kali mirch loaded with thick gravy and also tried in dry form. Kali Mirch Tikka is one of the best dinner ideas if you like. I tried it and will share it with you shortly.
You know, what really compels me to make chicken kali mirch. First is the aroma, once you make it at home you will not only love the flavor but also love the aroma that fills your house and makes you hungry to eat it.
You can try this recipe on family get together, dawat, home parties and festive events. I hope the recipe will add value to your dining and will give a unique taste to your family and guest.
Chicken - 600 gms | Oil - 1 tablespoon | Ginger Garlic (Grated) - 1 teaspoon | Salt - ½ teaspoon | Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon | Yogurt - 1 Cup | Chopped Onion - ½ Cup | Whole Garam Masala: Cumin seed (1 Tsp), Black pepper (10), Clove (4), Cinnamon stick (3 inches), Green Cardamom (6) | Garam Masala Powder - 1 teaspoon | Fresh Cream - 1 tablespoon | Julianne Ginger & Fresh Coriander for Garnishing.
How to Make Kali Mirch Chicken
In a bowl, marinate chicken with salt, black pepper, ginger garlic, and yogurt. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes (Minimum). Now in a pan, add oil and heat it up. Add whole garam masala. Cumin seed (1 Tsp), Black pepper (10), Clove (4), Cinnamon stick (3 inches), Green Cardamom (6).
As the garam masala started popping up then add chopped onion in the pan and saute for few minutes until it changes its color to pink. Now add chicken marination and cook on high heat until chicken changes the color. As the chicken changes color and forms a gravy then add garam masala powder and mix well. Add a glass of water and cover. Cook chicken for 25 minutes on low medium heat.
After 25 minutes, add fresh cream and mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Now chicken is ready to serve! Garnish with Julianne ginger and fresh coriander. Enjoy and have a lovely eating time!
Share this recipe with your family and friends. It would be great if you leave your feedback in the comment box. You can also share your suggestions. If you make this delicious 'chicken kali mirch' at home then share a picture with us on Facebook 🙂
Kali Mirch Chicken Dhaba Style [Video]
Let's start making this spicy Black pepper chicken curry recipe step by step in an easy way. Watch the recipe video so it will be easy for beginners to follow the quick steps.
- Marination of chicken in kali mirch powder helps to penetrate the flavor in chicken that make it more tasty and delicious.
- Avoid any other mirch powder if you are using kali mirch as a primary pepper otherwise, the taste will be lost. You may add green pepper if you like.
- Once you add marinated chicken in oil then cook on high heat so the chicken will be more juicy and tender from inside.
- A combination of black pepper / Kali mirch with Julianne ginger makes it more delicious and tasty.
- If you want to skip cream in this recipe then you can. The addition of cream in gravy makes it more tasty and delicious but if you are on diet or want to avoid then you can skip as per your interest and taste.
SEE ALSO: Peppercorn Sauce for Steak
Black pepper chicken can be served with Naan, Garlic Naan, Roti or Paratha. You can also serve steamed rice, tadka rice or my special garlic butter rice. In salads, you can serve simple veg salad, macaroni salad, chickpea salad or rajma salad.
Q & A
Serve this delicious and aromatic chicken kali mirch with roti and tandoori naan that makes a perfect combination. Many people like it with steam or jeera rice but I personally like it with naan or kulcha. If you are serving lunch then try with paratha.
You can also add a fresh green salad or thick yogurt raita along with this. I make green raita and simply serve with naan bread or homemade roti/chappati.
Yes, it's good for health as it's cooked with chicken that is a great source of protein. Yogurt is also good for health as it contains essential vitamins and minerals that helps to improve your digestive health. Black pepper / Kali mirch itself packed with piperine with antioxidant and inflammatory properties. It improves blood sugar control, also helps to manage cholesterol levels.
Yes, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week. I personally suggest consuming it before 1 week. Once you pack in an airtight container make sure to release heat (room temperature) before pack.
You Might Like This
Chicken Kali Mirch Recipe (Murgh Kali Mirch)
- 600 g Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Grated
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Yogurt
- ½ cup Chopped Onion
- Whole Garam Masala:
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 10 Black pepper
- 4 Cloves
- 3 inches Cinnamon stick
- 6 Green Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Cream
- Julianne Ginger & Fresh Coriander for Garnishing.
- In a bowl, marinate chicken with salt, black pepper, ginger garlic, and yogurt.
- Cover and marinate for 30 minutes (Minimum).
- Now in a pan, add oil and heat it up.
- Add whole garam masala. Cumin seed (1 Tsp), Black pepper (10), Clove (4), Cinnamon stick (3 inches), Green Cardamom (6).
- As the garam masala started popping up then add chopped onion in the pan and saute for few minutes until it changes its color to pink.
- Now add chicken marination and cook on high heat until chicken changes the color.
- As the chicken changes color and forms a gravy then add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add a glass of water and cover.
- Cook chicken for 25 minutes on low medium heat.
- Now after 25 minutes, add fresh cream and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Marinate chicken in black pepper makes it so tasty as black pepper flavor penetrates in chicken.
- In black pepper chicken, avoid using any other pepper otherwise the taste will compromise. You can only add green pepper!
- Black pepper flavor with ginger makes it so special in taste so used Julianne ginger while serving.
- Always cook chicken on high heat to make it more tasty and juicy.
- The addition of cream in gravy makes it more tasty and delicious but if you are on diet or want to avoid then you can skip as per your interest and taste.