Simple and easy most popular Pakistani and Indian Kala Chana Chaat recipe. It's a black chickpea salad stir fry with Indian spices and herbs.
If you are looking forward to have healthy vegan and gluten-free lunch packed with protein then kala chana chaat or black chickpea salad has no competitor.
About Kala Chana Chaat
You must have listen the Bengal gram which is Indian Kala chana or black chickpea. People from Indian and Pakistan love to make chickpea recipes both with white and black option. Here is the quickest chaat recipe that I prepared with boiled black chickpeas.
Kala chana is easily available and you can find it at near by Indian grocery store. You can find it in two ways. Organic Roasted Bengal gram (Dhaliya) which is for munching and ready to eat. Black chickpeas need to boil before eating. Don't get confused with chana dal and kala chana both are different.
In Pakistani kala chaat recipe, only cumin is used for stir-frying while in Indian chaat, curry leaves, asafoetida, garlic, and other tempering ingredients are used.
Black chickpeas (Kala Chana) are fully wrapped with healthy vitamins so it's a great idea to add in your daily diet plan. If you are dealing with stubborn body fat and weight issues then add this recipe to your lunch by skipping the oil. It will help you to burn calories and keep you healthy.
General approximations are 100g of dry black chana contains 364kcal.
Black chickpeas are a great source of fiber intake. It also contains antioxidants that helps to control cholesterol level. Best for growing kids due to the high amount of iron.
Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana): Used tender and soft homemade boiled chickpeas. Canned and frozen chickpeas can also be used for this recipe.
Cumin: Used cumin seeds to add roasted, nutty, warm and smoky aroma to chaat.
Seasoning: Salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and chaat masala are used.
Herbs: onions, green chilies, chopped coriander and tomatoes (shrub but listed in herb).
Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice will add more flavor and nutrients and refresh this kala chana salad or chaat.
Oil: Used for stir-frying the chickpeas.
How to Make Kala Chana Chaat
Boil the Black Chickpeas
I come to know that the chickpea is derived from the Latin word Cicer, which is plant family of legumes and you know the legume takes time to cook. So the first step is overnight soaking which makes the grain soft and helps in cooking to get tender.
Properly wash the chickpeas after soaking and add in a pan with water to boil. Season with salt and soda bicarbonate (meetha soda) that help to accelerate the process of tendering. Cook it for an hour on stovetop. It will take 20 minutes In the Instant pot and 30 minutes with pressure cooker on stovetop.
Stir Fry the Kala Chana
In a pan, pour oil (2 Tsp) and heat it up, and pop up the cumin seeds (1 tsp) for few seconds. As it becomes aromatic, season it with salt, red chili powder, and turmeric. Saute for few seconds on low heat. Add boiled chickpeas and stir on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chopped onion, green chilies, and fresh coriander, and give it a quick mix on medium heat.
Sprinkle chaat masala and toss the chaat with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Kala chana chaat is ready to serve
Kala Chana Chaat Video
In a video recipe tutorial, you can follow the direction to prepare this recipe in your home kitchen. I normally make it 3 to 4 times a week for my lunch as it contains a high amount of protein recommended for better sleep pattern and weight loss.
- Make sure the kala chana is properly boiled before making chaat. If it's hard and showing resistance in chewing then boil it for few minutes to make it soft and tender.
- Alternatively, you can use canned and frozen chickpeas to make this recipe.
- Yes, white chickpeas can also be used to make the same recipe.
- You can add veggies and herbs as per your availability and choice.
- Use olive oil for stir frying or any other vegetable oil.
- Small chunks of roasted potaotes will add more taste in this recipe.
- To add more value to this chaat, add a layer of fresh yogurt, green chutney and papdi.
How To Store
Store the leftover chaat in an airtight container for 01 week in the refrigerator. Best to consume before. You can add this healthy recipe to your party menu and make it ahead of time. Skip adding veggies before time and add just before serving. Tomatoes and onions can make it watery and will leave a bad smell.
Here are few ideas that you serve with kala chana chaat. All these recipes pair up well to make a perfect teatime menu.
- Chutney and Sauce: Pair up with Imli ki chutney or hari chutney as it makes the best combination.
- Papdi: Crispy and crunchy homemade papri will add more taste to this recipe.
- Kachori: Pair up with kachori in a chaat platter.
- Tikki: Crispy aloo tikki will add a good taste in chaat platter.
- Dahi bhalla: Whenever I make chickpea chaat, Dahi bhalla completes the chaat platter.
- Samosa: In Pakistani and Indian teatime, chaat with samosa makes a best combination.
- Fruit Chaat: Add this creamy fruit chaat and you will love the idea.
Simple, easy, and tasty recipe for chickpea lovers. Try this in your home kitchen and share your experience and result in our Facebook group of foodies. You can try this recipe with Green Chutney to enhance the flavor. At Hinz cooking, you can find more recipes related to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and teatime. Explore recipe collection to get your desired recipes.
You Might Like This
Kala Chana Chaat (Black Chickpea Salad)
- 2 cups Chickpeas – 600 gms
- 4 cups Water – 4 Cups
- 2 teaspoon Salt – 2 Tsp
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
To Stir Fry
- 1 cup Boiled chickpeas – 1 Cup
- 2 teaspoon Oil – 2 Tsp
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder – 1 Tsp
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder – 1 Pinch
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 Chopped onion small
- 2 green chilis chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh coriander chopped
- 1 teaspoon Freshly squeezed Lemon
To Boil Kala Chana (Skip if you are using boiled chickpeas)
- Soak chickpeas in a deep pan filled with water for 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain water and wash chana before boiling.
- In a pan, add soaked chana (chickpeawith 3 cups of water.
- Also, add salt – 2 Tps and baking powder – 1 Tsp.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- After a 1-hour check water level. Make it dry on high heat.
Stir Fry the Kala Chana Chaat
- In a pan, add oil – 2 teaspoon and heat it up.
- Add cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon and let it pop for few seconds.
- Now add red chili powder and a pinch of turmeric.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Add boiled chickpeas and stir on medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now add chopped onion, green chilies, and fresh coriander and give it quick mix on medium heat.
- Sprinkle chaat masala and pour freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Give it a good mix.
- Kala chana chaat is ready to serve
- Don't overcook the chickpeas.
- Always soak chickpeas 8 hours before or overnight.
- Before boiling makes sure the chana is perfectly soaked. It will be double in size after soaking.
- Don't skip baking soda to get soft and tender boiled chickpeas.
- You can skip oil if you are making this recipe for weight loss.