Loving mughlai cuisine then don't forget to make shahi white chicken korma recipe at your next dinner. Famous as safed murg, incredibly tasty, speedy, and authentic recipe. Prepared with homemade white korma masala by adding nuts paste, and Indian spices that makes a phenomenal taste of grainy (danedar) white gravy.
Korma is the typical Indian and Pakistani meat curry recipe prepared with brown onion (birista) and red curry masala paste. I grew up in Pakistan and my mother always make the korma on special events. Traditionally the red curry korma was the main hitter and everyone love to eat. I remember, it was a crowd puller dish of wedding menu with biryani. With time the variations came up and the season of white gravy creates the new dimension in old fashioned recipe and white chicken korma is one of them.
Indian Mughlai cuisine is full of spices and richness of nuts. Unlike the red korma masala, this recipe is prepared with the combination of translucent fried onions, ginger garlic paste, and nuts paste. As you will proceed to this recipe, you will see there are minimal spices that makes a perfect korma paste with white texture.
You must be surprised as there is no seasoning ingredient except garam masala powder to create a specific texture of korma which is more grainy and smooth.
As it's a special recipe due to shahi touch so you can present it to your guest in the family functions. In new korma recipes, many chefs and restaurants are preparing this korma to provide special flavour to their customers.
White Chicken Korma Video
Follow the step by step recipe video of shahi "White Chicken Korma Recipe" and make your lunch and dinner time special with your loved ones.
Ingredient & Substitutions
For Chicken Mariade:
Chicken (Bone in): Used chicken with bones to get the perfect flavor of korma curry paste. If you want you can try the same recipe with boneless chicken.
Salt: To Taste
Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice to penetrate a savory flavor in chicken.
Korma Curry Ingredients:
Cooking Oil - Use any vegetable or canola oil to make this recipe. Don't use olive oil as it will not ideal to get the desired flavor of korma sauce.
Whole Garam Masala: Green Cardamom - 5 | Cumin seeds - ⅓ teaspoon | Cloves - 6 | Black Pepper - 15
Season with salt and black pepper (optional)
Onion: Slice the Indian red onion for stir frying.
Ginger Garlic: Used freshly made ginger garlic paste with water.
Green chillies (optional): Used to add spice in korma. If you like to have spicy white korma curry than add more otherwise 2 is enough or it can be skip.
Nuts Paste: Used almonds and cashews to make the nut paste in water. Coconut milk can also be used. It will help to thicken the gravy.
Garam Masala Powder - It's best to use the homemade garam masala powder to get the perfect masala taste in korma.
Yogurt - Main ingredient that will add a creamy and savory taste in curry. Use greek or fresh yogurt. Avoid to use canned or sweet yogurt packages.
How To Make White Chicken Korma
Marinade The Chicken
Place chicken in a deep bowl. Squeeze fresh lemon juice, salt and yogurt and give it a good mix and marinade for 30 minutes.
Prepare White Korma Curry
In a pan, pour oil and heat it up. Add onion in heated oil and slightly brown it. As the onion become translucent strain it from oil using spoon and take it out from pan on kitchen paper.
In the meanwhile, prepare the fine paste of stir fried translucent onion, garlic, ginger and green peppers using the blender.
In the same pan, add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black peppers) in heated oil. (Same oil that used to stir fried onions).
Add the blended paste in the pan and sauté for few minutes until oil floats on the surface. Add the marinated chicken in pan and stir on high heat to fry the chicken. As the chicken fried and oil comes over the top.
Make a paste of Almond and Cashews by adding water in the blender and add in a pan and again stir for a few minutes.
Sprinkle homemade garam masala powder. Pour water to tender the chicken. Cover for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, evaporate the excess water and make a thick curry and let the oil to get visible on pan surface.
Now, shahi white chicken korma is ready to serve. Garnish with ginger slices and green peppers as an option.
White Korma Serving
White korma is loaded with savory and nutty flavor of curry prepared with chicken or meat so it's good to serve with naan, roti, chapati or with kulcha. Many people loves to have with rice which is totally depend on your taste.
More Korma Ideas
If you are looking forward to try this 'White Chicken Korma' recipe or something else, then don’t forget to Rate the Recipe by clicking on stars and ask your query in comment section. I would love to reply to make your experience successful. It will be encouraging if you share your recipe shots to share on stories at Instagram.
Shahi White Chicken Korma Recipe
- Chicken - 600 gms
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Whole Garam Masala
- Green Cardamom - 5
- Cumin seeds - ⅓ Tsp
- Cloves - 6
- Black Pepper - 15
- Salt - To Taste
- Onion sliced - 1 Cup
- Ginger - 3x3 inches
- Garlic cloves - 3
- Green chilies - 2
- Almonds - 7
- Cashews - 9
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 Tsp
- Yogurt - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 Tsp
- Place chicken in a bowl.
- Pour some lemon juice, salt and yoghurt and mix well.
- Marinate chicken for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, pour oil and heat it up.
- Add onion in heated oil and slightly brown it.
- As the onion get the light pink colour take it out on kitchen papper.
- Now make a paste of onion, garlic, ginger and green peppers using the blender.
- Now add whole garam masala (Cumin seeds, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black peppers) in heated oil. (Same oil that used to brown onion).
- Add the blended paste in the pan and saute for few minutes until oil floats on the surface.
- Then, add the marinated chicken in pan and stir on high heat to fry the chicken.
- As the chicken fried and oil comes over the top.
- Make a paste of Almond and Cashews by adding water in the blender and add in a pan and again stir for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Pour water to tender the chicken.
- Cover for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, evaporate the excess water and make a thick curry.
- Now, shahi white chicken korma is ready to serve.
- Garnish with ginger slices and green peppers as an option.
- Don't use any ingredient that will add redness to the curry.
- Brown onion will change the color of the korma to brown so make it pink or translucent.
- Make sure to cook the chicken on high heat while making the curry to make it juicy after getting tender.
- To get creamy nut paste, it's better to soak in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- To make a perfect, smooth, and thick curry paste with a grainy texture, always blend the onion, ginger, and garlic in the blender to get the fine paste.
- It's mandatory to cook korma paste on high heat until oil is visible to the pan sides.